Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace   Xssights   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Design Flaw? Or just lazy?

Default Design Flaw? Or just lazy?

Does anyone else out there think Kahr could have done a better job designing the base of the magazine with reference to how it fits with the gun?

For $700.00 I expect the look of the gun to equal it's shootability. Look at how the magazine and even extended magazines look with cheaper guns like the Beretta Nano.

Or the Springfield XDS or anything from Walther.

I think having that stainless plate just hanging out there looks cheap. I added the Pearce grip extensions and I think it makes it look a little better but nothing like the guns I mentioned above where the magazine looks like part of the butt of the gun.

I've aways favored the 1911 look for a base plate fit. It flows nicely with the rest of the gun design. But Kahr designed there's their on way and so does every other maker, so it is what it is. I like the way mine shoots and that's all I care about.

I agree.. My XD SubCompact 9 mags look like the base is integrated into the grip. The extended mag has a collar that makes it a smooth full size grip. Also, my wife's SW bodyguard is the same way as well as the shield... Kahr could have at least made the base plate sit up tight to the bottom of the mag well instead of that 1/8" gap. That would make the Pearce look much better anyway..

Default Design Flaw? Or just lazy?

Quote Originally Posted by wtim View Post
    Does anyone else out there think Kahr could have done a better job designing the base of the magazine with reference to how it fits with the gun?

For $700.00 I expect the look of the gun to equal it's shootability. Look at how the magazine and even extended magazines look with cheaper guns like the Beretta Nano.

I think having that stainless plate just hanging out there looks cheap. I added the Pearce grip extensions and I think it makes it look a little better but nothing like the guns I mentioned above where the magazine looks like part of the butt of the gun.
    I agree I don't like the gap. I have the cw9 and the standard 7 rd mag base just kinda hangs there and doesnt look integrated to the grip. That being said I feel this is a tad nitpicky IMO. Still luv Kahrs tho!!

if this flag offends you then you need a history lesson!

Default write

Quote Originally Posted by wtim View Post

kahr: attn Jay, nuttin we can do about it,other than some after market stuff that makes them look a tad better. I have ,my flush fit mags finished in black and they look super. Really was never a deal breaker wit me either..

why did they not do them in black, my 21 cents is the MK sereis might then look kinda odd with the same magazies in them being the MK series nadmost all K series are stainlessin finish. Just sayin
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

The gap is neither a design flaw, nor a product of lazy engineering.

In fact, suggesting so, reflects a certain ignorance of the design criteria of the Kahr.

A "flush" fit magazine in a combat defensive weapon must have a means to manually withdraw the magazine in the event that the magazine is not able to drop free of the frame on its own, or in the event the pistol is held against the force of gravity.

There are seveal ways to accomlish the manual withdrawal. One is a tab, like the 1911 has. Another is to have a faux flush fit - by means of extended magazine base. Some pistols use a set of finger relief cuts. Kahr chose a simple gap, which accomlishes the task without complex machining or tolerances. That also fits the Kahr way which is elegant simplicity in its design

Some Kahr's do it right - take my MK40.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by CJB View Post
    The gap is neither a design flaw, nor a product of lazy engineering.

In fact, suggesting so, reflects a certain ignorance of the design criteria of the Kahr.

A "flush" fit magazine in a combat defensive weapon must have a means to manually withdraw the magazine in the event that the magazine is not able to drop free of the frame on its own, or in the event the pistol is held against the force of gravity.

There are seveal ways to accomlish the manual withdrawal. One is a tab, like the 1911 has. Another is to have a faux flush fit - by means of extended magazine base. Some pistols use a set of finger relief cuts. Kahr chose a simple gap, which accomlishes the task without complex machining or tolerances. That also fits the Kahr way which is elegant simplicity in its design
    +1 CJB. I'm with you on this one. Another reason for the mag extending beyond the butt is to insure positive seating of the magazine in a SHTF situation when your fine motor skills are impaired. Justin Moon knew exactly what he was doing when he designed this gun.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Actually Mr. Moon didn't design that gun. I did. Right after I finished inventing the internet.

But your both right. You need that margin to ensure the mag seats.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

****.... Bawanna is really AL GORE!!!!