Crimsontrace   Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new

Thread: What causes my guide rod to do this Kahr owners?

Default What causes my guide rod to do this Kahr owners?

I've had this happen a couple of times to me after reassembling my CM9 - i don't find myself doing anything different when putting everything together but after connecting the slide and pulling it back to insert the slide stop sometimes what you see in these photos will happen - the guide rod will protrude just a bit out of the frame

generally all i have to do is pull off the slide and reinsert it and the problem goes away and the guide rod is properly seated

all good, just wondering if anyone knows what would cause that to happen in the first place - what should i be looking for to avoid the rod from protruding?

thx

- Richard

The guide rod isn't seated just where it needs to be. It's kind of deceiving as it's not perfectly centered but off set just a bit.
    Sometimes I have trouble getting the slide to go back on the frame, just move the recoil assembly a tad and it goes on fine.

I don't often end up with what you have but once in awhile.

The fact that you take it apart and try again it's ok kind of makes my theory work, works for me too.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

It happens on my MK9 more than any other Kahr. I pull the slide back a bit, then grab the end of the recoil rod and wiggle it, it will snap in place.
    NRA Benefactor

Also make sure the end part (a better term escapes me right now) of the spring is oriented up toward the front sight. Don't know why but this seems to make a difference.

That's true on models with a guide rod and a separate spring, prevents the spring from wanting to sneak out the front as the barrel tilts.
    This looks like a one piece recoil assembly so shouldn't really matter.
    Least ways that's the way I see it, but as usual I could be totally wrong here.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by skiflydive View Post
    Also make sure the end part (a better term escapes me right now) of the spring is oriented up toward the front sight. Don't know why but this seems to make a difference.
    yes, i always make sure the end of the spring coil is oriented up in the frame, as you suggested

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    That's true on models with a guide rod and a separate spring, prevents the spring from wanting to sneak out the front as the barrel tilts.
    This looks like a one piece recoil assembly so shouldn't really matter.
    Least ways that's the way I see it, but as usual I could be totally wrong here.
    My CM9 has dual captive recoil springs - i have a theory that when reassembling the slide onto the frame if you push the slide too far back on the frame, then bring it back into proper alignment with the slide stop, it may cause this problem - i have absolutely no proof positive that that is what causes the problem, only that it seems to happen to me when i do run the slide a little too far back while trying to line up the slide stop and have to bring it back to the alignment position

Quote Originally Posted by kenemoore View Post
    It happens on my MK9 more than any other Kahr. I pull the slide back a bit, then grab the end of the recoil rod and wiggle it, it will snap in place.
    I'm gonna take your advice and try that next time this happens to me - might save me from having to remove the slide and start all over again - usually when it was sticking out like that i would trying racking the slide a couple of times but that didn't help - didn't really want to try messing with it too much

My PM9 did this until I figured out what was happening...When you install the two piece recoil spring in place the rear round piece needs to rest on top of the barrel ledge to work right...If it slips off the ledge and gets pushed down towards the barrel it will cause the bind up when you try and put the slide on like in the picture...That is why you can pull back on the slide and wiggle the guide rod and move it back on top of the ledge and clicks into place....

Quote Originally Posted by getsome View Post
    My PM9 did this until I figured out what was happening...When you install the two piece recoil spring in place the rear round piece needs to rest on top of the barrel ledge to work right...If it slips off the ledge and gets pushed down towards the barrel it will cause the bind up when you try and put the slide on like in the picture...That is why you can pull back on the slide and wiggle the guide rod and move it back on top of the ledge and clicks into place....
    I see, there really isn't much to that ledge for the guide rod to rest on so i can buy into it easily slipping down a bit - honestly the resting ledge on my barrel is almost non existent and i have to actually pull it up sometimes when i notice it seated too low - i'll keep an eye for that too

thx

- Richard