View Full Version : Is there a .22 Magnum firearm worth having?

Scoundrel
02-03-2012, 09:22 PM
So, is there a low cost .22 Magnum weapon, either rifle or pistol, that is worth having?

OK, so I had very bad results with the Charter Arms .22 Magnum Dixie Derringer, and I'm not interested in trying again with the NAA version of this.

I've heard about all kinds of problems with the Kel Tec PMR30.
The Kel Tec RMR30 is a "vapor gun" at this point, like the KSG, and will probably have the same issues as the PMR30.

Rossi seems to be discontinuing their .22 Magnum stuff, and the Wizard rifle is too big and overpriced anyway.

Ruger has some .22 Magnum bolt action rifles, but they are also quite spendy.

Taurus has the 941, and Bud's has a nice one for $331 (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/494/products_id/31429), but I already have a snubby .22LR revolver and a long barrel .22LR pistol. Why do I need a long barrel .22 Magnum revolver?

If I was really interested in getting a 22 Magnum handgun, I suppose it would be that last one, the Taurus 941. I like my Taurus Judge a lot, though I hardly use it due to the expense of shooting it. The 941 would cost about as much as a 9mm.

But, perhaps the best thing to do would be to find someone to sell my .22 Magnum ammo to. I have about $45 worth that I never got to shoot through the derringer. I keep wanting to buy a gun to shoot it with, and telling myself it is stupid to buy a $350 gun just because I have $45 worth of ammo I can't use. But, I don't know a lot of local gun owners and don't want to hassle with the ORM-D certification so I can ship it.

I should start by doing nothing, until I get the .22LR version of that mini-revolver back from Charter. Then, we'll see.

Ideas? Suggestions?

cesande
02-03-2012, 09:25 PM
I had a 22 wmr lever action as a teen...
I believe it was a marlin..
Loved that rifle and dread the day I traded her off...
Still after LOTS of trying have not found another to replace her....

May have to get a Henry one day just cause they make one still.

Bawanna
02-03-2012, 09:26 PM
I don't know what they run now days but I'd look at a Ruger Single six convertible. Then you can shoot magnum or long rifle easy. Great fun, good shooter.

Scoundrel
02-03-2012, 09:29 PM
Well, this thread just talked me out of the Taurus 941:
http://www.shootersforum.com/handguns/63924-revolver-cylinder-binding.html

I suppose I should not let a single thread dissuade me without a more thorough investigation, especially as I am quite happy with the Taurus revolver I have now, but I also remembered how much of a PITA it is to clean revolvers.

MW surveyor
02-03-2012, 09:30 PM
I don't know what they run now days but I'd look at a Ruger Single six convertible. Then you can shoot magnum or long rifle easy. Great fun, good shooter.

Ok, I've got a Ruger Single six convertible. The 22 mag cylinder is matched to the gun. It also has target sights and a red dot sight on it just for kicks! If you don't mind a single action gun, it is one way to go.

BTW - the magnum round through it is more accurate than the 22 lr.

Another BTW - A couple of months ago I saw a 941 used at my LGS. Priced at $125 and no takers!

Bawanna
02-03-2012, 09:33 PM
I love mine and with the single action you can pull the cylinder out and its easy to clean. I actually prefer single actions. I normally pull the hammer back even on DA's when theres a hammer to pull.

MW surveyor
02-03-2012, 09:34 PM
I normally pull the hammer back even on DA's when theres a hammer to pull.

That's cheating. :D

Scoundrel
02-03-2012, 09:39 PM
I'm sure The Ruger single six is an awesome weapon. But, I'm more into the "modern" styling. The old school stuff just doesn't appeal to me.

JimBianchi
02-03-2012, 10:07 PM
I have had both 22mag rifles and pistols over the years and have sold them all eventually.

The cost of 22Mag ammo is 20 to 25cents a round. On sale, maybe down to 18cents.

I can get 5.56/.223 for that price all day and get better ballistics to boot.

No more 22Mag for me.

gb6491
02-03-2012, 10:42 PM
.22 Magnum rifles that won't break the bank and worth a look are the Savage Arms 93 variants with the Accu trigger and the CZ 455 American.
Regards,
Greg

Scoundrel
02-03-2012, 10:50 PM
.22 Magnum rifles that won't break the bank and worth a look are the Savage Arms 93 variants with the Accu trigger and the CZ 455 American.
Regards,
Greg

Now that's an attractive basic rifle to me:
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/24151

I have two Smith & Wesson AR-style rifles (The M&P 15 and the M&P 15/22), and a Rossi Youth Combo single shot rifle (.22LR and .410).

But the first rifle I ever fired was my dad's bolt-action .22LR, when I was 15. This Savage 93F is a lot different from that old rifle, but I've always had a bit of a soft spot for bolt actions.

That's definitely worth considering, especially at that price.

