PDA

View Full Version : Factory ammo your PM9 doesn’t like?

kahr360
01-27-2010, 12:55 AM
I’ve decided on the PM9 for my CCW,
and now I want to know what ammo to carry.

I’m of the opinion that just about any JHP ammo is good enough, so long as it’s reliable in a gun.

So with that in mind,
I was wondering what ammunition (if any) have your PM9s had trouble with as far as reliability.

Thanks. :)

Vinikahr
01-27-2010, 05:17 AM
It would be best to reverse the question to: which one the PM9 likes?

I tested mine with Winchester Silver Tip and Remington Golden Saber and it function well. I had not tested any other ammo yet. But a hint when buying SD ammo is to buy those that have narrower crown. Which seems to cycle better.:eek: :86:

Dietrich
01-27-2010, 05:35 AM
I have yet to find a brand of ammo that causes a problem in my PM9. For target I`ve used Winchester,Remington,Monarch,Georgia Arms,Federal,American Eagle and my reloads with no problem at all.The same goes for self defense rounds,Remington Golden Saber,Winchester Ranger T series,Speer Gold Dot,Corbon DPX,Hornady Critical Defense,Federal Hydroshok and the list goes on and on. Bullet weights varied from 115 grain to 147 grain with the same results.Flawless function.My advice is to find test results for self defense ammo,pick one of the best performers that you have easy access to,make sure it works well in your handgun and then you can carry with the confidence you need.PM9s rock!:)

fitzgood
01-27-2010, 07:54 AM
I have yet to find a brand of ammo that causes a problem in my PM9. For target I`ve used Winchester,Remington,Monarch,Georgia Arms,Federal,American Eagle and my reloads with no problem at all.The same goes for self defense rounds,Remington Golden Saber,Winchester Ranger T series,Speer Gold Dot,Corbon DPX,Hornady Critical Defense,Federal Hydroshok and the list goes on and on. Bullet weights varied from 115 grain to 147 grain with the same results.Flawless function.My advice is to find test results for self defense ammo,pick one of the best performers that you have easy access to,make sure it works well in your handgun and then you can carry with the confidence you need.PM9s rock!:)

+1

I haven't had any problems with anything I have feed the PM9 even during break in. I have gone through more Gold Dots than anything else. Zero issues.

Bowhunter2001
01-27-2010, 08:16 AM
My PM9 doesn't like Golden Sabre 124 gr. +p. Hopefully, it will come back (at Kahr for the last 12 days for it's 2nd time) from Kahr this time and like it!

wyntrout
01-27-2010, 11:22 AM
Don't invest too much in HPs with exposed or leading edges with lead. That seems to cause failures to feed as it hits the feed ramp... sometimes. The Speer Gold Dots claim to prevent that by the metal jacket flowing over the leading edge of the hollow point -- sounds good and they have a "short barrel" +P version that really sounds good. Check your feed ramp, too. Maybe a "dremel-type" polishing will help. Make sure your carry ammo functions well in your pistol, 'cause your life may depend on it. Preaching to the choir!:blah:
Wynn:o

10Kahrs
01-27-2010, 01:49 PM
Speer gold dot 124gr +p

Vinikahr
01-27-2010, 02:00 PM
My PM9 doesn't like Golden Sabre 124 gr. +p. Hopefully, it will come back (at Kahr for the last 12 days for it's 2nd time) from Kahr this time and like it!

Did you try the 115 gr?:86:

jeepster09
01-27-2010, 04:03 PM
Today I ran 50 rounds of Federal Premium Law Enforcement Tactical HST 124 grain threw my new Black PM9 with no failures at all. I did have issue each time I put in a new magazine in, the first round would want to jam and not load; once in no problems at all. Is this a break in issue?
I was also impressed with very minimal recoil with this ammo.
:33:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDetail.aspx?sku=AMM408

http://le.atk.com/general/federalproducts/pistol/tacticalhst.aspx

roustabout
01-27-2010, 04:39 PM
I've had good results with Speer Gold Dot 124 gr+p and Hornady Critical Defense 115 gr. The Hornady ammo is a standard pressure load, and it shot a lot softer than did the Speer. I found that I was more accurate with the Hornady rounds.

ltxi
01-27-2010, 04:40 PM
Today I ran 50 rounds of Federal Premium Law Enforcement Tactical HST 124 grain threw my new Black PM9 with no failures at all. I did have issue each time I put in a new magazine in, the first round would want to jam and not load; once in no problems at all. Is this a break in issue?
I was also impressed with very minimal recoil with this ammo.
:33:

AMM-408 - Ammo 9mm Federal, JHP, 124 Grain +P+, 50 Round Box Law Enforcement Sales Only, Hydra Shok, (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDetail.aspx?sku=AMM408)

Shouldn't happen if you're releasing from slide lock.

jeepster09
01-27-2010, 05:14 PM
I agree....but it did.

ltxi
01-27-2010, 06:11 PM
Polish the feed ramp and barrel hood....make sure the first round is firmly seated in the mag.

