PDA

View Full Version : .22 caliber semi-auto

Dietrich
01-30-2010, 04:39 AM
This is going to be my next handgun purchase.Thankfully,I have you folks to guide me on this one as I don`t have any expertise concerning .22s.This will be a target pistol,not a carry gun. Can you find a good .22 semi auto in the $500.00 range? If so,what models?

ripley16
01-30-2010, 06:09 AM
My personal favorite it the Browning Buckmark. This one is a Field 5.5, very similar to the Target model. You should be able to find one less than $500. I prefer it to the Ruger because the trigger is much nicer. Ergonomics and balance are good. It has a picatinny rail for optics.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/Pistols/browningbuckmark.jpg

Actually my favorite is a Colt Woodsman Match Target, but I doubt you'll find one for $500. They are due to be available per the Shot Show, but at around $800. Here's a link to some info...

http://www.usfirearms.com/pdf/USFA_Press_Release_Woodsman_REVISED_1-19-2010.pdf

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/Pistols/Woodsman003.jpg

I found wanting both the Sig Mosquito and the Walther P22.

jwr
01-30-2010, 09:53 AM
I have a Ruger MKII and a Walther P22. The Ruger is built much better and is more accurate. It's also been very reliable for years and years.

I also have a Walther P22 and I shoot it a *lot* more than the Ruger just because it's more fun. It's a combat style pistol and it allows a little more felt recoil which is good for practice.

The P22's are known to have some reliability issues but mine has been 100% reliable for a couple of reasons. I polished the feed ramp and trgger bar ears right out of the box and all I ever shoot with it are CCI Mini-Mags.

You can easily find either for under $500. The Walther goes for around $300-325 locally. The Rugers are more but still under $500.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn69/jerrywrussell/mkiip22-100.jpg

Bawanna
01-30-2010, 10:12 AM
I have that same Colt Match Target and its really a sweetheart. I'm happy to hear Colt might get back in the game and make them. Hope they come close to the old ones. My hands down favorite even over the Colt is my early S&W 41. Feels even better in the hand and accurate beyond belief even in my average shooter hands. Trigger to beg for.
Getting back to Mr. Deitrich I agree with JWR. I have a stainless Ruger MII that's fun to shoot, bomb proof and plenty accurate. It's a nightmare to detail strip but rarely have to do that and like everything else if you do it a few times it gets easier.
I don't own the Browning but a friend does and they are very good too. I would not put the Walther in a target class and it doesn't exude quality, course you can't compare with a Colt Woodsman, wouldn't be fair BUT mine is a blast to shoot, it feels great in the hand and is just plain fun. My daughter seems to have took that one off my hands. (At least she didn't get my 41.
Lots of good stuff out there Mr. Dietrich. Keep us posted on your quest.

mr surveyor
01-30-2010, 11:43 AM
another big supporter of the Ruger Mk II.

Ruger got it right when the .22 cal pistol was designed. I've handled no less than a dozen Ruger semi-auto .22 cal pistols, and every one was 100% reliable from the beginning, and POA/POI was spot on from the box.

There are many, many varieties og the Ruger Mark "x" pistols to choose from, but my personal preference has always been the "22/45" style. The grip angle and overall hand feel is more similar to my single stack daily carry guns which makes "cross training" more practical. My current bull barreled Mk II 22/45 has had somewhere between 15,000 and 20,000 rounds through it with no sign of internal wear, and no parts replacements. It's reliable with anything from "standard pressure" win super-x 36 grain value pack up the ladder to CCI mini-mags and beyond.

The Browning Buckmark is also a very well made, high end pistol. Personally, I do not like the fact that the barrel lug is not an integral part of the barrel itself, yet it is soldered to the barrel. I have seen that particular part fail. Otherwise, the BuckMark is second on my list.