Barth
02-03-2012, 10:57 PM
http://www.keltecweapons.com/uploaded_files/ourguns/gallery/b_15d179e7dd7ca525dc1c44dda16dcdf9PMR4.jpg
PMR-30
The PMR-30 is a light weight, full size pistol chambered for the flat-shooting .22Magnum cartridge (.22WMR). The PMR-30 operates on a unique hybrid blowback/locked-breech system. This operation system allows for the use of a wide variety of ammunition as it seamlessly adjusts between locked breach and blowback operation, depending on the pressure of the cartridge. It uses a double stack magazine of a new design that holds 30 rounds and fits completely in the grip of the pistol. The trigger is a crisp single action with an over-travel stop. The manual safety is a thumb activated ambidextrous safety lever (up for SAFE, down for FIRE). The slide locks back after the last shot and a manual slide lock lever is also provided. The light, crisp trigger pull and fiber optic sights make the PMR-30 ideal for target shooting and hunting small game.
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
Calibers: .22 Magnum (.22WMR)
Weight unloaded: 13.6oz. 385.6g
Loaded Magazine: 6oz. 170.1g
Length: 7.9" 200.7mm
Height: 5.8" 147.3mm
Width: 1.3" 33.0mm
Barrel length: 4.3" 109.2mm
Sight radius: 6.9" 175.3mm
Energy (40gr): 138ft-lbs 187J
Capacity: 30 rounds
Trigger pull: 4-6 lbs 17.8-26.7N
Slide and barrel are 4140 steel, frame is 7075 aluminum. Grip, slide cover, trigger, mag release, and safety levers are glass reinforced Nylon (Zytel), much like other Kel-Tec Pistols. Magazine is Also Zytel and holds 30 rounds, with round count ports. Other features include: dual opposing extractors for reliability, heel magazine release to aid in magazine retention, dovetailed aluminum front sight, Picatinny accessory rail under the barrel, Urethane recoil buffer, captive coaxial recoil springs. PMR30 disassembles for cleaning by removal of a single pin.

JFootin
02-03-2012, 11:36 PM

Ok, I've got a Ruger Single six convertible. The 22 mag cylinder is matched to the gun. It also has target sights and a red dot sight on it just for kicks! If you don't mind a single action gun, it is one way to go.

BTW - the magnum round through it is more accurate than the 22 lr.

Another BTW - A couple of months ago I saw a 941 used at my LGS. Priced at $125 and no takers!

+1 on the Ruger Single Six.

QuercusMax
02-04-2012, 06:58 AM

I'll have to look into one of these - I've been thinking of getting a .22 revolver of some type, but for some reason wasn't aware of this one. Obviously don't spend enough time in gun shops!

JFootin
02-04-2012, 08:06 AM
A question: there is another brand of very inexpensive SA .22/.22 mag revolvers called Heritage Rough Rider (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=Heritage+Rough +Rider&osCsid=adamqj0md0l1ffj4daop4bo9s6&x=0&y=0) starting at $179 at Bud's. Does anyone have actual experience with these? Does half the price of the Single Six equate to half the quality? Darn! Couldn't you buy one of these and get a trigger & action job done on it so it would shoot like Bob Munden's gun, and buy a fancy Western style holster? All for about the same money? :wof:

MW surveyor
02-04-2012, 09:44 AM
A question: there is another brand of very inexpensive SA .22/.22 mag revolvers called Heritage Rough Rider (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=Heritage+Rough +Rider&osCsid=adamqj0md0l1ffj4daop4bo9s6&x=0&y=0) starting at $179 at Bud's. Does anyone have actual experience with these? Does half the price of the Single Six equate to half the quality? Darn! Couldn't you buy one of these and get a trigger & action job done on it so it would shoot like Bob Munden's gun, and buy a fancy Western style holster? All for about the same money? :wof:

First of all, I do not own a Heritage Rough Rider.....but I'll give my opinion anyway as I looked at them before I got the Ruger :target:

I know that there are a lot of them out there, but in this instance you get what you pay for. Take a look at them side by side first, you will see the difference in the quality. Buying one of these and paying someone to do a trigger job is counter productive. You still have a cheaper gun that just shoots better than the original (but probably not better than the Ruger). Take a look at the grips, big difference in the quality of the wood. Finish on the gun, no comparison between it and the Ruger. After market stuff, way more for the Ruger available. Much as this pains me to say, resale value....the Ruger will hold its value in this situation. Unless you really bugger it up, you'll get more percentage wise back on the Ruger.

Go for quality.

