CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop

Thread: recommendations wanted for P380 performance

Default recommendations wanted for P380 performance

Hey guys I am interested in upgrading my P380... I know that galloway makes a SS striker guide... Are there other upgrades that you could recommend?

I have had some issues with mine with failure to feed, not going into battery and the slide not locking back after the last round was fired... I would really like to get mine tuned up so that it is more reliable

For the striker upgrade I would go with Lakeline.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Failure to feed and go into battery, check the tension on the extractor claw.

High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California

Polish! Get the lakeline striker. Polish around the barrel feed ramp. Polish, polish, polish...wherever there is a rub mark.

and it should run like a top.
    23 years in a Federal Penitentiary, 6x8 double bunked rooms with toilets

Quote Originally Posted by Bobshouse View Post
    Polish! Get the lakeline striker. Polish around the barrel feed ramp. Polish, polish, polish...wherever there is a rub mark.

and it should run like a top.
    I second the polishing advice. Did this to my CW380 Tungsten and eliminated 90% of all FTE/FTF problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    Hey guys I am interested in upgrading my P380... I know that galloway makes a SS striker guide... Are there other upgrades that you could recommend?

I have had some issues with mine with failure to feed, not going into battery and the slide not locking back after the last round was fired... I would really like to get mine tuned up so that it is more reliable
    I don't like to upgrade without "intent." Ask yourself what you're trying to achieve, then focus on doing it. You said you wanted to make your gun "more reliable." Is it unreliable now? In what way?

As I recall, I've done three things to my P380. My first intention was to polish up the internals to aid feeding, before I even shot the gun. The finish was surprisingly good right out of the box, so I just touched up the feed ramp a little bit. Had I not already had all the tools out before looking at the gun, I would have just left it as it came from the factory.

The second thing I did before firing it was to install a Lakeline striker, to diminish chances of breakages, as I had read about on the Internet forums.

Lastly, I threw some Magguts parts into one of my magazines, to increase capacity. After using it, I like the way the follower works more than I do the factory follower.

Oh, yeah. There's one more thing. My gun was 100% reliable... except with Fiocchi ammo. With Fiocchi, it was awful. My extractor spring was freakishly strong, but I never adjusted it because the gun ran so well. After hiccuping on Fiocchi, I decreased the spring preload a little bit. I haven't purchased any Fiocchi in years, but I might some time just to see if it feeds and extracts better now.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
    Lastly, I threw some Magguts parts into one of my magazines, to increase capacity. After using it, I like the way the follower works more than I do the factory follower.
    I think this is hugely underrated, especially for some of the feeding issues on a certain percentage of these little guys.

Basically with micro pistols it's cleaning and strong grips solves most problems, I use JB compound to polish chamber feed ramp, find an ammo your gun likes and stick with it, in my opinion the quality of "some" commercial ammo has declined. Changing out parts on a gun that malfunctions can at times be a mistake.

Lakeline striker
    MagGuts kits
    Galloway striker guide
    Adjust extractor clearance
    Polish feed ramp

Those are the things I did to mine to improve reliability. Not counting the 5-year ordeal to solve a light primer strike issue. The only reason why put up with all of this is because it's easily the most shootable pocket .380 out there... when it runs.