PDA

View Full Version : Sales of Firearms

Vinikahr
02-01-2010, 02:53 PM
I have notice lately, that people are selling almost like new firearms only with weeks of buying, I am not hating, but just a merely observation in many forums. I know times are hard for some folks, but it would beneficial to rationale any purchases on impulse, because you lose money twice, once when you buy it at premiums(most people do) and second when you sell it for a discount( again most people do). :behindsofa:. I have sold firearms because I wanted to reduce my inventory, and not out desperation and every-time, I have been able to sell at asking price. No rant here just making conversation. Whatever reason for selling your firearms are only your own and no judging of my part. But for God sake think about the future before you commit to buy anything. Don't fall for the hype!:eek:

jwr
02-01-2010, 03:52 PM
I haven't done it lately but I know in the past sometimes I don't really know if I'm going to connect with a firearm until I've fired several hundred rounds through it. By then I'm usually pretty sure one way or the other if it's a keeper or not. If I decide it's not a keeper then I'll sell it as quickly as I can, take the loss, and invest in something else. I like that idea better than having more stuff sitting around that I won't use.

One thing that scares me about this trend though, is sometimes someone will get a problem gun that has multiple failures out of the box. Instead of going through the hassle and expense of working with the manufacturer they may just sell it, and sometimes they *don't* disclose all the problems they've been having. This is one of the reasons I try to buy new or from someone I trust.

Vinikahr
02-01-2010, 04:01 PM
[QUOTE]I haven't done it lately but I know in the past sometimes I don't really know if I'm going to connect with a firearm until I've fired several hundred rounds through it. By then I'm usually pretty sure one way or the other if it's a keeper or not. If I decide it's not a keeper then I'll sell it as quickly as I can, take the loss, and invest in something else. I like that idea better than having more stuff sitting around that I won't use.

It happens. Sometimes it is necessary to get rid of things that you do not use. I have been know to give things away just to get rid of them.

One thing that scares me about this trend though, is sometimes someone will get a problem gun that has multiple failures out of the box. Instead of going through the hassle and expense of working with the manufacturer they may just sell it, and sometimes they *don't* disclose all the problems they've been having. This is one of the reasons I try to buy new or from someone I trust.

I like to buy things new so that way if some thing goes wrong(like sometimes happen) I am cover. Better be safe than sorry.

jeep45238
02-01-2010, 04:19 PM
I'm known to move guns quite often, sometimes only keeping ownership for a matter of months. Usually it's resulting of me trying a new gun, liking it, running it hard, and finding another model that I feel may work better for me. Occasionally I do it when I have no other option to pay the bills. I rarely take a loss, though I almost always break even.

So far, the 1911 and Ruger Mark 3 have stood the test of time. I sold a CW40 that I did a fair amount of work on, including internal polishing and planned stippling - to fund a Kahr T40.

With the subtle reworking on the grips that I'm doing, it's feeling better and better (only downside is a trigger pull to remove the slide). I've got a feeling this one will stand the test of time, unless I find a good deal on a T9 - and I'll swap grips and sell the T40 to go along with the M&P 9mm Pro I'm hunting for :D

Ryder
02-08-2010, 03:33 PM
this trend is not only limited to guns but to other items as well. I think alot of people will buy a gun, motorcylce or whatever with the idea that it is a real popular item and that they may be able to make a little profit from it. On the other hand, as has already been stated, sometimes we buy items, that even though we thought they were a good fit, that turned out not to be true., so the best thing is to get rid of it and find what is the best fit. Just my two cents. :D

In-Yo-Grill
02-08-2010, 03:44 PM
I'm getting better about not being too attached to too many of my guns. Of course there are certain ones that I will never sell and then there are some that I wanted to try. If I like them enough then they go on the "pass down" list. Others go to market to make money for new things to try.

medezyner
02-08-2010, 08:09 PM
I find myself selling just to upgrade. I wouldnt dump a problem gun on someone and never have. Guess I've been fortunate not to get a lemon. Got rid of my 38sp wheel gun b/c the wife couldnt shoot it for sh**. I could shoot it fine, but I knew it would sit in the safe for the next 20 years without as much as a quick fondle...poor thing.

johnh
02-09-2010, 11:52 AM
I am in a slump. Not too many new things interesting me so I am buying ammo and such. I want to spend more time this year shooting what I have. My son is ready to shoot real guns now, so I will be taking him to the range regularly. I am really looking forward to that!

:D

John

wyntrout
02-09-2010, 12:09 PM
Sometimes there are shavings and such in the gun's working parts. I've had at least 2 S&W revolvers that had metal shavings in them that prevented reliable operation and even locked up the cylinder at times. I think that happens too often and people just get rid of the gun.:rolleyes:
Wynn

Bigcube
02-09-2010, 06:30 PM
I'm in that boat that finds out it was not all that cracked up to be and got rid of some quickly. The peoples republic of NY think that if you own more that 5 handguns you have a problem. Best to get rid of the ones that don't interest you and try something else. I've swapped a S&W 686 4" 357 mag, a Phoenix HP22, a Glock 19, a Walther p22 and finally a Taurus PT-99 AFD. I have to admit, the tourtsie was the hardest to trade, I had it for 10 years and was my first semi auto. The other ones ranged for 6 months to 2 years.