PDA

View Full Version : Confusing!

Staffords
01-26-2012, 02:05 AM
I'm a new member and I just purchased my first Kahr, a brand new K9. I just wanted to share some (new to me) information that will probably just confuse what you already think you know about the K9 and its trigger.

From what I understood, Kahr is as of late supposed to be putting the Elite trigger in the regular K9's as standard equipment and only including the NYPD trigger in s guns with "C" in the model number for example K9093C or K9093AC. The label on the box also indicates NYPD or something like that.

Well, I special ordered up a new K9 through a local gun store and I specified to them I wanted the K9093A model, not an NYPD trigger model with "C" in there as there seem to be lots of those around. They followed through and brought in for me a new Kahr K9. I checked the label on the box and it says model "K9093A" and makes no mention of NYPD anything or ay "C". I figured it was good to go.

I emailed Kahr to find out the production date of my gun which has a serial number "BF23XX" and also asked about the trigger since I heard that if you ask customer service you can get your answer straight from the horse's mouth. Well Jay from customer service says my K9 was manufactured December 2011 (less than 2 months ago!), but DOES have the NYPD trigger system! I should have just shelled out the couple extra bucks for an Elite because apparently that is the only way to actually get an Elite trigger.

Anyways, the gun is going through the 10-day wait before I clean it, check it for function, and then I've got a list of custom work to be done to make it my own. I hope to have it finished soon so I can share pictures. I look forward to learning from you guys and asking for help if I run into any problems!

jocko
01-26-2012, 04:19 AM
naw u have an elite trigger. that mdel # dictates that. I don't want to say Jay is wrong, but I think he misunderstood . The A means nadda as far as any alpha system kahr uses to identify their kahr. you have the elite. U got a good one, break it in good before doing alot of any thing tothe gun. make sure it is right and running lkke a top and thenb only do the custom stuff...

It is a dandy K9, trust me on that.

PM sent

Staffords
01-26-2012, 03:30 PM
Thank you for clarifying, jocko.

JR1138
12-09-2012, 06:18 PM
So, is this a settled issue? Whether or not there is a noticeable difference in 1/8" trigger pull, I'm still curious as to what I have. Is there any definitive evidence that K9093A models are shipping with "elite" triggers....or NYPD triggers?

Perhaps, with the NYPD contract ended Kahr is using up NYPD trigger parts until they're gone and so there'll be a mix on the market in the short run....pure speculation on my part.

Anybody know?

Tilos
12-09-2012, 10:28 PM
Measure it, then you'll know

JR1138
12-10-2012, 08:41 PM
So no one knows? Looking over past threads there seems to be a consensus that since around late 2010 / early 2011 only K9093AC or K9093C come with an NYPD trigger and all others K9093(A)'s come with the elite trigger.

I was hoping someone would know the source of that kernel of knowledge or is it simply internet lore?

I had inquired about the manufacture date (mine didn't come with a fired casing) and the trigger with Kahr sales. Here was the response.

John,

Your firearm was manufactured November 2012. Based upon this serial number it does not seem that your firearm has the NYPD or Elite trigger.I hope this helps.

Have a good day, {name removed}
---------
So, is there a third type of trigger system???
---------
I later inquired with Kahr tech support, first providing just the model number on the box (K9093A). Tech support replied that that information was insufficient to determine the trigger type and asked for my serial number which I provided. Here's the answer:

Good morning. That would have the NYPD trigger.

sincerely,
{name removed}

Kahr Customer Service
508-795- 3919
www.kahr.com
www.tommygun.com
To receive a RMA please complete our on-line RMA
Which can be found at https://www.kahr.com/kahr-rma.asp
For visual reference of how to assemble/disassemble a Kahr pistol
http://www.kahr.com/OR-1G.html
For shipping information
http://kahr.com/service.html
-----------

Neither answer jives with what I've read on this forum. So to those who believe all K9093 NON-"C" models come with an "elite" trigger, what's your source? :confused:

Tilos
12-10-2012, 10:21 PM
um, did YOU measure it :2rolleyes:

jocko
12-11-2012, 04:24 AM
there is only two trigger systems in the kahr K series. the NYPD 1/2" travel and the elite trigger 3/8" travel. there is no third trigger system.

My thoughts based on my NYPD K9 and my PM9 trigger (elite) is hat I really can't tell the difference. an 1/8" is not alot u know. I shoot my K9 better than my PM9.

I guess also if u don't know what trigger system is in ur K series, then that tells me that you would not feel the difference, one way or the other. Some mayb e can, ,if u have both side by side, but otherwise I just have my doubts.. I would venture to say that most every K9 made two + years ago unless specal order haad the NYPD trigger in it. Had kahr probably called their elite trigger their standardtrigger, we again woul dnot make such a to-do about it. I just don't consider an 1/8" elite. Just my two cents.

