Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Shield vs. PM9

Quote Originally Posted by itsthelaw View Post

If the Shield people don't want to see the issues they won't. After a quick scan of the M&P site, I found chambering issues that required a barrrel replacement and tight mags. Maybe the spring isn't backwards, but there are issues with mags. Many are also talking about disappointment with regard to the trigger and how to replace parts. If you didn't find any compaints on the S&W Forum, you didn't look too hard.
    I'm not calling you out or anything but can you link us all to these threads you're talking about? Specifically the chambering issues that required barrel replacement? I can't find anything like that. I'm willing to bet that 99% of the mag issues you're reading about are from people that haven't broken the guns in yet. Even then, are you really gonna sit here and talk about mag issues on a Kahr website? I had to put both my CM9 mags in a vice to get them to drop free and sand down the mag followers just to get them to feed reliably.......

Quote Originally Posted by itsthelaw View Post

If they would compare the price of CM rather than the PM, the trigger enhancements will push the cost well into the $500 range. I purchased 2 CM9s after April 12 for $426 OTD. The Shield is NOT cheaper than the CM9.
    My Shield was $398 after shipping and FFL fees. Thats cheaper than the CM9 is typically had with 1 magazine.

Also, as an M&P owner that has an Apex trigger on his full-size. I can say that S&W has greatly improved the trigger--specifically the reset and grittiness. Stock for stock, my full-size's trigger was total crap compared to the Shield before I added Apex parts. The Shield is nice enough that I don't plan on changing anything and imo, its much easier to shoot than my CM9--which is why I already sold it. Why are you assuming the Apex kits are a must and that everyone is adding them? Even then, adding a hard sear is only $40. So for ~$440 you get a gun with an even nicer trigger and 2 mags.

cm9 at local gun show this weekend was $365. I thought that wa soutstaqnding..: Just sayin.

buy the shield, if that floats ur boat: Just sayin.

None of my mags drop in my PM9 and quite frankly I like it that way. To old to bend over and pick it up on the floor or dirt, I don't carry a spare and I certainly ain't gonna loose my life over it either. I wo';t bet but I am very sure I am as fast or almost as fast at taking my mag out of my PM9 and anyone else. Just sayin and IMO who in the fokk really cares. some ofu guys talk like that is a deal breaker even; wow bu the shileld, enjoy it, probalby a nice gun, if u wanbt 3 levers on the left side. Hell I am surprised that Smith didn't put a LRI on the top of the gun and a magazine disconnet inside while there were at it.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

8 pages of threads for the shiled IMO has now gotten 7 to many as it seems now (myself included) it is I say, u say, I say back, u say back back and so on.

I think we kinda went through this with the NANO. I see nothing that drives me to a shiled, not that it won't go bang, no one is arguing that, nor should they be with kahrs either. If u get one that doesn't go bang, kahr and smith will make it right.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    cm9 at local gun show this weekend was $365. I thought that wa soutstaqnding..: Just sayin.

buy the shield, if that floats ur boat: Just sayin.

None of my mags drop in my PM9 and quite frankly I like it that way. To old to bend over and pick it up on the floor or dirt, I don't carry a spare and I certainly ain't gonna loose my life over it either. I wo';t bet but I am very sure I am as fast or almost as fast at taking my mag out of my PM9 and anyone else. Just sayin and IMO who in the fokk really cares. some ofu guys talk like that is a deal breaker even; wow bu the shileld, enjoy it, probalby a nice gun, if u wanbt 3 levers on the left side. Hell I am surprised that Smith didn't put a LRI on the top of the gun and a magazine disconnet inside while there were at it.
    365+ tax is a great price!

I only said something about the mags because it was brought up by others in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by TeaQue View Post
    ....The Shield is nice enough that I don't plan on changing anything and imo, its much easier to shoot than my CM9--which is why I already sold it. Why are you assuming the Apex kits are a must and that everyone is adding them? Even then, adding a hard sear is only $40. So for ~$440 you get a gun with an even nicer trigger and 2 mags.
    I think "trigger feel" is a subjective thing. I also think the Shield will be a fine handgun for many, but not for me. I really disliked the trigger (and grip) on mine. To me, the Shield didn't do anything better than my CW9 (which I feel has a much better trigger and grip), so after putting 350 rounds through it, I sold it off. Fortunately demand is high enough for them right now that I lost little money on the deal
    Regards,
    Greg

Edit: Let me add here that I picked up another Shield because of a generous discount from S&W. I decided to install a sear from Apex Tactical in this one and now I really like the trigger in this gun. Some sandpaper has made the grip more tolerable as well.
    Last edited by gb6491; 10-30-2012 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 340pd View Post
    I think a lot of all this comes down to trigger preference.
    That was the deciding factor for me. I wanted a single stack Glock 9mm.

I don't have a single bad thing to say about the PM9 that I used to own and have recommend it to several people looking for small 9mm's. It's a great little gun!
    Yes, I am a gun lovin' woman!
    16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    I'm still doing my research on the S&W Shield and came across this just this morning on yes, the S&W Forum.

Shield Round Count

Long story made short, 40 posts, 9,285 rds., NO malfunctions, NO split mags, NO recoil assembly failures, NO reported mag springs in backwards...

I really like my PM9 due to its size and ease of carry but it has not been without its problems in only 1,596 rds.

I need to seek one out locally this week. And no, I won't be selling my PM9 if I buy the Shield.
    Jim

You are a man after my own heart. That is why I dumped my Kahr CM9 and Beretta Nano. A CCW must be 100% out of the box. You or loved ones could die if your firearm decides to nose dive or FTE which both the above mentioned delivered. I could expect at least one nose dive per 50 with the Kahr and one FTE in 100 for the Nano.

My first range trip with my Shield I had become so conditioned to have failures I kept thinking I had one everytime the gun was empty and the slide was locked back. What a relief to see an empty magazine and for the first time in almost one year I drove home from the range happy because I had zero failures.

I could care less the Shield is bigger. I can pocket in 36x32 Dockers and I have complete confidence the gun will go bang. That confidence is worth the extra weight and size.

Russ

I believed I was thru with this thread but, to be "fair and balanced", I came across this just this morning while still doing my research on the Shield.

Shield Out of Battery Issue

Additional Info

It would appear that a few are going back to S&W for re-evaluation.

The outcome will be interesting.

I'm not trying to stir the pot, only being honest and objective.

I am wondering if:

More rounds down range to let the gun settle in would take care of that. or
    from the video it sure looks very easy to retract the slide backwards, possable a weak recoil assembly.

I triedthis on my PM9 just now and that sucker is very very strong at that position, certainly the video showed this gun moving that slide back with total ease. I don't thinkj he could have made it look that easy with a PM. I wonder what the recoil spring poundage is on the Shield?

damn near has to be one of the above two possables. I can see where it would be a major concern. More likely a scenario that Smith never thought about n their testing.

thansk Jim C.

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

My PM9 will not do this...I tried immediately after viewing the video.