Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PM9 fails pencil test

Default PM9 fails pencil test

This morning I dis assembled my 15 year old PM9's slide to clean out the crud & oil (first time doing this). Now upon re assembly it won't pass the pencil test. It won't even make the pencil move. Assembly went smoothly so any suggestions?

The striker must not be in there correctly. Can you push down on the drop safety and move the striker forward and backward. Forward enough to protrude from the bolt face?

You should be able to push down that safety and shake the slide and it should rattle.

I can't think of any way to put the striker in wrong, I'm stumped but pondering.

You have a good square firm eraser so the striker has something good to hit. Or use a new unsharpened pencil and put the front end down.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I can push down on the drop safety and move the striker far enough to protrude from the bolt face. I just did an experiment, I sized and primed an empty case, chambered it and fired it with no problem! I'm perplexed. I did try a new unsharpened pencil and it still failed. I won't be able to get to the range till later this week to test with live ammo. Thank you for your response!

If it fired the primer, unless you plan on loading it with pencils you're probably good to go. But do post back about how it runs at the range.

That's what I figured as well. Perplexing though because before I took it apart it passed the pencil test. I'll post results after my range trip.

I HAD A WHOLE DIFFERENT IMAGE WHEN YOU MENTIONED "PENCIL TEST "
    "If we ever forget we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." Ronald Reagan

All is well! My range trip today verified that my PM9 is as reliable as it ever was!

I'll bet that's a relief. Any idea then why the pencil test fails?

Quote Originally Posted by dao View Post
    I'll bet that's a relief. Any idea then why the pencil test fails?
    I have no idea! I was concerned when it wouldn't move the pencil, but it fires live ammo reliably.