Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Liberal 9th Circuit backs right to carry firearms in public

Default Liberal 9th Circuit backs right to carry firearms in public

For once a good ruling by the 9th Circuit Court.

The liberal Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals endorsed the right of individuals to carry firearms in public in a ruling Tuesday, striking down a lower court argument that the Constitution only protects that right at home.

Judge Diarmuid O’Scannlain wrote in his opinion that “for better or for worse, the Second Amendment does protect a right to carry a firearm in public for self-defense.”

In his dissent, Judge Richard Clifton said states have “long allowed for extensive regulations of and limitations on the public carry of firearms,” the order said.

"We are disappointed in the decision that would undermine Hawaii’s strong gun control law and our commitment to protect the public,” Hawaii Attorney General Russell Suzuki said in a statement. “But we note that Judge Clifton filed a well-reasoned dissent supporting the constitutionality of this law. We intend to consult with Hawai‘i County and work with them on further action."

It’s the second time this month that the three-judge panel issued a pro-Second Amendment decision, after backing a lower court’s decision last week to suspend California’s ban on the possession of large magazines.
    The Second Amendment states: “A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

Activists, supported by the National Rifle Association, have argued that the state's ban on ownership of magazines holding 10 bullets or more is unconstitutional. They won a preliminary injunction by a San Diego district court last year, and a three-judge panel on the Ninth Circuit backed that injunction last week.

Based in San Francisco, the Ninth Circuit has a reputation for being one of the nation's most liberal courts. Critics have branded the court the “Nutty 9th” or the “9th Circus,” in part because many of its rulings have been overturned by the U.S. Supreme Court. This includes an infamous 2002 ruling that the Pledge of Allegiance is unconstitutional because of its use of the phrase “under God.”

High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California

I'm going out to open carry tonight!
    23 years in a Federal Penitentiary, 6x8 double bunked rooms with toilets

Quote Originally Posted by Bobshouse View Post
    I'm going out to open carry tonight!
    Outstanding!!!!

I wonder what this will ultimately lead to in other states. I read this news in another article. They went on to state that the feds give states the power to restrict one type of carry (open or concealed), but that the states can not ban both. So...we can currently conceal carry (with a permit) in Floriduh. I wonder if we will be able to open carry as well? Me an a friend have talked about making a small vacation trip to Texas just so we can open carry for a while (feel a little more freedom).

Quote Originally Posted by BirdsThaWord View Post
    I wonder what this will ultimately lead to in other states. I read this news in another article. They went on to state that the feds give states the power to restrict one type of carry (open or concealed), but that the states can not ban both. So...we can currently conceal carry (with a permit) in Floriduh. I wonder if we will be able to open carry as well? Me an a friend have talked about making a small vacation trip to Texas just so we can open carry for a while (feel a little more freedom).
    I live in Florida too. Started surfing the web looking at OWB holsters for my P9.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

It may be a game changer here in Texas for Constitutional Carry and change of state laws that are way overdue.

Just in case you're immediately tempted, guys.....recognize this ruling only applies to the western states, which include HI, under 9th Circuit Court jurisdiction.
    NRA Benefactor

Quote Originally Posted by ltxi View Post
    Just in case you're immediately tempted, guys.....recognize this ruling only applies to the western states, which include HI, under 9th Circuit Court jurisdiction.
    Understood.

It will be a long time before open carry comes to Florida.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    Understood.

It will be a long time before open carry comes to Florida.
    True! With the candidates we have for governorship right now, it’s not quite even 50/50. May be a bit as Floriduh has recently done some caving in towards the lefts desires for gun control.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    I live in Florida too. Started surfing the web looking at OWB holsters for my P9.
    I would hold off on that purchase. Remember..... Florida use to be an open carry state till the Tourist Bureau got to Janet Reno when she was FL Attorney General. With all the Parkland, and the nightclub shooting in Orlando I think politicians here in FLorida are playing cover their 6 and not going to consider open carry for a while.