The fairly new Sig Mosquito is a great concept, although still a bit ammo sensitive. For somewhat limited shooting the need to use a particular brand of ammunition (CCI and a couple of others) isn't really a big factor. But for those of us that will shoot an entire brick of ammo on the range (or "turtle shooting") the ammo requirement is not only cost prohibitive, but often impossible due to local availability of that ammo.

The Walthers are probably "o.k.", but from my experiences with friends and relatives pistols at the range, I would have to pass.

Beretta makes some fine pistols as well, but I have no personal hands on knowledge about their .22 cal offerings to be able to make any suggestion.

There is a massive amount of info and chatter all over the www concerning the .22 cal pistols, covering the good, bad and ugly of all. The only real issue I have ever heard brought up consistantly concerning the Ruger pistol is the methods required for field stripping and re-assembly. Once you've figured out a couple of very simple manuevers, you can just about handle it in the dark. It's hard to believe that there are that many people in the firearms world with such little patience, perseverence and observation skills.

Anyhoo.... that's my $0.29

surv

In-Yo-Grill
01-30-2010, 02:00 PM
I have the Browning Buckmark and the Ruger 22/45 and they are both sweet shooters. I've never even modified either of mine...yet.

jfrey
01-30-2010, 03:36 PM
I realized last summer that I didn't have a good .22 pistol to keep the rest of my collection company. To rectify that I got the Buck Mark URX. It is a great shooter and with the addition of a Browning rail and BSA holographic sight, my groups got a lot smaller. The sear job I did myself was easy and very effective. I have about $425.00 total in the gun. Compared to that, my friend bought a Ruger Mark III Hunter. He has had a lot of malfunctions with it and now wants to trade it in on a Browning, after shooting mine.

From my personal experience, the S&W 41 shoots good but not any better than my Browning and is a lot more expensive. There are folks out there who would argue that, but I know what I feel and see when I pull the trigger.

The original Colt Woodsman second series Math Target is a great pistol but you can't find one in much shape for less than $800.00 or $900.00 at best. Parts for the originals are getting very scarce too.

Bottom line, I suggest you get a Buck Mark and a LOT of ammo. You're gonna need it. They are fun to shoot.

ltxi
01-30-2010, 05:28 PM
I have the Browning Buckmark and the Ruger 22/45 and they are both sweet shooters. I've never even modified either of mine...yet.

x2.....like both, although my favorite "target" .22 is a revolver.

SHOOTER13
01-30-2010, 05:31 PM
+1 for the Browning Buckmark...I bought this one used for $150 with the red dot and 5 extra magazines at my local indoor range a few years ago.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj239/Gunnutz13/avatars/MY%20GUNS/BROWNINGBUCKMARKsmall-1.jpg

fitzgood
01-30-2010, 11:34 PM
I have had a Ruger Mark I 5" Bull Barrel for 15 years and it is a fantastic little shooter. The Mark II and III are similar and also really nice. I think if you want a target .22 pistol under $500 your want to be looking at a Ruger Mark I, II, or III or a Browning Buckmark and both are great pistols.

If you want a fun semi auto plinker and accuracy isn't a big concern, Sig and Walther make some cool looking .22s. I have heard both are ammo sensitive though.

Dietrich
01-31-2010, 03:46 AM
Thank you all for your input.I`ll start looking around at the Rugers and the Brownings.I intend to take my time and see if I can run across a deal.It`s nice to know what you`re looking for but not be in a big hurry to buy.I want a .22 semi-auto but I don`t have the fever that I sometimes get.I`m sure most of you have caught the fever at one time or another and know what I`m talking about. ;)

johnh
01-31-2010, 08:30 AM
I am probably going to do a Walther as they are easy to install suppressors on. I have been holding off getting one since Missouri became suppressor legal.

