PDA

View Full Version : PM9 Slide Cutting into MTAC Kydex on Draw (PICs)

TxKahr
01-22-2010, 08:02 AM
I have noticed black Kydex scrapings on the slide and barrel of my PM9 in the sharp area seen in the pictures below. I field stripped the gun and sure enough their was plastic shavings inside the slide where the barrel touches the top of the slide. Has anyone else seen this with their Kahrs and other Kydex holsters? Should I be concerned with the plastic inside the slide? Does the sharp edge of the Kahr slides tear up the inside of leather holsters?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

The pictures below were taken after drawing the gun a single time from the MTAC while positioned at 3:30-4:00. Sometimes the pieces are bigger and sometimes they are very small.

http://kahrtalk.com/members/txkahr-albums-pm9-picture148-kydex-shavings.jpg

http://kahrtalk.com/members/txkahr-albums-pm9-picture149-kydex-shavings-2.jpg

Vinikahr
01-22-2010, 08:09 AM
Honestly, do not like Kydex holsters, they scratch the plastic of the firearm. I prefer leather or fabric holster, they are more gentle to your firearm.:laser:

fitzgood
01-22-2010, 08:29 AM
Its hard to believe there is anything sharp enough on a Kahrs slide to cut kydex that much. Is it possible that could be a residual drill cutting from the manufacturing process? I have an MTAC on the way right now so I will check mine out when it arrives.

PETE14
01-22-2010, 08:32 AM
I have a Kydex but it is leather lined so no I don't have this problem.

mx5fan
01-22-2010, 08:53 AM
I have a Kydex but it is leather lined so no I don't have this problem.

Got to love the Tucker Silent Thunder!

TxKahr
01-22-2010, 09:13 AM
Its hard to believe there is anything sharp enough on a Kahrs slide to cut kydex that much. Is it possible that could be a residual drill cutting from the manufacturing process? I have an MTAC on the way right now so I will check mine out when it arrives.

The edges of the Kahr slide are very pointed. They are not sharp enough to cut your hand, but they are much sharper than the edges of my Glock slide. I do not have the same problem with the Kydex on the CB ST for my Glock because it is much smoother to the touch. I hope the newness of the MTAC holster is part of the issue and the problem will subside over time.

Others have commented on how hard it is to repeatedly rack the slide of the Kahr when peforming snap cap dry firing exercises. Run your hands along the grooves at the rear of your Kahr slide and compare them to the edges of other slides. I thought the complaints were unfounded, but I have experienced discomfort when dry firing my Kahr with snap caps, as well.

For those who have leather holsters, does the Kahr slide gouge into them?

Thanks,

TxKahr

Ol'coot
01-22-2010, 10:18 AM
I normally carry my PM9 in a Crossbreed mini-tuck and I have never experienced the cutting or scrapping action seen in your photo. My PM9's ejection port comes to an edge but it is not sharp to the touch and there is no scrapping marks on the inside of the kydex portion of the holster that I can see. I personally prefer the Kydex for the ease of rehosltering when worn in the 3:30 to 4 O'clock position and the outstanding retention of the gun keeping in the holster unless I take it out. This especially important when dropping your pants in the bathroom. I would suggest taking a hard Arkansas stone and using it to slightly break the sharp edge to match the existing chamfer that can be seen along the bottom of the ejection port in your photo. If your not comfortable doing this any gunsmith can do it in just a couple of minutes for you.

ripley16
01-22-2010, 10:53 AM
Does the sharp edge of the Kahr slides tear up the inside of leather holsters?

Yes. I quit worrying about it though.

polkhigh
01-22-2010, 11:00 AM
I have noticed black Kydex scrapings on the slide and barrel of my PM9 in the sharp area seen in the pictures below. I field stripped the gun and sure enough their was plastic shavings inside the slide where the barrel touches the top of the slide. Has anyone else seen this with their Kahrs and other Kydex holsters? Should I be concerned with the plastic inside the slide? Does the sharp edge of the Kahr slides tear up the inside of leather holsters?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

The pictures below were taken after drawing the gun a single time from the MTAC while positioned at 3:30-4:00. Sometimes the pieces are bigger and sometimes they are very small.

http://kahrtalk.com/members/txkahr-albums-pm9-picture148-kydex-shavings.jpg

http://kahrtalk.com/members/txkahr-albums-pm9-picture149-kydex-shavings-2.jpg

Man, not to hijack the thread..but how is it that your barrel still looks like new? I've shot 400+ rounds through my PM9 and my barrel has a ton of scratches from shooting.

wyntrout
01-22-2010, 11:18 AM
For those who find it hard to rack the slide for dry firing -- you don't have to pull the slide back but about half an inch, unless you just need the exercise, to reset the striker. I found this out and stopped stuffing more than one snapcap into the magazine. Half an inch is easy to do repeatedly. Pulling the slide back to cycle snapcaps is unneeded work!
Wynn:D

fitzgood
01-22-2010, 12:17 PM

I just took a closer look at my slide...man that it sharp right there. I hope the MTAC I have on the way will be ok.

