Kahr Shop   Xssights   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The barrels - what IS the real deal?

Default The barrels - what IS the real deal?

Folks: I really don't see any details out there as to whether the 'premium' Lothar barrels make ANY difference in accuracy (or anything else for that matter).

All I ever see from reviewers is that they THINK there is a difference at longer range. Even "Amy" does the Kahr 200 yard shot with a value line pistol. IS there any difference that has been demonstrated?

Thanks.

The BG or target won't see any difference but in laboratory tests there may be. I always purchase the P series. Extra mags included, dovetail sights and elitist attitude.

I've owned both. They shot the same. But I never tried it at 200 yards.
    ​O|||||||O

I found that they do with my own shooting. It is marginal but noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by CPTKILLER View Post
    I found that they do with my own shooting. It is marginal but noticeable.
    I don't doubt you but I do find that surprising. I guess it depends on the shooter. I'm not a good enough shooter for there to show any noticeable result difference, if any.
    ​O|||||||O

I COULD have picked up a TP9 cheaper, but I sprung for the Tig ST9 instead - the finish is nice and its looks way cool. I do think the front serrations cool and likely useful.

And... I don't see the barrel as a 'lesser' thing in any case,and can find NO evidence otherwise.

The differences between premium and lower grade Kahr barrels may be in their life span, as polygonal barrels are reputed to last longer, and in their ease of cleaning. The cleaning factor is one reason I like polygonal barrels personally. The steel is also different between the two classes of barrel and that too may extend the life.

The other difference between premium and other grades is in the steel used to make the slides. The price factor increase for premium Kahrs does have some quality reasons other than sight dovetail cuts, and an extra mag, (or two).

I imagine the accuracy is essentially the same or close enough for most users. Velocity differences are negligible.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

Way to many factors involved..................................I say, if it makes you feel better, get the poly barrel. As has been mentioned, there are more extras besides just the barrel in the premium lineup.

I primarily wanted to focus on barrels on this thread. From this, and other searches I would conclude that there is no discernible difference. I NEVER hear results - only speculation.

Barrel life on a carry gun will not render a difference. I'll never shoot more than a couple thousand rounds, and the difference for polygonal rifling would not be seen for several thousand.

I had NO idea the slides on the premium guns had different metallurgy. Have a link for that? Thanks.

I would like dovetailed sights, BUT, the C's are double staked and I'd only change the front if ever - and replacing the front sight on these is easier than using a sight pusher.

Didn't want to turn this into a Premium vs. Value line thread, but...

I've never heard that the slides are made of different metallurgy. Just less machining and cosmetics on the value line.

I've often thought what a man I would be to completely wear out a carry gun. I'm not sure it can be done.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."