View Full Version : What you guys think about this review?

Vinikahr
01-27-2010, 01:57 PM
This person left the review on this site (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_reviews_info.php/products_id/40141/reviews_id/5136)no much details if the firearm was new or used and where was bought only a rant:

"Fired less than seventy rounds through it and the finish started to peel from the barrel. Fired one hundred twenty rounds through it and the slide locks back all the time. Contacted Kahr customer service by email on 01/19. They responded with options the following day. I responded with what I wanted to do. they did not respond for six days so I sent another email. They responded that same day. They don't pay for shipping on the defective pistol. First and last Kahr I purchase." :der::86:

wyntrout
01-27-2010, 03:03 PM
And he's trying to sell that CW40 for $415 with that glowing testimony?
Wynn:confused:

jwr
01-27-2010, 03:44 PM
From the little reading I've done I don't doubt he had the issues he mentioned. Plating peeling off the barrel and it sounds like follower problems with the magazine.

Like the reviewer I was surprised while reading my warranty card for my new CW9 that it's Kahr's written policy to stick the consumer with the shipping charge for warranty repairs. And while I've read feedback here that leads me to believe that they'll sometimes cover the shipping for you, that's not their written policy. I know several other manufacturers will pay shipping both ways on warranty repairs.

The whole email thing is easily understandable and one of the reasons I rarely rely solely on email when dealing with customer support. It's very easy for an email response to get overlooked--inadvertently.

The good side to this is that the other reviews for that same gun are all 5 stars, which gives everyone a good perspective of how fine a firearm it is. Looks like Kahr just let a bad one slip out the door and then fumbled the customer service afterward.

I'm sorry the guy had a bad experience, as Kahr should be, because I'm sure he'll relate this same experience for years every time Kahr comes up in a thread or conversation.

Vinikahr
01-27-2010, 03:55 PM
And he's trying to sell that CW40 for $415 with that glowing testimony?
Wynn:confused:

Wynn, the site indicates for how much are they selling the CW40 for, not that he is selling it, but he does not indicates that he bought it used or new and from whom, the person is just using the site to rant:32: the product.:ohmy::eek:

Price
01-27-2010, 03:59 PM
Maybe I got lucky then, I broke a spring in my cw45 the first time I put it back together. Just wasnt used to how the slidelock went back into the gun and forced it too much. I dropped it off at the lgs that I bought it from and a week later it was back and I payed nothing. So maybe it was just my lucky day but for me they paid for my own dumb mistake so Kahr customer service is damn fine by me.

Vinikahr
01-27-2010, 04:03 PM
[QUOTE]From the little reading I've done I don't doubt he had the issues he mentioned. Plating peeling off the barrel and it sounds like follower problems with the magazine.It would has help his case if indicated if he/she got the firearm new and original owner.

Like the reviewer I was surprised while reading my warranty card for my new CW9 that it's Kahr's written policy to stick the consumer with the shipping charge for warranty repairs. And while I've read feedback here that leads me to believe that they'll sometimes cover the shipping for you, that's not their written policy. I know several other manufacturers will pay shipping both ways on warranty repairs.It is standard industry practices for sellers to cover the costs of replacing and or covering shipping expenses on warranty their dime for defective products, buyers have different or even more rights from state to state.

The whole email thing is easily understandable and one of the reasons I rarely rely solely on email when dealing with customer support. It's very easy for an email response to get overlooked--inadvertently.I like to use email, that way I have documentation of what went on in case of SHTF with any product I buy and will have evidence. Eventually, rule of thumb is to allow 48 business hours for a reply. If not they will get an email once a week until I get a response.

The good side to this is that the other reviews for that same gun are all 5 stars, which gives everyone a good perspective of how fine a firearm it is. Looks like Kahr just let a bad one slip out the door and then fumbled the customer service afterward. Things happen. Reasons for them to make it right on their dime under warranty.

I'm sorry the guy had a bad experience, as Kahr should be, because I'm sure he'll relate this same experience for years every time Kahr comes up in a thread or conversation.Exactly! But it would have been beneficial to have all the facts!:ohmy::eek:

jwr
01-27-2010, 04:07 PM
Maybe I got lucky then, I broke a spring in my cw45 the first time I put it back together. Just wasnt used to how the slidelock went back into the gun and forced it too much. I dropped it off at the lgs that I bought it from and a week later it was back and I payed nothing. So maybe it was just my lucky day but for me they paid for my own dumb mistake so Kahr customer service is damn fine by me.
I've already read enough here to make me think that Kahr's customer service is pretty good. For one thing they're willing to ship out minor parts and walk you through a repair while others will absolutely require you to send the gun back.

