View Full Version : Range trip with replacement Sig P238

TriggerMan
01-10-2012, 08:54 PM
I'm on my third Sig P238 .380 Auto. Gun #1 and Gun #2 have been replaced by Sig. From the morning they received #2, until I got back what is #3, it was only 8 calendar days. I was also offered another model if I preferred (a P290 w/laser). I also got an extra extended mag for free.

Gun #1 had a micro fracture in the frame near the trigger pivot. A complete surprise to me when I sent it in for some extractor tuning. I had 300 standard pressure rounds through it.

Gun #2 had a sticky mag release and was throwing the same grip screw after half a mag. When they determined the threads in the frame (no bushings are used) were stripped, they scrapped the gun.

When I got #3 last week, I locked it open for 24 hours and put a drop of oil on the loading ramp. It looked properly lubed and had no signs of shipping grease. I shot 50 rounds of PMC Bronze 90 gr FMJ. I recorded 25 perfect shots followed by 22/25. I think on at least one, I pressed the mag release by accident. Clearing with a tap, rack, (assess) bang sequence is very easy on this gun. The recoil spring, even when new, is very, very manageable.

After a real complete cleaning, I shot it again today using Rem Green/white box FMJ, all 45 were perfect. I followed those rounds with 5 Gold Dots and 50 PMC, ALL perfect. I did catch myself causing a problem by pressing the mag release once. The rest of my hour was spent with my Nano and my HK P7. Only 20 perfect FMJ rounds today in the Nano and 35-40 perfect in the HK (of course). The Nano still must go back. No hurry. The trigger has really improved from my shooting. Accuracy for me is superior to the PM9. That is not to say there is more accuracy built in, it's MY ability or lack thereof with a long DA trigger

Sig scored some points with me in their speed, their offer of a 9mm replacement, and the free mag. These 380s are a dream. Soft recoil, accurate and an easy pocket carry. To hell and back reliability as far as the shooting goes.

LaP
01-10-2012, 09:01 PM
They have a pretty good reputation. I'm surprised you got two lemons... but, maybe the thrid time's the charm.
I've always wanted a Sig .380. Just never went out & made the purchase.:o

TriggerMan
01-10-2012, 11:27 PM
They have a pretty good reputation. I'm surprised you got two lemons... but, maybe the thrid time's the charm.
I've always wanted a Sig .380. Just never went out & made the purchase.:o
All three have shot well and it's possible I stripped the threads. They warned me to be careful or they would need to replace it again! Gotta love that attitude. If they'll offer me the new, yet to be released P938, I'll gladly strip another screw. :p

kerby9mm
01-11-2012, 04:40 PM
Triggerman I have 2 p238s, one with the silver and black aluminum grips that all the grip screws shot loose, blue loctite fixed that. The other is a recent production Equinox and they have never shot loose. I was thinking maybe there is some compression with the wood that keeps them tight whereas the aluminum is solid which won't compress. I noticed on my newer one that you can't push the ejector too far down like my older one. Is you gun. Like my newer one ejectorwise?

ltxi
01-11-2012, 05:31 PM
P938?

Edit....Ok, never mind.

As fond as I am of single actions, if this turns out out to hold to the promise my PM9 should be cringing.

TriggerMan
01-12-2012, 08:07 AM
Triggerman I have 2 p238s, one with the silver and black aluminum grips that all the grip screws shot loose, blue loctite fixed that. The other is a recent production Equinox and they have never shot loose. I was thinking maybe there is some compression with the wood that keeps them tight whereas the aluminum is solid which won't compress. I noticed on my newer one that you can't push the ejector too far down like my older one. Is you gun. Like my newer one ejectorwise?My first two P238s were Nitron Rosewood models with lasers. The one in my pocket now is the SAS. It has wood grips. Just FYI, I tried blue Lock-tite and also clear nail polish.

The extractor in my latest gun seems a less tight fit in its cylinder?. It slides around when I clean the firing pin cylinder. The others didn't. Tension is a tad lighter. Shoots and ejects great....so far.

kerby9mm
01-12-2012, 11:21 AM
Triggerman. I was spreaking of the ejector. On my mid 2010 p238 you can push the ejector too far down and accidentally disable the gun if you aren't paying attention. On my new one you can't push it down too far. I felt that they redesigned it ,just wanted to know if yours is like my newer one

TriggerMan
01-12-2012, 02:35 PM
Triggerman. I was spreaking of the ejector. On my mid 2010 p238 you can push the ejector too far down and accidentally disable the gun if you aren't paying attention. On my new one you can't push it down too far. I felt that they redesigned it ,just wanted to know if yours is like my newer oneNot crazy enough to test it. I push it just far enough to clear the slide when I reassemble. If it was made idiot proof, good for those guys. I'd be surprised. The original COLT had the same potential issue.

TriggerMan
01-13-2012, 05:17 PM
Shot 50 rnds of Remmington green & white boxed FMJ followed by a 20 rnd box of Gold Dots. 70 perfect rounds for a total of 227 rounds of perfection.

TriggerMan
01-31-2012, 09:18 PM
Been shooting the Sig at each range trip. Flawless on S&B FMJ, RWS FMJ and Speer Gold Dots. She's good to carry, and I have. A real joy to shoot. Makes me feel like a pro.