View Full Version : Diamondback Sucks

patgwashere
02-09-2012, 04:56 PM
I bought a diamondback db9 a few months ago.
at first the gun was pretty good except it would fail to eject last round.
This was for the first 300 or so rounds.
today I bought it to the range and the gun was FTF a lot.
Gun was very clean and no I was not limp wristing or gripping low.
I field stripped it and re oiled after first 5 jams but problem still existed
gun came with feed ramp polished already so this wont help.
Was using the same ammo I always used with this gun before Blazer Brass 115gr FMJ
I called diamondback and they said send us the gun and we will look at it.
I asked for them to pay shipping and they said we do not pay shipping on FTF guns. I have never had any other manufacturer tell me this. I have sent 3 guns back to different companys in my 30 years of shooting and never had to pay. This gun is only a couple months old and they want me to pay 50 bucks to send it back to them. Buyer beware diamondback
Reading forums online it seems this gun is a jammomatic and they must know this by now. Never will get any business from me and I will be posting about this crappy gun on every website I am a member on.

LaP
02-09-2012, 05:01 PM
As another nail in their coffin.....
They were huge supporters of Obama. The owner thought Obambam was "reasonable" when it comes to gun control, so he contributed a fairly large sum of money to his campaign.
I would consider any gun manufacturer pretty stupid to have believed that BS. Karma comes back to bite once again.

TriggerMan
02-09-2012, 05:07 PM
Was using the same ammo I always used with this gun before Blazer Brass 115gr FMJ
I asked for them to pay shipping and they said we do not pay shipping on FTF guns. I have never had any other manufacturer tell me this. I have sent 3 guns back to different companys in my 30 years of shooting and never had to pay. This gun is only a couple months old and they want me to pay 50 bucks to send it back to them. Buyer beware diamondback
Reading forums online it seems this gun is a jammomatic and they must know this by now. Never will get any business from me and I will be posting about this crappy gun on every website I am a member on.Will your dealer ship for you? Even if the dealer won't pay, he could pass thru his lower USPS shipping cost

patgwashere
02-09-2012, 06:18 PM
Will your dealer ship for you? Even if the dealer won't pay, he could pass thru his lower USPS shipping cost

bought it from buds guns online. their policy is once you accept gun you have to go through manufacturer for any returns. from what i am reading on other forums even if you do return gun to diamondback it will still come back a POS.
I guess I learned an expensive lesson. Hopefully this post will save others from wasting their money on these guns.

Bawanna
02-09-2012, 07:12 PM
bought it from buds guns online. their policy is once you accept gun you have to go through manufacturer for any returns. from what i am reading on other forums even if you do return gun to diamondback it will still come back a POS.
I guess I learned an expensive lesson. Hopefully this post will save others from wasting their money on these guns.

Any dealer could mail it for you cheaper than you can yourself.

My first thought was to hang it someplace obvious as a reminder of your bad mistake but I'd also be tempted to send it back and see if you get lucky.
Maybe if nothing else you'll cost them money so they have less to send obummer although he seems to have plenty already.

Scoundrel
02-09-2012, 09:55 PM
but... but... Jeff Quinn recommends it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvokdjuKM3k
http://www.gunblast.com/Diamondback-DB9.htm

Reading between the lines of the written review, and listening to him go on and on about the ammo you choose for it in the YouTube review, really sends it home though - the thing is picky about its ammo.

Maybe you need to go buy one box of each brand of ammo you like (the more expensive the better and stick with FMJ), and see what it likes.

Scoundrel
02-09-2012, 09:58 PM
My first thought was to hang it someplace obvious as a reminder of your bad mistake but I'd also be tempted to send it back and see if you get lucky.
Maybe if nothing else you'll cost them money so they have less to send obummer although he seems to have plenty already.

Heh. I have a butterfly valve from the carburetor of a POS dirt bike I bought even after the seller had trouble getting it to start for me. I drilled a hole in it and am using it as a key fob for my current bike to remind me not to pull idiot moves like that. Sometimes I do anyway...

My take on this is: "Let go" of the gun emotionally (a GREAT way to do this is to buy another one of a different brand/model that you like better), and just keep sending it back to them over and over until they fix it right. Sure, this is "throwing good money after bad" because you will have to pay for shipping, but I call it cheap entertainment, and you're also costing them money. maybe you can minimize your cost by sharing your plan with your local dealer, having a good laugh with them about it, and getting them to go along with the plan and let you use their cheap shipping.

Maybe after the 4th or 5th time, it will work reasonably well and you can sell it, or maybe they will offer you a refund.

Longitude Zero
02-10-2012, 06:40 AM
One thing you might want to try different ammo as some guns are finicky. I owned one for a very short period of time and realized what a POS it is, They stole several designs from Kahr and are now being sued because of it. I sold mine to a gunsmith who to this day cannot get it to shoot properly.

If you listen to the kool aid drinking wacko-nutjobs on the DB board you would think that the DB is manna from Heaven. Oh and talk with a grain of salt EVERYTHING Jeff the lickboot says.

Russ
02-10-2012, 07:20 AM
Reading forums online it seems this gun is a jammomatic and they must know this by now. Never will get any business from me and I will be posting about this crappy gun on every website I am a member on.

I am amazed anyone will pay shipping on a hand gun retailing for $300 - $450

I look back in my Kahr CM9 days (I am now a Nano owner) and I sent it back 3 times before Kahr refunded my money. I don't know what Kahr is paying for freight but if we aim low and guess $20 each way the freight alone in my case set Kahr back $100. That does not include the time spent trying to fix my x Kahr.