JFootin
02-04-2012, 10:02 AM
First of all, I do not own a Heritage Rough Rider.....but I'll give my opinion anyway as I looked at them before I got the Ruger :target:

I know that there are a lot of them out there, but in this instance you get what you pay for. Take a look at them side by side first, you will see the difference in the quality. Buying one of these and paying someone to do a trigger job is counter productive. You still have a cheaper gun that just shoots better than the original (but probably not better than the Ruger). Take a look at the grips, big difference in the quality of the wood. Finish on the gun, no comparison between it and the Ruger. After market stuff, way more for the Ruger available. Much as this pains me to say, resale value....the Ruger will hold its value in this situation. Unless you really bugger it up, you'll get more percentage wise back on the Ruger.

Go for quality.

Thanks. That's good advice. I have to watch out and not get pinched myself when I am trying to pinch pennies. :o I handled a Single Six at a GS once and you are right, the quality is obvious.

Another good thing about a SA revolver is that a trigger job is not a necessity like it is with most DA revolvers. (For me, anyway, because my crippled hand cannot pull a stock DA trigger—can't budge it.) I handled a used S&W Model 10 a while back, and I could pull that trigger. I don't think it had had a trigger job, but the Model 10 is famous for its great trigger. You know, one of those used police ones at Bud's for $269 is very tempting. Thinking about getting the square butt. It wouldn't be a carry gun. Just a night stand and range gun.

Bawanna
02-04-2012, 10:06 AM
I don't have first hand knowledge on the Roughrider either but many times gunsmiths won't touch some of the inexpensive knock offs. The trigger components and areas people normally want improved are too soft or made of inferior metal.
My dad had an old Hawes 22. Had steel sleeves in the pot metal cylinder. It was a good little gun and it shot well but there was no making it into a Ruger or a Colt. Just better stuff.

If your expectations aren't terribly high the knock offs will work fine.

MW surveyor
02-04-2012, 10:46 AM
JFootin - I sure hope that your j frame comes back with a much lighter trigger pull in DA than mine! Off again to get some good screwdrivers. My poor finger can't take any more :(

JimBianchi
02-04-2012, 01:52 PM
http://www.keltecweapons.com/uploaded_files/ourguns/gallery/b_15d179e7dd7ca525dc1c44dda16dcdf9PMR4.jpg
PMR-30
The PMR-30 is a light weight, full size pistol chambered for the flat-shooting .22Magnum cartridge (.22WMR). The PMR-30 operates on a unique hybrid blowback/locked-breech system. This operation system allows for the use of a wide variety of ammunition as it seamlessly adjusts between locked breach and blowback operation, depending on the pressure of the cartridge. It uses a double stack magazine of a new design that holds 30 rounds and fits completely in the grip of the pistol. The trigger is a crisp single action with an over-travel stop. The manual safety is a thumb activated ambidextrous safety lever (up for SAFE, down for FIRE). The slide locks back after the last shot and a manual slide lock lever is also provided. The light, crisp trigger pull and fiber optic sights make the PMR-30 ideal for target shooting and hunting small game.
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
Slide and barrel are 4140 steel, frame is 7075 aluminum. Grip, slide cover, trigger, mag release, and safety levers are glass reinforced Nylon (Zytel), much like other Kel-Tec Pistols. Magazine is Also Zytel and holds 30 rounds, with round count ports. Other features include: dual opposing extractors for reliability, heel magazine release to aid in magazine retention, dovetailed aluminum front sight, Picatinny accessory rail under the barrel, Urethane recoil buffer, captive coaxial recoil springs. PMR30 disassembles for cleaning by removal of a single pin.

I shot something similar to the PMR-30 call the Grendal P-30.

The muzzle flash was spectacular!

I hope this company fixed it's many problems.

Barth
02-04-2012, 04:34 PM
I shot something similar to the PMR-30 call the Grendal P-30.

The muzzle flash was spectacular!

I hope this company fixed it's many problems.

I'm not really interested in that gun.
I know there's some 22 mag revolvers.
But my 11.1 oz 38 matches up well with them.
Only 22 Mag I ever actually considered?
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p205/fuel_fire_desirels1/SANY0496-3.jpg

There is a version that acts like folding knife on a clip that I almost bought.
https://www.viking-armory.com/images/N/NAA22HGMFC_1.jpg

Interestingly Speer has produced a SD Short Barrel 22 mag round for this type of gun:
http://www.speer-ammo.com/products/954.htm
New - Gold Dot® Short Barrel® Personal Protection - 22 Win. Mag.
The newest addition to the Speer® Gold Dot Short Barrel line is the 40-grain .22 WMR hollow point.
If this is the personal defense chambering you prefer,
then this specialized new round is a must-have.
Optimized for use in 2-inch barrels, it's designed to provide less kick,
and will get reliable expansion.
Gold Dot ammunition is known for superb performance,
accuracy and reliability. No other ammunition offers such consistent high-performance.
Nickel-plated for reliable feeding and extraction,
this proven Short Barrel load is sure to perform.
http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/large/468/587309.jpg

CharlieW
02-04-2012, 06:03 PM
Well let's see -- maybe I can kill two birds with one post. I have both a PMR-30 and a Heritage Rough Rider and I am happy with both of them, but there are of course stories associated with each one.

