Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop   Xssights   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IDPA with a 380

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

Default IDPA with a 380

The official IDPA rules don't allow 380's. I ran into a safety officer and his wife at a Christmas party. They both shoot IDPA and are very competitive. I mentioned that I'd love to see my wife come out to shoot to improve her gun handling skills. They had a nice long chat with her and welcomed her to bring her 380 and shoot with us. As a local club, they can make concessions to get folks involved. IDPA folks are really good people. They seemed to have her partially talked into it. I'll need to pick up a couple more mags and mag pouches for her. It will be worth it if she is coming out to shoot. Hope she does, as it will significantly improve her gun handling skills and confidence...to the level she was at with her black powder competition...as FL Woman's State champ. I'm ready to reload for her 380, so we'll see where this goes in 2014.
    My Sword - PM4044N/CTL/Talons
    - "One should diligently train at all times." Miyamoto Musashi
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "A single sword against the cold sky." Yamaoka Tesshu
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

Might want to see if there is a BUG competition near you. I think that calib is allowed in BUG stuff.

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

That happens once a year at each range. We may get involved in that one too. I am guessing that once she gets started and can manage her 380 slide better, her mechanics will improve to where she can manage a 9 or 40. When we purchased her BG380 it was the only slide she felt comfortable to work. Her mechanics are kind of poor until she gets the hang of things. She is not a weak woman, it is strictly her comfort and mechanics. She will enjoy the game and will want a competitive gun eventually. For now, it is a matter of simply getting her out to shoot some stations and have some fun. She shoots at targets with me, but IDPA is a much different thing. The scenarios and stages are what make major improvements to gun handling skills.
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

That sounds like something I might enjoy trying. I haven't shot in competition in years.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Quote Originally Posted by muggsy View Post
    That sounds like something I might enjoy trying. I haven't shot in competition in years.

I guarantee that you would have a great time. Good folks from experts down to very old and slow. All Very helpful. Just good fun, joking, but all safe. Lots of good SD situations. Worth visiting a local range that offers IDPA to watch a match. You'd pick up some things just watching. Highly recommend that you explore this.
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

I would look at a full size M&P9, I think you will find the slide to be much easier to operate than the BG and a lot more enjoyable shooting IDPA.
    I have been shooting IDPA for a few years with a stock M&P Pro9, works great. Now and then I take the Glock 23 for a little added adventure and practice.
    Regardless, I think your wife will enjoy it, its a fun event with a lot of nice shooters. Our club runs an informal IDPA that draws over 250 shooters once a month.
    Good Luck, Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by garyb View Post
    The official IDPA rules don't allow 380's. I ran into a safety officer and his wife at a Christmas party. They both shoot IDPA and are very competitive. I mentioned that I'd love to see my wife come out to shoot to improve her gun handling skills. They had a nice long chat with her and welcomed her to bring her 380 and shoot with us. As a local club, they can make concessions to get folks involved. IDPA folks are really good people. They seemed to have her partially talked into it. I'll need to pick up a couple more mags and mag pouches for her. It will be worth it if she is coming out to shoot. Hope she does, as it will significantly improve her gun handling skills and confidence...to the level she was at with her black powder competition...as FL Woman's State champ. I'm ready to reload for her 380, so we'll see where this goes in 2014.

IDPA season starts this Saturday!!!!
    ​O|||||||O

Quote Originally Posted by garyb View Post
    I guarantee that you would have a great time. Good folks from experts down to very old and slow. All Very helpful. Just good fun, joking, but all safe. Lots of good SD situations. Worth visiting a local range that offers IDPA to watch a match. You'd pick up some things just watching. Highly recommend that you explore this.
    Old and slow? Are you trying to tell me something Gary?
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Bug match in Bowling Green tomorrow. Green river gun club.
    www.bggrgc.com

Quote Originally Posted by muggsy View Post
    Old and slow? Are you trying to tell me something Gary?

Expert of course!
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"