Vinikahr
01-22-2010, 01:32 PM
I just took a closer look at my slide...man that it sharp right there. I hope the MTAC I have on the way will be ok.
I was doing the same thing too, it is very sharp :eek:, I checked my leather holster but I do not see any signs of peeling in that area or any material coming off from the holster after re-holstering a couple of times my PM9. :86:

TxKahr
01-22-2010, 04:02 PM
Man, not to hijack the thread..but how is it that your barrel still looks like new? I've shot 400+ rounds through my PM9 and my barrel has a ton of scratches from shooting.

I have 250 rds through mine with little or no scratching on the barrel. I hope to put another 150 through it this weekend, so I will see if that changes.

TxKahr

TxKahr
01-22-2010, 04:10 PM
For those who find it hard to rack the slide for dry firing -- you don't have to pull the slide back but about half an inch, unless you just need the exercise, to reset the striker. I found this out and stopped stuffing more than one snapcap into the magazine. Half an inch is easy to do repeatedly. Pulling the slide back to cycle snapcaps is unneeded work!
Wynn:D

I realized the same thing with my G26, so I was aware of the shorter pull to reset the trigger. I can do it with my Glock for much longer without discomfort to the index finger. For the same amount of time, the Kahr slide is much harder to repeatedly rack without rubbing the skin raw. Since it is not something you would normally do to a gun unless you are dry firing, I really do not consider it a problem with the PM9. However, I thought it was worth mentioning in the context of the sharper edges.

TxKahr

Arizona T
01-22-2010, 08:47 PM
If your super concerned about the edges on your nuggs slide then there's several great companys that offer Dehorning and custom work.

Check out Robar in sunny AZ I heard they do good work, heck it's only $.

wyntrout
01-22-2010, 09:40 PM
Dang!! I just checked my PM9 and that IS a sharp edge! There's a tiny shiny bare area there in my DLC finish. I might have to take a fine whetstone to that sucker since I can already see that bit of finish gone. It probably isn't helped by ejected cases smacking it, either. I'll wait until I get my Minituck and see if there's any scraping.
Wynn:(

DakPara
01-23-2010, 03:38 PM
My P9 does exactly the same shaving routine on my Galco MX7 Matrix holster when new, but it stops when enough of the inside of the holster is scraped away (pretty quickly). It makes no difference in function, so I really don't care.

I have the stainless slide model.

Russell97ta
01-23-2010, 09:09 PM

If that bothers you, you can remove the kydex and cover the inside of the kydex with some thin synthetic leather or fabric/suede/velvet using some headliner glue (spray).

TxKahr
01-25-2010, 06:54 PM
My P9 does exactly the same shaving routine on my Galco MX7 Matrix holster when new, but it stops when enough of the inside of the holster is scraped away (pretty quickly). It makes no difference in function, so I really don't care.

I have the stainless slide model.

Thank you for the confirmation. I looked at the inside of my Kydex and it is wearing pretty quickly, as well. I found that if I draw the gun with more of a backward pull, it comes out smoothly without any shavings. I am not sure if I will be able to do that all the time, but at least it is good to hear that it should eventually subside.

TxKahr

TxKahr
01-25-2010, 06:58 PM

I put another 160 rounds (total of 410) through mine this weekend and the barrel still looks the same. Maybe yours had a tighter fit from the factory. Also, I have been using CLP to lube my gun, but I have not been putting anything on that area of the barrel.

TxKahr

weargle
01-25-2010, 08:50 PM
I can't be the only one to think that it's odd that you're willing to spend the fifty plus dollars to pour 200 rounds through the pipe to break the gun in, but spending the time to break a molded plastic holster in means that there's a problem.

:D

TxKahr
01-26-2010, 07:19 PM
I can't be the only one to think that it's odd that you're willing to spend the fifty plus dollars to pour 200 rounds through the pipe to break the gun in, but spending the time to break a molded plastic holster in means that there's a problem.

:D

Do you like to provoke people on your first post in an otherwise friendly forum? (A smiley at the end of the post does not excuse the intent) And when did I say it was a problem with the gun?

To answer your question, I pour money into putting rounds through my gun because the manufacturer recommends a 200 rd beak-in period. (Please read the manual) I had one FTE at 90 rounds, so I felt it was necessasry to put at least double that amount through the gun before I would trust it with my life. Lets see, $100 worth or ammo or my life, which is possibly worth more to me???

I started this thread to see if others had experienced the same problem with their Kydex holsters and their PM9s. One person admitted they had a similar problem, so I was successful in confirming the issue. Another admitted an issue with a leather holster and others discovered the same sharpness on the edges of their Kahr slides.

I think this is why the forum was created, to exchange information on our Kahr pistols and to discuss potential issues with the wide array of accessories available for them. I am sorry you do not see it that way. Please feel free to troll other threads and continue to provide your valuable feed back.

TxKahr

weargle
01-27-2010, 01:38 PM
No reason to get your hackles up, the internet really isn't that serious of a place.