I paid $399 for my CM9. Most likely 25% of the retail cost was eaten by Kahr in freight. I am amazed any gun manufacturer can stay in business offering free freight on a gun retailing for under $500.

I paid $434 retail for my Nano and I shipped it freight pre paid to a Beretta contractor in California who without even touching the fun shipped it in to Beretta back east. Beretta shot 54 rounds of Black Hills that details for .70 each and shipped it back not to me but the contracted gun south in California who than shipped it to me in Utah.

Remember I paid $434 retail. How much profit for Beretta is in a $434 retail gun and then subtract that profit from what Beretta just paid in ammo and freight for my Nano repair. I bet what is left in profit equals gum money. Again I am completely amazed anyone will pay freight on a gun retailing under$500 . There just is not enough profit to make it possible to cover freight.

Russ

MLESa7990
02-10-2012, 07:30 AM
^^^^good point.

Scoundrel
02-10-2012, 11:05 AM
Again I am completely amazed anyone will pay freight on a gun retailing under$500 . There just is not enough profit to make it possible to cover freight.
Russ

Time for the bigger picture.

If the mfg makes 200,000 of these guns, and 500 of them come back for repairs, then how do the numbers work out?

It's called "customer service" and sometimes you have to eat a bit of the profit on a single sale to make your customer happy, so they'll keep buying your stuff - and more importantly, so that they'll tell other people you took good care of them.

skiflydive
02-10-2012, 11:11 AM

If the mfg makes 200,000 of these guns, and 500 of them come back for repairs, then how do the numbers work out?

It's called "customer service" and sometimes you have to eat a bit of the profit on a single sale to make your customer happy, so they'll keep buying your stuff - and more importantly, so that they'll tell other people you took good care of them.

Reminds me of the old industrial distribution mantra..."we lose money on everything we sell but we make up for it in volume."

kerby9mm
02-10-2012, 11:17 AM
There is profit added onto everything when it is built. Whatever % is added on as profit for the manufacturer and as costs go up for the manufacturer the increase is passed on to the consumer. As to the 200000 diamondbacks made and only 500 returned They WISH. It could have a return rate above 50% from what I have read on Dbacks.

Scoundrel
02-10-2012, 11:17 AM
There's another factor I forgot to mention as well:

When these guns come back for repairs, the mfg (if they are a good one) takes the opportunity to learn how they can improve their guns by looking at what went wrong. Then they can make better guns, and fewer come back on the next round. It's part of research and development. If they do it right, the number of returns diminish, and their good reputation grows. They just have to be careful not to rely on this too much.

Also, some gun MFGs do it wrong. Like Kel Tec and DiamondBack.

Scoundrel
02-10-2012, 11:19 AM
There is profit added onto everything when it is built. Whatever % is added on as profit for the manufacturer and as costs go up for the manufacturer the increase is passed on to the consumer. As to the 200000 diamondbacks made and only 500 returned They WISH. It could have a return rate above 50% from what I have read on Dbacks.

Obviously I don't have the real numbers, was just throwing that out there as an example of how it _should_ work. If they do it right.

kerby9mm
02-10-2012, 11:21 AM
If they are responsible of if sales drop off. Which one is reality?

kerby9mm
02-10-2012, 11:24 AM
Scoundrel. I know you were just speaking hypothetically. I was too.

Russ
02-10-2012, 07:09 PM

I would be interested in knowing what percentage of let's say Kahr 380 owners sent their gun back for repair? I bet the percentage is high.

Russ

Scoundrel
02-10-2012, 07:13 PM
I would be interested in knowing what percentage of let's say Kahr 380 owners sent their gun back for repair? I bet the percentage is high.

Russ

Ooh, now that's hitting below the belt! Comparing DB to Kahr? Ouch! But, that's a number I'd like to learn too.

Scoundrel
02-10-2012, 07:43 PM
I have a short little story featuring a DiamondBack pistol I'd like to share. I was killing some time waiting for the wife to get done with an appt I drove her to, so I decided to hit the pawn shops along the strip, and have a peek at their gun cases.

I spent a little more time in one shop because they had a little Polish Radom pistol that uses 9x18, and I thought my friend might be interested in it (he's into slavic guns), so I asked them to take it out of the case so I could take a picture with my phone and send it to my friend.

While this was going on, I overheard an interaction at the counter. A guy came in, briefly looked at the guns in the case, and then asked the guy behind the counter whether they'd be interested in a trade-in. Being a nosy bastard, I took my time inspecting the Radom and listened in. The guy wanted the cheapest gun in their case (which was a crusty old .32 revolver that looked like someone inherited it from grandpa), plus whatever cash they'd give him for his pistol. They made what I thought was a ridiculously low offer ($100 and no gun in trade), which he refused.

I finished up with the Radom and walked out at the same time as the other guy, and asked him what kind of pistol he was wanting to unload. He said it was a DiamondBack. My response was "Sweet. Have a good one!"

Even in my limited exposure to gun makes/models, I'd already heard about those DBs.

Now, just to tie up the loose ends, I want to make it perfectly clear that my "something's fishy" alarm had already been ringing full gong for several minutes, and if the pistol had been one that I was interested in, I would have insisted on running it by the local law enforcement database to make sure it didn't have any red flags on it. I was mainly just curious for knowledge: What kind of gun was it that the pawn shop was bending him over so hard for?