In your case it sounds like you may have avoided the shipping fee by allowing your local shop to send it back for you. Smart move.

I've also read several posts where Kahr foot the shipping both ways when it *was* required to send the gun back.

My point is simply that their written policy is that the consumer pays shipping. I don't know how they decide when to step in and cover it themselves.

My latest interaction was with Sig's customer service. They were quick to resolve my problem. They also cover shipping on warranty repairs. But... it has been my experience that they will not send small parts out so you can make repairs yourself. Something that makes me nuts.

jwr
01-27-2010, 04:20 PM
It is standard industry practices for sellers to cover the costs of replacing and or covering shipping expenses on warranty their dime for defective products, users has different or even more rights from state to state.

In my experience both Springfield and Sig pay shipping both ways as a matter of policy. It makes a big difference when you're talking about $40 a shot and the defect is theirs. I don't know about the other manufacturers.

Exactly! But it would have been beneficial to have all the facts!:ohmy::eek:
True, but that's not gonna happen in an online review like that. It just means one more guy out there trashing Kahr every time they come up.

Don't get me wrong--I'm have nothing against Kahr and I really like mine. I do think they fumbled this one though and there may have been nothing they could really do about it if the guy had an axe to grind. I just hate to see it happen. In the online world most folks won't know if this guy is a total noob idiot or a very knowledgeable gun owner. They'll just see totally negative comments from him every time Kahr comes up.

I see the same thing with my P238. There have been some issues with them and some folks have gotten burned, but there are a lot of us who are absolutely delighted with the gun. If you search around online though you'll see a LOT of negative and it's gotten so bad that many of the horrible reviews are coming from folks who have never owned, fired, or even handled the gun.

ripley16
01-27-2010, 04:44 PM
Just for the record; my one and only time contacting Kahr about a warranty issue, they did not offer to pay shipping...to the contrary, they told me it was on me. This seems to be a hit or miss policy.

I left a less than flattering review at Buds, but it concerned Bud's selling practices much more than the gun.

I do know this; if I bought a new gun and the barrel flaked away, I would be pissed off. I don't begrudge the guy being miffed at all.

The slide is locking back because he put it back together wrong. How many times have we seen this problem posted?

jwr
01-27-2010, 05:18 PM
I do know this; if I bought a new gun and the barrel flaked away, I would be pissed off. I don't begrudge the guy being miffed at all.
I agree. I think making the customer pay $40 to ship it back is just salt in the wound too.

Now if he would have sent photos of the barrel and Kahr would have just sent the guy a new barrel and magazine I think the outcome could have been entirely different.

Interestingly, (to me anyway), I've read a lot of positive and negative things about Kel-Tecs but when it comes to customer service almost everything I've read and heard from the local shops is that they are absolutely stellar. In fact when I bought my CW9 i had a choice between the CW9 and a KT PF-9. The manager of the shop told me that in his opinion Kahr was a higher quality firearm but if I bought the PF-9 KT would be right there to support me for the life of the gun and they *would* make things right.

Kel-Tec is also another one of the manufacturers who pays shipping both ways in the case of a warranty repair.

I obviously thought the CW9 was the better gun and I don't regret my decision at all. I just bring KT up as an example of what a reputation for good customer service can do.

recoilguy
01-28-2010, 07:33 AM
jwr, I too had similar experiance, The LGS guy has told me KT customer service is almost as good as Hi Point. It's a shame that you have to sell anything of the quality of KT or HP to have a reputation of quality customer service.

Good products and poor service will lose more customers then poor products and good service.

I am very happy with my Kahr weapon and have never (knock wood) needed to use the cust service dept. I buy a few guns a year and if I am not treated as a valuabled part of the business when I do talk to the company, no matter how nice my gun or car or computer is, i will look else where for quality and to feel appreciated. If my barrel were peeling after 500 rounds I would be furious let alone 70. Kahr can make a mistake, it would be in their best ineterest to say they re sorry, it is not to be expected and they will make it right and be sure their customer is happy.

Or they can make a disgruntled customer pay....to send away his gun he paid good money for and ignore his requests for help. The internet can be your worst enemy.

RCG

RCG

jwr
01-28-2010, 10:14 AM
Good products and poor service will lose more customers then poor products and good service.

Very nicely put.

deadhead1971
02-03-2010, 06:19 AM
I won't mention the guy's last name, but most of us know "Ian" at Kahr. I have his e-mail. I have had 2 problems, so I e-mailed him directly and he took care of it.