If that doesn't work, change ammunition. I like HST, but I've had some issues with it in my .40 Glocks, fwiw.

wyntrout
01-27-2010, 06:29 PM
I had an instance or two with failures to feed from slide locked back, as well. I have the following defense ammo and I measured the overall lengths with a Midway caliper gauge with ~1/1000" accuracy. Notice the big difference in case lengths:

CorBon +P 125gr JHP Vel. 1250 fps 434 ft/lbs (On box) SD09125/20
OAL: 1.040" one sample 1 each failure to feed in K9 and PM9

Federal 135gr Hydra-Shok JHP 1050 fps(MZ) 330 ft/lbs (On box) PD9HS5 H
OAL: 1.097" one sample Several(about 3) failures to feed with 7-round K9 mag and PM9 7-Round mags. 6-shot mag okay.(I ordered and received 2 more 6-round mags.)

Remington Golden Saber 124gr Brass Jacketed HP 1125 fps 349 ft/lbs Factory Spec's. GS9MMB
OAL: 1.133" one sample I don't recall any failures with this ammo with only one box of 25 fired between the PM9 and the K9.
This sucker is so long, I wouldn't be surprised if there's problems with its filling the entire magazine length. It does look tight.

My experiences only with small samples:

mitchell4198
01-27-2010, 06:52 PM
I've had one FTE with Monarch Brass Cased 115 grain FMJ. No other failures of any kind with 410 rounds of mixed ammo thru my PM9.

kahr360
01-27-2010, 07:53 PM
I’m not seeing any one kind of ammo turning up, so that’s good. Looks like I can feed it about anything I can find. :D

And that's good becouse I haven’t been able to find anything but FMJ and lead locally yet, I’m hoping JHPs of some kind will turn up.

wyntrout
01-27-2010, 08:36 PM
You can find some deals online, unless you live in California or few other places. You have the whole country and a lot of choice. Let you fingers do the walking and watch for sales. Cabela's recently had ammo on sale -- all kinds and a $20 off a $100 or more purchase, once daily for a month or so. I used it four times for purchases of ammo just over $100 and the shipping was $14.95 each time. That can get you 4 or 5 boxes of defense JHP-type ammo or up to 500 rounds (10 boxes of 50) FMJ target ammo.
A real good place to look for places to look is Ammo Engine: AmmoEngine: 9mm / 9x19mm Parabellum (Luger), Instock For Sale Premium & Discount Ammunition, Ammo Deals (http://www.ammoengine.com/find/ammo/9mm)
You can look for particular types of ammo by caliber, weight, etc.
Don't limit yourself to local stores. We have an Ammo section on this forum and a search engine and there's always the Great Oracle -- Google. I hope this helps.
Wynn:)

Ol'coot
01-28-2010, 07:48 AM

My experience is on par with Dietrick's statement as I have ran everything I can get my hands on through my PM9 and not one issue.

wyntrout
01-28-2010, 10:17 AM
Well, I just bit the bullet and ordered 200 rounds of Double Tap:9mm+P 124gr Bonded Defense JHP through AmmoEngine: $36.95 per box of 50.

These loads are low flash. They are a middleweight load that combines good penetration with near perfect expansion. A great CCW loading.

Caliber : 9mm+P

Bullet : Bonded Defense JHP

Ballistics : 124gr @ 1310fps / 473ft. lbs. from a G17.
124 @ 1295fps / 462 ft. lbs. from a G19 (4" barrel)

Some say this is the Gold Dot bullet and I couldn't find those Speer Gold Dots. These were certainly cheaper at about 81 cents a round delivered or ~ $40.51 a box of 50 delivered (4 ordered). Shipping was $14.23 for UPS Ground ~10.87 lbs.

I hope this tests well and becomes my carry load... looks promising.
Wynn:D

ltxi
01-28-2010, 05:31 PM
Mine's not particularly fond of MagTech 115 fmj although it will 99.5+% digest it. I've found some cartridge length variation issues. Either initial mfg or loose case mouth that allows bullet movement during recoil....haven't checked close enough to determine which....just don't use it anymore.

Lalmeida617
02-06-2010, 08:11 AM
Mine likes everything except CCI Blazer 9mm FMJ 115grn Aluminum

KahrKRL
02-06-2010, 10:23 AM
I have tried Gold Dot, Hornady, and Winchester. All 115 Gr. no issues with any of theses. I have not tried any of the Blazer rounds. My PM9 has yet to jam for me.....