Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun

Thread: Better base plates for K9?

Default Better base plates for K9?

I have a k9 and would love to know if I have any options for aftermarket base plates. I like flush metal base plates. I’ve ordered a bunch from Lakeline and the 3D printing company they use. They all suck in my opinion. Any other options?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kennymallory View Post
    I have a k9 and would love to know if I have any options for aftermarket base plates. I like flush metal base plates. I’ve ordered a bunch from Lakeline and the 3D printing company they use. They all suck in my opinion. Any other options?

Have you tried the metal base plate Kahr offers?
    If not, it's not exactly a flush fit (you'll have no trouble seating the mag), but I like them for my CW9 and use them on my K9

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    If not, it's not exactly a flush fit (you'll have no trouble seating the mag), but I like them for my CW9 and use them on my K9

Regards,
    Greg
    I did look on the website but they all looked blued. Thanks maybe I’ll give the site another look.

Quote Originally Posted by kennymallory View Post
    I did look on the website but they all looked blued. Thanks maybe I’ll give the site another look.

My Kahr is the elite stainless model

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    I added those to my K9 shortly after I got it. To solve the "flush fit" issue, I simply added a 1/16" thick O-ring around the mag, which fills in the slight gap and still easily allows the mag to snap in correctly. I got ones (overall diameter) which were a little tight to start around the top of the mag, but that ensures they don't slip around any. They work well for me.

You can see how it looks in this image:

Tight groups.

Old No7
    "Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH

how much are steel bases

Quote Originally Posted by mattallamerican View Post
    how much are steel bases
    $15.00 per set of the base and lock plate (ouch, pricey!) from Kahr's website, see This Link (click here) plus any shipping charges.

I note they come in the black finish now, not the stainless finish (which is what I got a few months back).

Old No7
    "Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH

Quote Originally Posted by Old No7 View Post
    $15.00 per set of the base and lock plate (ouch, pricey!) from Kahr's website, see This Link (click here) plus any shipping charges.

I note they come in the black finish now, not the stainless finish (which is what I got a few months back).

Old No7
    I'd guess those shown in your link have the stainless finish. I believe the lighting in the photo makes them appear black. Here's a slightly adjusted copy of their image (and one of their black adjusted to about the same level):

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Are there any metal versions of the factory "lip" base plates? The factory standard base plates are dimensionally perfect to give me a full grip, but obviously they are plastic. The entire appeal of the K9 (IMHO) is that its a high quality STEEL striker-fired pistol...but the cheap plastic mag followers and base plates betray that quality. I've been using Lakeline aluminum followers without issue. I just wish there was a steel or aluminum copy of the factory plastic mag base plates.

Quote Originally Posted by USAFgoober View Post
    Are there any metal versions of the factory "lip" base plates? The factory standard base plates are dimensionally perfect to give me a full grip, but obviously they are plastic. The entire appeal of the K9 (IMHO) is that its a high quality STEEL striker-fired pistol...but the cheap plastic mag followers and base plates betray that quality. I've been using Lakeline aluminum followers without issue. I just wish there was a steel or aluminum copy of the factory plastic mag base plates.
    Couldn’t agree more.