Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger SR1911 now shipping!

Default Ruger SR1911 now shipping!

Just got this in an email from DRTV:
    "It is finally here and it is now official. Rumors has been roaming around for years that Ruger is making a 1911. These rumors started way even before Ruger considered making one. Back in November 2009, the first discussions started among the engineers and through extensive work and planning including 1000s of interviews through the “Voice of the Customer Program” the specification was put on paper and the project set in motion. Ruger is now shipping the SR1911 from their factory in Prescott, Arizona."
    http://www.downrange.tv/blog/the-rug...11-video/9290/

Some more info:
    http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SR1911.htm

Regards,
    Greg

Some clarifications:

1. The slide is NOT forged. It is machined from solid. Forging involves the heating and beating of metal - done with a drop hammer and forging dies on a production basis. That is not the case with Ruger's SR-1911.

2. The barrel and bushing remain together - is said in one place, but clearly a bin of bushings and a bin of barrels, all by themselves for assembly.

3. I could not see - anyplace - READ INSTRUCTION MANUAL - AVAILABLE FREE FROM - Sturm Ruger and Co, Inc. Prescott Az. Hooray and Bravo to the ghost of Bill for that!

4. Ruger has not only made 1911 frames, but grip safeties, thumb safeties, cast disconnectors from beryllium-copper, magazine releases, and bushings for the 1911 trade since, oh... early 90's at least. This is what they refer to as "ghost casting" among those in the manufacturing circles. Ruger is, and has been, one of the top casting houses in North America for a long long time.

5. No great revelation, but... I want one! I can remember today, like it was yesterday, my friend (and boss at the time) Ed, saying "if anything Ruger's quality has increased over the years". It was 1983ish. We were lamenting the crap quality of the Colt 1911's and how you were lucky to get one that worked without tweakage. He owned a range, sold guns, reloaded commercially, and I worked for him then. This was before the P85 came out. We all hoped, even then, Ruger would make a 1911. I'm sure Ed will have one shortly. He said "you can bet if Ruger made one, it would be made right, and pretty much be a 'forever gun'". His term 'forever' always meant something of such high manufacturing integrity, it would almost literally last forever. I gotta go look him up... make sure he's doin ok.

I take it back - it does say "****.... " in Ruger speak, under the recoil spring area. Bummer. Looks laser blackened.... maybe it will bead blast off... hope so.

Arrr Teee Efff Emmm is a no no word here? Read the Friendly Manual? Hmmm.

sHHHISH. We've had ATF agents around all week. Funny they look alot like humans. Ones even a pretty cute lady. Android no doubt.

Hauled off 3 or 4 of out more notorious bad guys on federally charges.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Any idea what this is going to sell for and if these are close to MILSPEC for most everything but the plunger tube?
    Attitude: it takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile...and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

The olive branch is considered a symbol of peace, and good will. Last time I checked, it's still a switch.

I will stick with my trusty Kahr/MRI 1911 thank you.

Chief Administrator
    Kahrtalk.com

That's the one brand I have the most of in my house. I re-read the gunblast, and think I may wait until they get cheaper. I'd carry it.
    Attitude: it takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile...and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

The olive branch is considered a symbol of peace, and good will. Last time I checked, it's still a switch.

Quote Originally Posted by johnh View Post
    I will stick with my trusty Kahr/MRI 1911 thank you.

Darn, thats sweet.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I will be going with the Ruger SR1911