Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 22 Long Rifle Version?

Another fun plinker I used to own....A Phoenix Arms .22LR. Reliable and pretty damn accurate. Really wish I still had it.

The beatings may start now.
    NRA Benefactor

Pedro offers you his protection.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by ltxi View Post
    Another fun plinker I used to own....A Phoenix Arms .22LR. Reliable and pretty damn accurate. Really wish I still had it.

The beatings may start now.
    Thanks Pedro!

I have an HP-22, and it's lots of fun to shoot.

Brought a lot of smiles to youngsters and new shooters as well.

I suppose it'd be better than a sharp stick, and certainly the equal of a rock.

Never the less, it's a hoot to shoot it at the plinking range. Got my money's worth out of it, and then some...

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ed M; 10-18-2017 at 05:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by skiflydive View Post
    I don't have a good way to take/post a picture right now. Story is I was cycling some ammo through one day and noticed the chamber edge was skiving/peeling little shavings of lead. I figured that had to be providing enough resistance that the slide wasn't going into battery all the time. Sometimes it was worse than others and the peeling wasn't as bad with copper washed ammo. I figured the resistance was the same either way. I used a little curved riffler file to break the sharp edge on the bottom of the chamber throat. Not so much of a chamfer or bevel as it was just breaking the sharp edge. It helped immediately. I used a riffler because I had one but a small round bur or stone in a dremel would be just as effective I think as long as you aren't too aggressive.
    That's helpful, I think mine has the same affliction. Can't really hurt to try it.

I concur. No need for Kahr to reinvent the wheel for .22lr. I hadn't shot anything in 40 years when two friends convinced me to get a CCL. I thought through the issues and went for it. At the class I qualified with 50 rounds through a Beretta Neos. At the time all I knew was its caliber. Fun to shoot and, while not a tack driver, quite accurate. Two years later I bought one when ammo prices were above $.45 a round for .45 ACP. It's still fun to shoot and shooting golf balls on a line of string at 20' is a challenge. Hitting a swinging one even more so. 2" screws into the balls allow tie lines. My PM45 always goes with me. .45 prices are back down to $.32-.35 so 50 - 100 rounds go through paper or election signs in a session. The .22 Neos is stress relief. Federal 325s are $.04556 a round at Walmart anytime these days. The nice thing is .22lr also fits my Marlin Model 60, which is also amazing and fun.
    Sent from the ethers by magic.
    Archeologists have discovered that ancient people loved to drink from broken cups.

I tried a 22 conversion kit once. Still have it but don't like it at all. Sig Sauer 938-22. Same gun, different operation. According to a conversation I had with Sig, the springs in 22 conversion magazines nare not strong enough to reliably operate the slide catch. Therefor the slide locks open on the rear of the magazine. To insert a new magazine you have to rack the slide fully to the rear and manually lock it. Then you can drop the magazine.

I think the best 22 long rifle companion piece to the Kahr is actually the Ruger LCRX.

Quote Originally Posted by greg_r View Post
    I think the best 22 long rifle companion piece to the Kahr is actually the Ruger LCRX.
    I concur, the trigger would be very similar.

Having a kahr.22 conversion would seem to me almost like having one for a Glock, which we have. The balancing act between the recoil spring and striker spring is critical. To have a no misfires there needs to be a strong striker spring which adds to a heavy trigger pull. When the trigger spring is to stiff, it will pull the slide back a bit as the striker spring compresses. On release the striker and slide move forward causing a buffer to the striker hit. So what's needed is a stiffer recoil spring, and this could cause stove pipes.

Wife has a Glock 17 with a Advantage arms .22 conversion unit. It's ammo sensitive. Rem. Golden Bullets, CCi Mini Mags or CCi Blazers. I assume these are the only recommended rounds recommended because they don't create any stove pipes. But there are still misfires. Any other common brand of ammo like Fed. Win. etc. cause stove pipes.

This scenario also happens with other Glock .22 conversion manufacturers which have the same ammo recommendation.

IMHO the possible shorter throw of a Kahr striker compared to a Glock would add misfires.

Maybe this is why Glock hasn't come out with a .22 Hey I'm not an engineer or expert. This is only MHO.

I had an Advantage Arms 26/27LE slide when I still had my Glock 26. Ran just fine with Golden Bullets and CCI. It can be done, but not sure with the Kahr cam. It is a kinda short throw. But it sure would be fun if they could do it.

I recently purchased a Smith and Wesson Victory. I love it.