Measuring a kahr trigger is not the easiest either. I can measure my PM9 which I know is elite kand my NYPD K9 and cme up different every tome. Course I do have a sh!t trigger gauge to

Trigger poundage is the same in every kahr, but there will also be variances in it also. A striker sprng with 500 rounds is less poundage than a new out of box striker spring. If u really wantto help your kahrs feel different just buy from wolffs their 5# dr\op in striker spring and that will give u a ncie trigger with zero mods and cost and it also after 500 rounds will drop in poundage to. I have 32K oon my PM9 with the 5# striker. I never measure it (crapy trigger gauge) but I know it is less than 5#. Never a light strike either..

ripley16
12-11-2012, 05:23 AM
There have been several people posting their disappointment in buying new K9s that are still equipped with the long trigger. I've never seen anything posted on the Kahr web site that indicates they changed the K9 trigger. Not saying Kahr didn't change, just that it isn't apparent or specifically denoted in the model number. Still confusing.

muggsy
12-11-2012, 06:08 AM
This all goes to the debate over more is better or less is more. I say don't worry about it and shoot it like you stole it. It's a Kahr. What cold be better?

Tilos
12-11-2012, 10:55 AM
Cook(sp police, change 2nd o to a c) the unloaded gun and lay it on a piece of paper.
Put a pen straight down against the trigger and push the trigger rearward until it clicks while holding the gun down so that it does not move.
The length of the line on the paper is the length of pull.
Do this several times and average the results.

That, or continue to bloviate for a few more pages:popcorn:

Bongo Boy
12-11-2012, 01:13 PM
It's a damn fine day when a new word is not only fun to say and amusing to hear, but widely applicable to many everday office activities and easily extended through a multitude of largely pejorative forms and possibly some new words entirely.

'Embloviated' comes to mind as being particularly versatile in many of today's corporate environments, and 'bloviant'; both beg for widespread application in discussions of business and political culture. Among friends, of course.

I suppose 'unloaded' should be the word most focused-upon in the previous post. Please let me wipe the tears of laughter from my eyes and get back to our serious business here. :)

jocko
12-11-2012, 04:01 PM
From what I have seen and read is that all K9 todaqy unless the box is marked otherwise, come now with the elite triggter, where as in the NYPD days, practically allK9 were shipped with the NYPD trigger unless otherw8se marked on the box.
the NYD trigger is stillavailablebut from whatI have been told, it is not standard anymore, as it used to be. Just sayin.

There is a prefix on the end oof the model K9 today telling u if u hve the nypd trigger and right now I forgot what that was. In my little mind I thought it was a C but don't qupte meon that. I will try to find out

JR1138
12-11-2012, 04:48 PM
I have measured it, with a micrometer, and right in the middle I get .465".

There are K9093AC models that say "Features NYPD trigger" like this one (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_51/products_id/27370) on Buds and others like mine which are K9093A with no mention of NYPD.

It's hard to say whether the difference would be noticeable without comparing the two models side by side. On a Ruger Mk III 22/45 I swapped the magazine disconnect for a Sam Lam bushing and one effect was that it removed a small hitch in the trigger pull. A big difference? No. Just a modest improvement.

I'm not pissed off, the trigger feels very smooth and I'm accustomed to revolver triggers anyway. Having read on this forum that all standard K9 models were being shipped with "elite" triggers since about 2011 I just wondered if this was true/false or luck of the draw.

I went ahead and ordered some of those Pau Ferro grips, btw. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/tnbackpacker/K9/K9019.jpg

Tinman507
12-11-2012, 04:56 PM
For me, recognizing the difference between the Elite, NYPD or regular old trigger on my K9 is like me trying to discern the difference between Beluga, Ossetra and Sevruga caviars.

It's still all salty fish eggs to me.

I am not experienced enough to really tell or appreciate the difference. Having said that, my K9 (NYPD) is the smoothest shooting pistol I have ever shot.
Go have fun with it and enjoy. Don't obsess over the trigger and appreciate Kahr's best product.

jocko
12-11-2012, 05:02 PM
jr1138 ur k9 has the elite trigger..

Bawanna
12-11-2012, 05:16 PM
Still bloviating this one huh? Well bloviate on.

Tinman507
12-11-2012, 05:29 PM
http://rlv.zcache.com/agitate_alienate_bloviate_t_shirt-r1b690a5bb03f45278ce0ea6eb2ef6b2b_804gs_512.jpg

JR1138
12-11-2012, 05:50 PM
Hmmm, seems this is a touchy subject around here. Being new to Kahrs I'm just trying to learn. I would suggest that if it upsets you, feel free to ignore the thread. But as it has ended where it began I'd say it's done. :w00t:

:yo:

Bongo Boy
12-11-2012, 05:51 PM
Definitely not from my perspective...seems like a perfectly reasonable question and topic. But, it seems you're including pre-travel as well, is that right? And what are you rigging up to prevent overtravel? I'm having a real hard time taking the measurement, but am getting from 0.22" to 0.28", removing both pre- and over-travel as best I can.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/tnbackpacker/K9/K9019.jpg

It's gorgeous. I'm envious of the frame finish and the very nice job done putting the engraving on. My refurb unit looks like they bead blasted with marbles and the lettering looks like it was done with one of those electric buzzer engravers, by comparison. Very nice.

Tinman507
12-11-2012, 06:12 PM
Hmmm, seems this is a touchy subject around here. Being new to Kahrs I'm just trying to learn. I would suggest that if it upsets you, feel free to ignore the thread. But as it has ended where it began I'd say it's done. :w00t:

:yo:

Please don't misunderstand. None of this was meant to be disrespectful to you or your questions. It was our way of reassuring you that you have an awesome gun and to not fixate on the nuances of the trigger system whichever that may be. It's a fantastic firearm and you will love how it shoots.