Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: .380 +p

Freedom munitions has a decent sale now, 10% off their own stuff, $7.50 shipping. I bought a fair amount of remanuf. 380, 9, and 45 for range use . Usually they only have 5% off on just one caliber. No Sales tax either.

The 380 XD bullets by Lehigh came today. Will probably test them in the Kahr on Monday. The tip is not as narrow as I had hoped, but it is slightly narrower than the XP, and is not as squared off as the XP. Hopefully it cycles.

Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    wasin gander mountain about 3 weeks ago and boughty a 1000 rounds bulk of blazer brass 9mm for 2294 thought that was a great price, epecialy for gander,. Thius week I was in there snooping and they had the same 1000 blazer brass 9mm for 279$..Inflation moves fast at Gander mt. Course the first price of 229$ did not come withg a free finger swab, the 2794 price gets u a free fingert swab by their newly hired gal . they call her Monica. Just sain

erichard - looking forward to your report on the XD. Mine should arrive Tuesday.

Dave

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

I have a new CW380 and purchased underwood +p XD for it. In my experience I am almost willing to say it feeds smoother than ball ammo when cycling by hand. Perhaps due to lighter weight bullet it is less weight to push forward. I've tried to orient them in such a way that they fail but haven't found a position yet. The new nickel plated starline brass underwood is using is nice too. Recoil is noticeable but manageable. My LC9 with HST +p 124 grain has more kick though and neither is unruly. I would love to chronograph them as underwood claims 1400 fp/s. I wonder what barrel length they use. 4"?

Ballistic gel tests don't impress me. Human tissue doesn't react the way that gel reacts. Human tissue stretches. Ballistic gel tears. Those impressive temporary wound channels don't exist in real life. I've killed a lot of deer and never saw a temporary wound channel that looked anything like what we see in ballistic gel.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Quote Originally Posted by muggsy View Post
    Ballistic gel tests don't impress me. Human tissue doesn't react the way that gel reacts. Human tissue stretches. Ballistic gel tears. Those impressive temporary wound channels don't exist in real life. I've killed a lot of deer and never saw a temporary wound channel that looked anything like what we see in ballistic gel.
    I like them because they are essentially a really light and fast flat nose ball round. Lighter ball rounds tend to stop quicker so if I can get a fast lightweight bullet that doesn't overpenetrate but still penetrates decently and doesn't turn to powder like many other "exotic" options out there, I'm happy. I'm speculating but I feel like their speed and sharp edges decreases the chance of deflection as well. The holes on paper are close to 25% larger and looks like a four leaf clover shaped hole punch which may or may not mean much of anything. If anything the channels are a really clever way to reduce the weight of a ball round. I don't usually like exotic rounds but these have me hooked.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldcoyote View Post
    I ran a few rounds from my CW 380 through the chronograph and thought it might be of interest.

Pro Chrono at 10 feet

Monarch, Academy, Privi Partizan 94 gr RN - average of 7- 855 fps, recoil mild

Precision One +P 90 gr XTP, average of 5 - 893 fps, recoil mild

Underwood +P 90gr XTP, average of 6, 1119 fps, recoil brutal. No like.

I have not tried Underwood REGULAR 90 gr XTP. When Shootingthebull410 fired these from a 2.8 inch barrel, he got 923 fps. This probably means they are about the same as the Precision One +P. Curious.

To minimize controversy, I concede the following:
    There is no SAAMi standard for .380 +P and therefore no such ammo should ever be used
    If you need .380 +P, you should just get a 9mm and have all your pants pockets enlarged
    This is good information, thanks for posting it.

I chronographed CCI Lawman 90 JHP in my Walther PPK several years ago. Using a Competition Electronics chronograph placed 15 feet from the muzzle, the Average Velocity was 937 fps. I've anchored a lot of varmints with the cartridge.