View Full Version : Guess I'm an official Glock fanboy now....

les strat
01-14-2012, 05:29 PM
First off, I have been wanting a .45, but ended up finding a S&W 686 no-dash at a steal a couple weeks ago that rode home instead.

Today, I stopped by a local pawn/jewelry/gun shop that had a G30 at an ok price. I brought in a Ruger P89 to trade, but wasn't in any rush to move it as they usually don't bring much on trade - usually $150 or so. The owner said he'd go $275 on it! :eek:. I think that's what I paid for it new in the 90's.

The G30 is gen 3 from 2008 and looks to have been shot very little. As the sales guy was negotiating with the owner, I noticed it had mepro night sights,which made the deal even sweeter. They didn't even realize it, so I kept my mouth shut. Additional 13 round mag and box as well.

Needless to say, I have a new HD gun which might get carried a little as well.

I've gotta stay out of gun shops!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v385/KevinJenne/IMG_6724.jpg

BEARDOG
01-14-2012, 06:36 PM
Congrats Les! That sounds like you made a really great deal! I have a Glock 26 which I love, and would like to add a G19 and G30 as well. I think they are great guns... Enjoy!

Bawanna
01-14-2012, 07:00 PM
It looks absolutely pristine. Sure ain't been used much for sure.

les strat
01-14-2012, 07:11 PM
Thanks guys. I was going to add night sights anyway, so I am tickled about how it all worked out.

Silly question: I have read about Glock kabooms. What ammo should I stay away from (reloads?), and any advice about Glocks I need to be privy to?

A good IWB or OWB holster recommendation would also be appreciated. I want that trigger secured. I think I am going to carry it OWB some with a shirt over it. Honestly, I can't stand IWB and that digging my ribs.

LMT42
01-14-2012, 07:42 PM
Let us know how it shoots. I'm not recoil sensitive, but it sure looks like a small, light gun for .45 loads.

Bawanna
01-14-2012, 07:46 PM
I really like the Blackhawk Serpa for Glocks and others when I want positive retention. Requires your trigger finger to release the gun and automatically indexes your finger as you draw.

Good coverage, not much weight and they don't seem to wear on the gun like some tupperware holsters.

Pretty inexpensive too.

BEARDOG
01-14-2012, 07:52 PM
I wouldn't worry about kabooms with a .45 that is usually more a .40 S&W issue as it is a higher pressure load.

Any quality new ammo should be fine...I only shoot MY reloads so I would say to you... until YOU start making your own reloads steer clear of anyone else's reloads... that's not a Glock thing that's just my thing.

As far as holsters, I make my own gun leather now, but... I bought a Glock sport and combat holster for my G26 before I started making them, and it is a great little holster for OWB carry, holds the gun high and tight, and they are only like $13! I would definitely recommend you pick one up for it.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/260974/glock-sport-and-combat-holster-ambidextrous-hand-20-21-29-30-36-s-and-w-m-and-p-polymer-black

LMT42
01-14-2012, 07:54 PM
I really like the Blackhawk Serpa for Glocks and others when I want positive retention. Requires your trigger finger to release the gun and automatically indexes your finger as you draw.

BH Serpa may lead to "glock leg" - beware!

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/01/foghorn/serpa-holsters-banned-from-fletc/

Bawanna
01-14-2012, 08:06 PM
Wow never heard of that. We use the ALS Safariland for duty holsters mostly with a few blackhawk double retentions as well. Can't imagine the described scenario myself.

BEARDOG
01-14-2012, 08:13 PM

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/01/foghorn/serpa-holsters-banned-from-fletc/[/URL]

I agree. IMO I wouldn't use a Serpa... YMMV
A very good video on some of their design flaws here.
[url]http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/defensive-carry-holsters-carry-options/126046-tex-grebner-serpa-bullets-leg.html (http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/01/foghorn/serpa-holsters-banned-from-fletc/)

les strat
01-14-2012, 09:53 PM
Let us know how it shoots. I'm not recoil sensitive, but it sure looks like a small, light gun for .45 loads.

They actually aren't that bad. The sub-compact 9's and 40's are way worse IMO. The 13 round mag and extension adaptor really help at the range for extended shooting with the compact .45s.

Good coverage, not much weight and they don't seem to wear on the gun like some tupperware holsters.

Pretty inexpensive too.

Thanks Bawanna. Although I am looking leather, possibly a slide holster or something with kydex. Just wanting that trigger well protected.

I wouldn't worry about kabooms with a .45 that is usually more a .40 S&W issue as it is a higher pressure load.

Any quality new ammo should be fine...I only shoot MY reloads so I would say to you... until YOU start making your own reloads steer clear of anyone else's reloads... that's not a Glock thing that's just my thing.