John

fitzgood
01-31-2010, 08:35 AM
Thank you all for your input.I`ll start looking around at the Rugers and the Brownings.I intend to take my time and see if I can run across a deal.It`s nice to know what you`re looking for but not be in a big hurry to buy.I want a .22 semi-auto but I don`t have the fever that I sometimes get.I`m sure most of you have caught the fever at one time or another and know what I`m talking about. ;)

I know exactly what you are talking about. I am currently trying to resist the fever to buy a ridiculously expensive tactical flashlight. I just got one of my PM9 holsters in the mail which bought me some time. But the temptation of Surefire is strong and I wont be able to keep it away for long.

Yeah, I know what you mean about the fever. On the bright side, its how I get my coolest stuff:D

ripley16
01-31-2010, 09:54 AM
I am probably going to do a Walther as they are easy to install suppressors on. I have been holding off getting one since Missouri became suppressor legal.

John

The Buckmark is suppressor friendly also. Here's a bit from another forum. The price is pretty good too.

SUPPRESSED BUCKMARK PISTOL PACKAGE!!!! - Maryland Shooters (http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=28983)

jwr
01-31-2010, 12:11 PM
Like I said before, I enjoy my Walther a lot more than my Ruger even though it's not made nearly as well. It's just a lot of fun and in size is a lot closer to my other "combat" styled guns.

After watching a YouTube video of someone firing a suppressed P22 I'd love to get one on mine. It just hasn't been a priority yet and I haven't checked the requirements.

Please let us know what you think of it if you do end up getting one!

jeep45238
01-31-2010, 12:45 PM
I've done a lot of shooting with P22's (about 5 years) and 1-2 years with Ruger Mark series - I've also done a ton of shooting with S&W 22's (not the model 41), Browning Buckmarks, Beretta Neos, and some with a Colt Woodsman.

I like the Colt Woodsman the MOST out of all of them (except the heel mag release). I bought a Ruger Mark 3. The rest of the pistols were average for accuracy, reliability, and ergonomics. None of them have a price difference to the Ruger that was enough to make up for the negatives for everything else in my eyes. I got this when I was working at a gun shop, so keep in mind this was wholesale pricing to me, not retail.

The reliability, durability, relative accuracy, choice of polymer or steel frame, and multitude of options out of the factory in regards to barrel lengths, profiles, lengths, and sights - they have something that'll work for what you want.

wyntrout
01-31-2010, 12:57 PM
The Buckmark is suppressor friendly also. Here's a bit from another forum. The price is pretty good too.

SUPPRESSED BUCKMARK PISTOL PACKAGE!!!! - Maryland Shooters (http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=28983)

Now that's a neat Buckmark combo! You can still use the iron sights with that setup.<<excuse me a second, gotta wipe the drool from my chin>>
Wynn:D

jwr
01-31-2010, 01:17 PM
How about a 1950's J.C. Higgens Model 90 9 shot .22 revolver. Straight from the Sears catalog :) (shown with a P22 for scale):

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn69/jerrywrussell/jchiggens-100.jpg

Ah, but I digress. Sorry!

zena
01-31-2010, 05:24 PM

John

When the supressed Walther comes out to play it is usually the most popular gun of the day. Sounds like you are shooting spitballs. We have to keep reminding ourselves that it is still a gun!:86:

noslolo
02-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Hard to go wrong with a Browning or a Ruger, but I own a Buck Mark. I just love the trigger and the tack driving qualities. Looks like that p22 would be a lot of fun for plinking as well.

Osu Bowhunter
02-01-2010, 02:18 PM
I recently purchased the Sig Mosquito and while it is very sensitive to the ammo choice, I have been very happy with it. I have put about 300 rounds downrange and the only problems have been when I have not used CCI minimags.

steve666
02-02-2010, 06:17 AM
I have a Buckmark and a Walther, I like them both though I think the Browning is the more accurate of the two. Of the five .22's I own my favorite is the High Standard Supermatic Trophy (about twice the $$$) followed by my Rossi revolver (about 1/3 the $$$), the Buckmark, the Walther, then the Ruger Single Six.:behindsofa: