View Full Version : New or used K9

jdr3366
02-02-2012, 11:07 AM
OK, I'm getting a K9.

Do the members of this tread have any cautions, suggestions, recommendations about getting a new or used one???

bufford
02-02-2012, 11:53 AM
I would definitely get a used one, keep an eye out for guys in NY as they just dis-allowed their law enforcement from carrying them. You can get a good gun, cared for by a professional at a great price!!

Bawanna
02-02-2012, 12:28 PM
I'd be perfectly ok with either new or used in the K9. It's a great solid gun with very few issues ever.
If the price is good used is great. I think the K9 might be one model where old might be just as good or better than new. Just my own small opinion of course.
The first Kahr I ever laid eyes on was a old K9 that an officer got. I'm not a machinist by any stretch but it was a thing of beauty inside. Just beautiful.
I got my K40 based on that first impression.

JohnR
02-02-2012, 02:52 PM
Some of the early K9s were a different kind of steel IIRC. I bought mine used, and I would again.

Kahrson
02-02-2012, 03:08 PM
My tendency is to look new. Unless it's someone I know really well. I have purchased nearly every gun I own on line. Always find them considerably cheaper.
I just like knowing exactly what I'm starting with and have the factory warranty to back me up.
Start used and you have a issue or two early on you will always have doubt in your mind if the previous owner dumped a problem gun on you.

Most will disagree but that's just my approach

eltee
02-02-2012, 03:30 PM
The K9 reputation has always been good. I've had two. The last one I bought new in about the year 2000, never had any problems with it and I still shoot it regularly.

jocko
02-02-2012, 03:56 PM
muy K9 is used and now has over 5K in it from me without one issue. super handgun..

ripley16
02-02-2012, 05:21 PM
Both of my K9s were used and both perform very well. If you can find a nice used one then I'd say don't hesitate. It's possible to save hundreds of dollars buying used...provided the gun is in proper condition of course.

Staffords
02-03-2012, 05:31 AM
Personally I prefer new... But it seems like the Kahrs, at least more so than other guns, are often purchased by people who plan to use them for carry or home defense but don't actually shoot them very much. While browsing around for my K9 I saw a few used Kahrs with surprisingly low round count up for sale. Clean it, lube it, replace the springs and its basically a new gun!

jdr3366
02-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Good advice Staffords, thanks.

From an aesthetic point of view, what can be done about wear and scratches I see on used blackened stainless models?