Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New CW380 Prep question

Default New CW380 Prep question

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and new to kahr with a cw380. I went to the range the other day to begin the break in process and had mixed results. It ran really well for the first 50 rounds or so but then I started having issues with a failure to feed.

I came home and reviewed the proper prep sticky and it now has me scratching my head. With regards to the following note:

#6 To check to see if you have any issues with the slide lock lever hitting the rounds in the magazine, take the slide off and insert the slide lock lever, then reinsert a loaded magazine. Check to see if the top round is hitting the slide lock lever and moving it upward. That is a NO-NO.

I checked this this and I do indeed have this issue. The question is, what is the fix? Different ammo that may have a different geometry? Or...send back to kahr because the slide lock lever has not been machined correctly?

Thanks to anyone in advance.

The slide stop issue is usually the cause of premature slide lock. A failure to feed is most likely a result of the cartridge dragging on the breech face and extractor and can be cured by polishing these areas. Most issues will resolve themselves with extensive break in but can be helped along with some light polishing. I am sure more folks will have some more info on the issue. ------------------------------- Good Luck, GeezerD

From what I have read you need to sand or file some material away from the area of contact on the mag catch,I'm sure someone who has done it will chime in.

I see what you're saying. What method do you use to polish the breech face and extractor?

Also, it seems to me that if the cartridge is contacting the slide lock enough to feel and visibly see the slide lock move up slightly as the round is being pushed past it, that this might be causing a problem. The sticky that I referred to said that this condition is a no-no…just wondering what the fix is to that scenario in particular…anyone else have any experience with this? Thanks

What part of the magazine exactly would I need to sand? The sides of the black plastic portion that sits directly below the last round in the magazine? Are we trying to create more clearance between this and the metal sides of the mag? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Justinotto View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and new to kahr with a cw380. I went to the range the other day to begin the break in process and had mixed results. It ran really well for the first 50 rounds or so but then I started having issues with a failure to feed.

I came home and reviewed the proper prep sticky and it now has me scratching my head. With regards to the following note:

#6 To check to see if you have any issues with the slide lock lever hitting the rounds in the magazine, take the slide off and insert the slide lock lever, then reinsert a loaded magazine. Check to see if the top round is hitting the slide lock lever and moving it upward. That is a NO-NO.

I checked this this and I do indeed have this issue. The question is, what is the fix? Different ammo that may have a different geometry? Or...send back to kahr because the slide lock lever has not been machined correctly?

Thanks to anyone in advance.

U have a couple of c hoices. Chanbge ammo brand to see if that correecxts it,and I would emalkahr, attn: Jay and state that the ammo ishitting the indise of the slide stop lever, and more tyhan likely they will send u a new lever, but if they say it needs to come back then let them pick it up on their dime. If rounds are hitting tyhe lever then ur gonna have issues PERIOD. If it is hiutting the inside of the lever with normal fmj ammo then IMO it needs a new slide stop lever and then if kahr says they will send u one, then u can do the doctoring to the lever u hve now by just filing that little nub down enough to provide clearance, fully knowing that if u fokk it up u have a new one coming in the mail.

Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    U have a couple of c hoices. Chanbge ammo brand to see if that correecxts it,and I would emalkahr, attn: Jay and state that the ammo ishitting the indise of the slide stop lever, and more tyhan likely they will send u a new lever, but if they say it needs to come back then let them pick it up on their dime. If rounds are hitting tyhe lever then ur gonna have issues PERIOD. If it is hiutting the inside of the lever with normal fmj ammo then IMO it needs a new slide stop lever and then if kahr says they will send u one, then u can do the doctoring to the lever u hve now by just filing that little nub down enough to provide clearance, fully knowing that if u fokk it up u have a new one coming in the mail.

Thanks Jocko...I'll send the email.

I asked Kahr for a new slide lock, and they graciously sent a new one to me. With all due respect to Kahr, though, the slide stop lock was exactly the same as the one on my new Kahr. In my opinion, the slide stop lock is designed with the tab a bit too long for many rounds out there. If the rounds didn't slide forward after the first round is fired it wouldn't be an issue, but of course, the slide tends to pull the rounds forward after the first round. Because that round is forward, and if it is fattish, like a truncated flat nose FMJ or even a hollow point, it tends to hit that slide stop lever, activating the slide stop. The exception to that rule would be the round nose FMJ, which is more pointy. As disappointing as that is, the fix is pretty easy: if you slide that magazine in, with the slide off, and notice if the top round hits the slide stop tab, then you need to sand or grind that back. Grind or sand it back until the bullet nose clears slide stop tab. You could even sand beyond that a bit, but the limit is, the tab must be long enough to hit the magazine slide stop release (part of the follower). If you look the follower/slide stop release mechanism over for a few minutes, it becomes obvious. My opinion is that this needs to be done almost routinely, if my gun is any example. This really is inexcusable, but in the end, it's not too bad, because you can do it without going to a gunsmith. It's an easy fix, and one I wouldn't hesitate doing. There is margin for error (meaning you can grind more than necessary and still have the slide stop work). Bottom line, though, is that asking Kahr for a new slide stop doesn't solve the problem IMHO. Good news, bad news, but it is fixable without sending it in.

Thank you you for this info...so did you just use like a flat hand held grinding tool? I think I'll contact kahr as well to see about a replacement slide lock just in case I goof it up.

Quote Originally Posted by erichard View Post
    I asked Kahr for a new slide lock, and they graciously sent a new one to me. With all due respect to Kahr, though, the slide stop lock was exactly the same as the one on my new Kahr. In my opinion, the slide stop lock is designed with the tab a bit too long for many rounds out there. If the rounds didn't slide forward after the first round is fired it wouldn't be an issue, but of course, the slide tends to pull the rounds forward after the first round. Because that round is forward, and if it is fattish, like a truncated flat nose FMJ or even a hollow point, it tends to hit that slide stop lever, activating the slide stop. The exception to that rule would be the round nose FMJ, which is more pointy. As disappointing as that is, the fix is pretty easy: if you slide that magazine in, with the slide off, and notice if the top round hits the slide stop tab, then you need to sand or grind that back. Grind or sand it back until the bullet nose clears slide stop tab. You could even sand beyond that a bit, but the limit is, the tab must be long enough to hit the magazine slide stop release (part of the follower). If you look the follower/slide stop release mechanism over for a few minutes, it becomes obvious. My opinion is that this needs to be done almost routinely, if my gun is any example. This really is inexcusable, but in the end, it's not too bad, because you can do it without going to a gunsmith. It's an easy fix, and one I wouldn't hesitate doing. There is margin for error (meaning you can grind more than necessary and still have the slide stop work). Bottom line, though, is that asking Kahr for a new slide stop doesn't solve the problem IMHO. Good news, bad news, but it is fixable without sending it in.

I have a follow-up question. Wouldn't this issue also be the potential cause for a failure to feed? It seems like the round hitting this slide stop on the way up would interfere with the smooth feeding operation as well.