Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Follow up question on CW45 mags

Default Follow up question on CW45 mags

Okay, since the Officer's Model mags work in the CW45, how well do regular size 1911 mags work?
    "The Deacon" Zoot Shooter #84
    Yup, I'm the guy at Surplus Rifle

How well do you want them to work?
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

They work just fine, they just hang down a little bit.

Default wilson mag ?

Well , bought Wilson #47,ox 7 round magazine and it will not seat in my new gun (Cw45) seems to hit slide before it locks in Did I buy wrong mag? Just trying to gather up spare mags and ammo while waiting for chance to go to range.

Quote Originally Posted by wsgrady View Post
    Well , bought Wilson #47,ox 7 round magazine and it will not seat in my new gun (Cw45) seems to hit slide before it locks in Did I buy wrong mag? Just trying to gather up spare mags and ammo while waiting for chance to go to range.
    Is that loaded or empty?
    If it's empty, is the front of the magazine base plate hitting the bottom of the frame? Will the mag lock in with the slide locked back? If it does, try easing the slide forward to see if it hits the magazine.
    If loaded (and you don't have any of the issues above with the mag empty), it probably just needs a little extra force to seat it (at least enough to compress the top round some).
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Default Thanks to Greg

Removed slide and checked magazine fit, inserted mag and it locked into place. Last night seemed like it was hitting the extractor and failing to lock in to place, re-assembled and loaded round into mag and lo and behold with a little more robust slap on bottom of mag it locked into place...Yeah ! Repeated this process 10 - 15 times with round in magazine with no problem. Took round out of mag to give it a try...locked into place with no problems other than little more effort to slap it in, and this seems to get easier with repeated cycling. Mag does extend out of grip @1/4 inch more than oem but I actually prefer that, easier to do when under stress. Thanks for your time and help Greg, got the magazine I wanted to perform as desired and didn't need to make an un-necessary return to seller.

Have a Great Thanksgiving day !!

P.S. will not lock slide back however..
    Last edited by wsgrady; 11-28-2013 at 01:25 PM. Reason: additional info

I read some where that on a or one of the wilson mags you have grind a 10th" to nothing off top of mag at the front of the mag. NOT the feed lips. Rack the slide back and lock it. Insert a empty mag and easy the slide forward and you should see where it makes contact. If I can find the tread I post a link.

See if this helps-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EBWZvFBeUY

I just received two Wilson 7 rd mags from an e bay seller. They are supposed to be 2 Metal Form 6 rounders. They do not lock in with slide forward. Slide open no problem. Try to release slide and can feel it ride on mags. I can see where a very small amount of metal will need to be removed from top of mags. No big deal. The Wilson mags look to be good quality so not too upset by getting wrong mags.

Literally 5 minutes with a set of files and one mag inserts and locks in no problem. Slide open or closed. Releasing slide with mag inserted leads to no interference. Mag full with ball ammo, the slide strips off round after round with slide stop release. And, empty mag locks open the slide, hand cycling. I know actual shooting results may differ in that department. Only going to modify one mag at this time. See how it functions under firing conditions

I took small flat diamond file and removed a couple thousands of the top of magazine towards rear, did not touch feed lips, slide does lock back and mag feeds and ejects with several different ammo types no problem. I also noticed the plastic bumper on bottom of mag on the front side makes contact before it locks into pistol, took razor and removed first step on the bumper and it made big difference in how much effort it takes to seat mag in pistol, much easier now. However, me thinks this foray may bring about OCD behavior if one stays with it in lieu of just buying more oem mag's.