The first Rough Rider I bought shot to the right and I realized that the front sight was rotated too far around on the barrel, so that one got traded. Later I found one with straight sights at a very good price and that pistol has turned out to be very accurate and fun.

I ordered a PMR-30 from the LGS almost two years ago. After a year, I had given up, but when one showed up I had the right of first refusal, and I took it. The pistol is a hoot. It is definitely loud and has a huge muzzle flash, but that is part of the fun. My particular pistol has been pretty accurate; I understand they are offering replacement barrels for keyholing, but I have not had that issue. My gun seems to like to run a little wet. With a 30 round mag, it doesn't take long for the gun to get dirty, and the components are pretty small, so it requires some attention to detail to clean it. All my buddies who have fired it seem to like it.

In both cases, I am satisfied with the pistols, but I am also aware that others have experienced problems with theirs. From my perspective it might be worth taking a chance with either of these 22 Magnums.

carkarrier
02-25-2012, 01:02 PM
Just a minor suggestion from a 22 mag. lover. I own two Hi Standard derringers, circa 1980s. They are EXTREMELY dependable and AWFULLY load. The flash itself at 3 to 6 feet from a BG with probably disorient or maybe momentarily blind him. I carry one in my pocket when I am not able to conceal any of my other pistols. They can still be found at gun shows for about $350(around here). That is if you want a derringer. I also have a Smith Mod. 51 , a Mossberg Chuckster and a Winchester lever action in 22 mag. Ammo is not cheap, but what ammo nowadays is. There is a good choice of rounds also for plinking and defense. Have fun looking!!!!!

jeepster09
02-25-2012, 01:33 PM
PMR-30
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

There is a reason no one else are making these.....
The Kel Tec's have been plagued with problems....like coming apart on you.
I would stay away from them. I could of bought a new one cheap a few weeks ago and passed on it. They were the greatest thing since sliced bread when they came out....after a fewexplosions the LUSTER has quickly faded.:eek:

MW surveyor
02-25-2012, 04:27 PM
If Kel Tec would have come out with a 22 lr version first and made sure that it would run well, it would have been a real fun gun.

wyntrout
02-26-2012, 11:55 PM
I picked up one of those at the last gun show... feels like ALL plastic.

Wynn:)

Scoundrel
08-19-2012, 12:17 AM
Hey, I'm tacking this onto this old thread because a few people on this thread posted about the Single-Six.

I was breaking down some boxes for recycling and ran across a card from Ruger offering a free guts replacement on the "old model" Single-Six, Blackhawk and the Bearcat. Apparently it's about preventing an AD due to the user failing to "take the basic safety precaution of keeping the hammer down on an empty chamber".

Basically, you send in the revolver, they re-work the innards, and send you back your remodeled revolver and the old innards in case you were keeping the revolver for collector's purposes.

Checking the Ruger website, I found info on this here:
http://www.ruger.com/safety/announcements.html?r=y

melissa5
08-19-2012, 08:35 AM
I've been very happy with my .22 mag NAA revolver. It's my deep conceal pocket gun at work. :D

ripley16
08-19-2012, 09:55 AM
I have one of these, a Colt Frontier Scout, with both cylinders. It has quite a nice action and trigger and the grips are nicer than standard plastic. This Colt is one of the very few revolvers in my safe.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff159/ky40601/Case%20Forum%20Postings/ColtFrontierScout6222Cal1965.jpg
pic borrowed from Photobucket

ltxi
08-19-2012, 02:36 PM
Hey, I'm tacking this onto this old thread because a few people on this thread posted about the Single-Six.

I was breaking down some boxes for recycling and ran across a card from Ruger offering a free guts replacement on the "old model" Single-Six, Blackhawk and the Bearcat. Apparently it's about preventing an AD due to the user failing to "take the basic safety precaution of keeping the hammer down on an empty chamber".

Basically, you send in the revolver, they re-work the innards, and send you back your remodeled revolver and the old innards in case you were keeping the revolver for collector's purposes.

Checking the Ruger website, I found info on this here:
http://www.ruger.com/safety/announcements.html?r=y

Yep, they did the same with the centerfires. Don't remember when exactly, but that would have started sometime in the early/mid '70's I believe.

JERRY
08-19-2012, 02:54 PM
Marlin model 25M bolt action, 7 shot detachable magazine .22 magnum rifle.

les strat
08-19-2012, 04:42 PM
A Ruger Single Six kit that comes with the .22LR and .22 mag cylinders you can switch out.

doc540
08-21-2012, 11:08 AM
better than a set of car keys in the fist

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/NAA%2022Mag/NAA22Mag002-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/NAA%2022Mag/NAA22Mag001-1.jpg