As far as holsters, I make my own gun leather now, but... I bought a Glock sport and combat holster for my G26 before I started making them, and it is a great little holster for OWB carry, holds the gun high and tight, and they are only like $13! I would defiantly recommend you pick one up for it.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/260974/glock-sport-and-combat-holster-ambidextrous-hand-20-21-29-30-36-s-and-w-m-and-p-polymer-black

Beardog, your ammo info is always appreciated! I guess WWB will work from range purposes. I use it for most of my handguns.m Still haven't bought any reloading equipment... will soon after I get my safe bought.

I just need to pay you to make me a good holster!

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/01/foghorn/serpa-holsters-banned-from-fletc/

OK, staying away from the Serpa :eek:

ribs? It Takes some time and money to find the perfect holster for you. I carry at around 2:30-3:00. IWB because I found a perfect holster for me and at that spot. It's very thin so easy to conceal but little padding to soften things. Those $30 fabric padded tactical holsters with the extra mag holder on top can work great. Most are copies of the original but if you cut the extra mag material off it helps. I like them a lot because you can use the clip to clip the holster to the inside of your pants and there is a place to run your belt through that keeps the holster real close to your pants and can angle it slightly to avoid any discomfort or rubbing. I also after many of times had my little guns fall out of their holster bending down or whatever that would make the strap it comes with a must. I am a big fan of a strap but one that can open with a quick flick of your thumb. I have learned that the expensive holsters are not always the most practical or comfortable. If things ever get a little heavy I just remind myself I have 15 critical defense rounds compared to the 6 most of you are carrying. The gen4 was a big breakthrough for ne because I have small hands ang the Glock grip use to be too wide dor me. I really like the gen4 but there are so many guns out right now that I would like to own. A Kimber and an HK P7m8 (i think) are two i'm saving my change for,

Yeah, all IWB holsters I have had constantly goose my ribs, even with a slide guard. I don't have much meat on my ribs lol, so it always seems to dig in me when I am sitting. If the IWB holster is adjustable, I set them low, and they do not reholster well as the opening is below my wasteline. I think a nice, tight fitting OWB would work with a jacket or large untucked shirt. Otherwise and most of the time, I got the CM9 in pocket.... or IWB if need be.

The grip on the gen 3 G30 is not bad to me at all. Didn't notice much difference between it and the 21sf. My hands are not small but not NBA sized either.

Bawanna
01-14-2012, 10:34 PM
Well I watched the video and I've never come close to creating the scenario depicted. I have three and there are many at the dept. While I won't throw them away (I don't use them often, prefer leather) I will not endorse them from this day forward.

I always end up with my finger indexed on the slide no matter how fast I try to draw. I shall give this more consideration.

Barth
01-15-2012, 03:23 AM
I only get that crazed over girls...
But I do love my Glock.
https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/photos/photo28/4c/20/307ce5b34772__1317332277000.jpghttp://www.thereelbits.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/underworld-awakening-poster002-285x280.jpg

Mr. S
01-15-2012, 03:31 AM
congrats. I already purchased seven holsters for ccw and today I got an amazing holster, non-leather iwb or on the belt. Two options and it was designed to intensionally keep moisture out. Thin, yet nice padding to give the Kidney and hip some relief. I feel much more secure with 15 rounds and on mine a gen4 is considerably thinner yet with great design still hasn't effected the round capacity. Congrats and enjoy....properly with the right holster.

The Gen 4 models aren't thinner than the Gen 3s. The distance front to back of the grip is shorter with no backstrap installed.This improves the trigger reach which is a big help for some people.

melissa5
01-15-2012, 06:37 AM
Congrats, Les! The G30 is a great gun...very accurate. Also, the Glock sport holster is a great choice until you can find the perfect leather holster.

Bawanna, be careful with those Serpas. :eek:

les strat
01-15-2012, 10:50 AM
Having trouble loading the last round in the 10 and the 13 round mags, even with the loader. I have read that this is a thing with the 30 mags, and that many carry them with 9 or 12 since it is so tight. Maybe it will loosen up.

After church today, I got some Hornady TAP 230gr and some PMC for range use. Academy didn't have the 100 count WWB that I usually use. This store doesn't sell any Glock .45s or muach of any accessories for them as well. Wonder why?

melissa5
01-15-2012, 02:19 PM
Having trouble loading the last round in the 10 and the 13 round mags, even with the loader. I have read that this is a thing with the 30 mags, and that many carry them with 9 or 12 since it is so tight. Maybe it will loosen up.

That is typically of G30 mags. I just load 9/12 in the mag and 1 in the chamber. Even if you do manage to get 10 in the mag, it's hard to seat the mag in the gun.

Barth
01-15-2012, 02:26 PM

Don't worry about that.
They will loosen up with use.
Get a UpLula Magazine Speedloader.

les strat
01-15-2012, 04:38 PM
That is typically of G30 mags. I just load 9/12 in the mag and 1 in the chamber. Even if you do manage to get 10 in the mag, it's hard to seat the mag in the gun.

Don't worry about that.
They will loosen up with use.
Get a UpLula Magazine Speedloader.

Thanks!

The holster hunt begins....