Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CW380 200 Round Break-In

Default CW380 200 Round Break-In

For the first 100 rounds I used Winchester 95 grain Flat Nosed rounds. Had about 7 failures to fully load next round with most happening during the first 50 rounds.

The second 100 rounds did not go as well as the first 100 rounds. Bought different ammo to see if my few failures to go into full battery may have been due to the flat nosed ammo used during the first 100 rounds. This time I started with a box of Perfecta 95 grain FMJ. Unfortunately these always failed to load properly. Each round always had issues loading properly and I had to fiddle with each round. The second brand I tried was Tula 95 grain FMJ in steel cases. Kahr says not to use steel case ammo but these ran the best to date in my CW380. I did have a few rounds that failed to go into full battery but not as many times as the flat nose ammo did during the first 100 rounds.

I still like this gun very much for what it offers:

• Great size and weight for pocket carry
    • Nice stippling on front and back of grip
    • Very nice wide trigger, clean breaking, long pull but not too heavy
    • No external safety
    • Slide locks open after last shot
    • Steel magazine
    • Extremely accurate for such a small gun
    • Decent sights for such a small gun
    • Mild recoil for such a small gun
    • Hands felt fine after 100 rounds
    • Slide always locks back after last round
    • No spent case ejection issues
    • Easy takedown and cleaning
    • Made in the USA

After reading many posts on this forum I will try some of the ammo brands/types others have had success with. The ammo I used during the first 200 rounds was just the easiest to aquire in my area. If I can find the right ammo so that the gun is 100% reliable then I will be a happer camper. If not, will need to look for a better pocket carry option.

Try Blazer Brass.
    Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899

Once I sent the CW380 back to Kahr twice to get the slide lock fixed, I had the best luck with Hornady's Critical Defense Rounds. Asides from one issue that I believe was more an issue with a magazine than anything else, they feed reliably.
    Last edited by Coppertop; 09-15-2015 at 03:37 PM.

Perfecta is a Fiocchi line I believe. I've had no luck in my Kahr 380s with Fiocchi FMJ nor with flat nose FMJ. Everything else runs fine for me.
    Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899

I think you inadvertently picked some of the ammo that consistently performs poorly in Kahr's 380. You may have better luck with brass cased FMJ and Hornady Critical Defense.

Dave

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

I've had good luck with 90gr XTP from Precision One and Hornady. Fiocci Extrema 90gr XTP will not run in my P380.

Quote Originally Posted by SafetyFirst View Post
    For the first 100 rounds I used Winchester 95 grain Flat Nosed rounds. Had about 7 failures to fully load next round with most happening during the first 50 rounds.

The second 100 rounds did not go as well as the first 100 rounds. Bought different ammo to see if my few failures to go into full battery may have been due to the flat nosed ammo used during the first 100 rounds. This time I started with a box of Perfecta 95 grain FMJ. Unfortunately these always failed to load properly. Each round always had issues loading properly and I had to fiddle with each round. The second brand I tried was Tula 95 grain FMJ in steel cases. Kahr says not to use steel case ammo but these ran the best to date in my CW380. I did have a few rounds that failed to go into full battery but not as many times as the flat nose ammo did during the first 100 rounds.

I still like this gun very much for what it offers:

• Great size and weight for pocket carry
    • Nice stippling on front and back of grip
    • Very nice wide trigger, clean breaking, long pull but not too heavy
    • No external safety
    • Slide locks open after last shot
    • Steel magazine
    • Extremely accurate for such a small gun
    • Decent sights for such a small gun
    • Mild recoil for such a small gun
    • Hands felt fine after 100 rounds
    • Slide always locks back after last round
    • No spent case ejection issues
    • Easy takedown and cleaning
    • Made in the USA

After reading many posts on this forum I will try some of the ammo brands/types others have had success with. The ammo I used during the first 200 rounds was just the easiest to aquire in my area. If I can find the right ammo so that the gun is 100% reliable then I will be a happer camper. If not, will need to look for a better pocket carry option.
    why not try plishing the feed ramp and chamber. If u have a dremel, it is a no brainer. No dremel, just wrap some 1000 grit paper around a dowel and smooth away. Ur not taking off any metal and it might look shinny and smooth but, if it goes back to kahr they will indeed polish the ramp,. You never know until you try...shoot good american brand ammo, I hate to look at the flat nose ammo in such a small gun, , sureit is supposed to work but by and large, alot have issues with it. It just looks iffy to me. sometimes it just takes more rounds down range to get the bugs out, and basically to let the recil springs take their designed set, and the action itself to wear in/out any sots of friction. do check to see if your mag spring is in correctly. don't be in a hurry to send it back yet. I hate to tell you to test it out with 20 rounds of good defense ammo, but sometimes a new gun needs that hotter ammo to work the action faster and to get the reliability needed....keep your sessions short, 50 rounds, so u don't get tired and then things happen tha tis not the guns fault. Have u read the PROPPER PREPPING THREAD? Might be some tips there thatyou can do yourself...good luck and keep the forum posted, we have some very wise guys here that can help you.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

I would find some better ammo and try it,nothing too expensive(ie.expensive self defense rounds)but a reputable brand round nose should be sufficient to break it in.
    Perfecta is known to be bad juju in these guns,some feed the winchester flat nose fine(mine does),others do not.

It's the ammo. Use a different one. Take the Fiocchi round and measure with a few rounds in the box. Compare it to critical defense or Remington

I think you will see why you have problems.

Buy some PPU online. That's what I broke my CW380 in with along with Polycase ARX for carry. I am not kidding, I have not had a single issue ever. I did run one box of Federal aluminum without a hitch as well.

Cheers,

Derek

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk