Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: uh-oh now i'm hooked, first IDPA match

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

I use a comp-tac OWB (not a paddle) IDPA holster set which includes their mag pouches...with my S&W M&P40PRO. Dawson front sight. Factory flat black back sight. Puffy reloads. The Comp-tac is made specifically for the gun. You might check with them to see what they have for your guns. A lot of guys stick with Fobus or Blackhawk.
    My Sword - PM4044N/CTL/Talons
    - "One should diligently train at all times." Miyamoto Musashi
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "A single sword against the cold sky." Yamaoka Tesshu
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

garyb, thanks!

Funny, I had gone back and ran across another thread you had posted in about the Comp-Tac rig you run, but I had also JUST ordered an International and two tek-lok mag carriers right before finding that thread.

I did some reading last night and this morning. I used to run an Infidel w/ my PM9 and P9, but switched to Remora for my daily carry holster. Was always happy w/ the Infidel, but sold it to another member here last year. But always had been happy w/ the construction of that Comp-Tac holster. I'm so 'instant gratification', while I might like an Old Faithful, wasn't willing to wait weeks for it. Some of the other options I found were Custom Carry Concepts and LHS Holsters, both make a taco/kydex solution for the P-01. Again, as much as an 8 week wait for them.

I really wanted to find something 'dual purpose' like a Raven Phantom, that would ride high for concealed carry for those rare occasions when I want to carry the CZ OWB. But I'll be happy w/ this either way and I think it'll work better if I tackle USPSA at some point.

I went w/ the Infidel initially b/c of Comp-Tacs reputation in the shooting competitions...so I expect the International will live up to the few pretty stellar reviews of it out there.

Default Me Too!

Shot my first IDPA match today. I am hooked too. It was a BUG match. You had to shoot around a car door - holding a baby, then seated across a poker table, plus six other defensive scenarios. It was a blast. Thanks chrish for getting me off my but. One more week and I would have missed the whole season. Oh, by the way. I brought the right gun, mags, ammo, holster, etc. Helps to pack your bag the night before.
    ​O|||||||O

Mr funny man! hehe. Glad you had fun.

I didn't get to go to the October match and the November match next weekend is at night (flashlight shooting). Not sure I want to tackle that just yet but I bet it'll be a hoot. I'm going to start up again in January. One of the guys told me that the season here starts slow/easy (January) and gets progressively more complex.

In the meantime, I think I might try my hand at USPSA later this month. I picked up a new rig (comp-tac international + mag holders) up a couple weeks back for my P-01. USPSA is in a couple of weeks, so maybe...will have to see.

Really. I had to shoot one handed while holding a baby (doll). I cleared that stage in a pretty respectable time. I really didn't make any glaring errors but there was one stage where you had to hit a target twice before it went away and I was too slow and only got one on. That cost me a 5 second penalty. The k40 ran perfect. My brother in law accidentally hit his safety when he holstered his M&P Shield. It took him what seemed like forever to figure out what was wrong. Just reinforces that manual safeties aren't a good idea on a carry piece.
    ​O|||||||O

Quote Originally Posted by b4uqzme View Post
    Really. I had to shoot one handed while holding a baby (doll). I cleared that stage in a pretty respectable time. I really didn't make any glaring errors but there was one stage where you had to hit a target twice before it went away and I was too slow and only got one on. That cost me a 5 second penalty. The k40 ran perfect. My brother in law accidentally hit his safety when he holstered his M&P Shield. It took him what seemed like forever to figure out what was wrong. Just reinforces that manual safeties aren't a good idea on a carry piece.

HA! Yea, I meant 'funny man' about your comment about taking all the right gear and packing the night before...figured you were poking fun at me on that one (which I deserve). But the baby doll thing I believed, had a couple of similar stages when I went.

I agree about the safety thing. Couple of guys in my group had issues w/ theirs as well and they were more 'experienced' folks that had competed before. I'll never have a firearm w/ a safety, carry or otherwise. I really don't keep guns that I don't consider for HD or carry. At some point, when I get old and crotchety, maybe I'll have the $ to do that, but for now, I only buy and shoot what I intend to have available for carry, home defense, or shtf...and in all 3 cases, don't want a safety involved.

Oh yeah, that I was

I guess you can train for a manual safety but I'm with you: not on my carry pieces. I've had a hankering for a CZ97 but the only one I found was a safety model so I didn't buy it. It can be kinda embarrassing on the trap range too asking for a second bird because you forgot to flip the safety... takes practice.
    ​O|||||||O

back to the IDPA. I'm definitely gonna shoot the series next season ... I'm that hooked. If I can find the right leather holster, I'll shoot a Hi Power in 40sw...just to be different
    ​O|||||||O

Default been

Quote Originally Posted by b4uqzme View Post
    Oh yeah, that I was

I guess you can train for a manual safety but I'm with you: not on my carry pieces. I've had a hankering for a CZ97 but the only one I found was a safety model so I didn't buy it. It can be kinda embarrassing on the trap range too asking for a second bird because you forgot to flip the safety... takes practice.
    there, done that on a skeet range many times, never competitively, as I was not worth a sh!t at skeet either but it was fun. I shoot for years a 100 year old Iver Johnson Skeeter side by side. Finest factory wood anyone had ever seen, each peace serial numbered also. It was a hell of a dove gun though but not really a good skeet gun for ol jocko..

I think the day I get to serious about shooting and guns, is the day will sell um all
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Been thinking about going to shoot trap/skeet/sporting-clays, but have yet to do it. Afraid I'd be hooked on that then too. Buddy recently went for the first time and he had a blast shooting sporting clays. Been looking at one of those new 'rebadged' Akkar CZ shotguns, the 612. It's an 18.5" SD shotgun for around $275 that you can get a longer field barrel as well (24" maybe). Pump. Cheap. Figured I'd have a SD shotgun on the cheap even if I never went and tried sporting clays.

After all this talk, looking forward to getting back to an IDPA match now. Maybe I will have to go shoot in the dark...