View Full Version : Thinking about building an AR-15

Thunder71
01-20-2012, 08:42 AM
I have the bug, but there are SO many options out there... not sure yet if I want to build or buy one ready to go.

Needs:
Removable handle
16" chrome lined barrel

Wants:
Ambi safety
Ambi charging handle
Ambi mag release

I've looked at Del-Ton and DPMS (made in my state), so far.

Initial budget is about $700.

Suggestions?

JFootin
01-20-2012, 08:59 AM
Thunder, your first look should be at Stag Arms (http://www.stagarms.com/) because everything they make is available LEFT HANDED!!!

ripley16
01-20-2012, 09:30 AM
I bought a Stag lefty for my son. It is a very nice AR.

rholmes69
01-20-2012, 04:49 PM
Or http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/

Thunder71
01-20-2012, 08:30 PM
I bought a Bushmaster today, should have it next week. I may put some ambi parts on it, we'll see. I didn't see the value personally in going full out left handed though. I'm used to shooting right handed shotguns so it's no big deal.

Sent using Tapatalk, thanks for supporting it on this site.

CJB
01-20-2012, 09:20 PM
In my little self absorbed Jedi mentality... and light sabres not yet being invented.... I think every guitar player should build at least one guitar, one amplifier and one effect pedal from scratch. Likewise every shooter should at least build one 1911 and one AR-15 from scratch. Its the right thing to do. It immerses the sentient consciousness of the shooter to a soul's depth level with the hardware of his craft that is otherwise unknown to him (or her).

Go for it. Expect some trial and error, some mis-steps and redo operations to get things "just so". Go for perfection, you'll get it eventually.

yqtszhj
01-21-2012, 06:08 AM
I bought a Bushmaster today, should have it next week. I may put some ambi parts on it, we'll see. I didn't see the value personally in going full out left handed though. I'm used to shooting right handed shotguns so it's no big deal.

Sent using Tapatalk, thanks for supporting it on this site.

Ahhhh.... I don't know which one you got but Bushmaster is a good choice IMHO. I have the 20 inch barrel with an A3 upper and full stock. I can take off the carry handle and put a scope on it in 2 minutes. I have fired well over a thousand rounds through it and it has never had a malfunction. It is tight with no rattles like everything was hand fitted. It's so accurate I can bust target clays at 100 yards with iron sights and then put on the scope and shoot the little pieces.

Funny part is, the wife is the one that wanted me to get the full size classic about 2 years ago and insisted I buy from a well known company. Dang, she was right again. Oh, and next time we go to the range to shoot her new pistol she has informed me we are taking the AR too. :D

yqtszhj
01-21-2012, 06:15 AM
Likewise every shooter should at least build one 1911 and one AR-15 from scratch. Its the right thing to do. It immerses the sentient consciousness of the shooter to a soul's depth level with the hardware of his craft that is otherwise unknown to him (or her).

Go for it. Expect some trial and error, some mis-steps and redo operations to get things "just so". Go for perfection, you'll get it eventually.

CAnt argue with that either. That can be AR #2.