PDA

View Full Version : People's opinion of Kahr Customer/Gun Repair Service

alkaspeltzar
02-13-2012, 09:26 AM
I have a PM9 with nose diving issues. I have my third replacement technically with the P380 for ever reason under the sun. The P380 is good now, but ammo picky!

I have a friend and brother with many growing pains too reguarding their PM9's and FTE.

I will give Kahr credit that they have a great response team and are willing to send the gun in for a look. But I wonder what their repair team is doing, do they test fire these things?

Lately, everytime I get either of mine back, it is the same or something else is wrong. I am not trying to rip Kahr, I like their product, I just expect it to be fixed after time and time again. These are carry guns, forget 100% accuracy. I need it to be 98% accurate and 100% reliable. I think they need to come up with some hardcore solutions more than polishing feed ramps and such. No one else products have given myself or others this many issues repeadly.

Maybe I am just over reacting, please chime in

knkali
02-13-2012, 09:48 AM
I have a PM9 with nose diving issues. I have my third replacement technically with the P380 for ever reason under the sun. The P380 is good now, but ammo picky!

I have a friend and brother with many growing pains too reguarding their PM9's and FTE.

I will give Kahr credit that they have a great response team and are willing to send the gun in for a look. But I wonder what their repair team is doing, do they test fire these things?

Lately, everytime I get either of mine back, it is the same or something else is wrong. I am not trying to rip Kahr, I like their product, I just expect it to be fixed after time and time again. These are carry guns, forget 100% accuracy. I need it to be 98% accurate and 100% reliable. I think they need to come up with some hardcore solutions more than polishing feed ramps and such. No one else products have given myself or others this many issues repeadly.

I think kahr is a great gun for concealment. However, I do feel that they require more owner input than other brands. Just when I think my P40 is under control something happens that gives me pause. I think I have really sorted out my gun by now though. I have found that the break in period is double to triple what Kahr says it is. I think the sticky thread here of prepping your Kahr before shooting is important. I think the recoil spring needs replacemnt every 1000 rnds and these (at least mine) like to be run very wet. Finally, after 150 rnds on a days shooting, plan on cleaning and lubing before continuing your shoot to avoid hiccups. I also feel that these guns are not range guns so all the above care is not a big deal because they are not shot a lot. I train with my carry gun so I do shoot it a lot and have found that I need to be on top of the care and feeding of this gun more than my others. This is only my opinion and nothing more.

OldLincoln
02-13-2012, 10:20 AM
I'm sure Kahr would love to fix your gun the first time. They have the same problem any service industry has in duplicating and diagnosing the problem. I also wish they had your ammo and could shoot it until it fails. I suspect most often they don't get a good diagnosis and try all the stuff they know.

Having said that, I would hope they figure it out as too many people have the problem you have with repair. One thing though, I'd hope everybody tries a super lube (wet) in all the right places and shooting high power ammo before sending it back, even something in a +P. Won't fix anything but may help diagnose it.

Bill K
02-13-2012, 10:29 AM
I'm sure Kahr would love to fix your gun the first time. They have the same problem any service industry has in duplicating and diagnosing the problem. I also wish they had your ammo and could shoot it until it fails. I suspect most often they don't get a good diagnosis and try all the stuff they know.

Having said that, I would hope they figure it out as too many people have the problem you have with repair. One thing though, I'd hope everybody tries a super lube (wet) in all the right places and shooting high power ammo before sending it back, even something in a +P. Won't fix anything but may help diagnose it.

Interesting point about the ammo. I was surprised at how easy with my PM9 it was to see the brass toss distance difference shooting Black Hills 115 EXP along with their 124 +P ammo. The +P brass flew notably further. Thankfully though I had no issues with either loads.

jocko
02-13-2012, 10:47 AM

ur magazines to be sure the mag springs arein correctly. eliminate that possability, nose diving at what round in the magazine??? Did u read the kahr tech secrtion and hit on the kahr lubechart? and hit on the propper prepping of ur kahr, there is a section there dealing with checking the magazinbe follower to see if it iscatching on the magazine release button at round 2/3. . Sure sound slike mag isues to me, check to see if the recoul spring outer one is on correectly also, with open end towards the front of the slide. I would do as some suggested to, try a bos of +P defense ammo to see if that helps any. Also very good to let another good shooter try the gun to see ifhe can duplicate ur issues. before sendind it back to kahr, u need to elimiante all the possabilitys. Kahr can fix it IF SOMETHING is wrong..

alkaspeltzar
02-13-2012, 11:21 AM
Kahr has told me they run Remington UNC, Federal or American Eagle FMJ at the repair facilty.....either way my PM9 wont shoot it.

I have had other duplicate the problem. I have also modified the magazine follower...all still cause nose dives at ANY position in the magazine, not always 2-3 shot.

I agree, it can be hard to diagnose issues sometimes. Just this gun has been out there now for a few years, you wouldnt think it would need tuning.

Like buying a car year one, I can expect a recall or TSB. But not the last year of production,

jocko
02-13-2012, 11:29 AM
ur guin needs to go back, no big deal, kahr will get it right, ur on ur 4th post and u seem top have tagged kahrs are problematic, which they certanly are not expecially the PM9. This is a gun forum where people with issues will come and post where people without issues normaly do not. It is what it is. U got a good gun but if you want to hammer it , then it isnot the only gun out there, peddle it after u get it back and buy one that works and never gives issues. My bet is that once u get it back and u again shoot it, u will put behind u all the negative thoughts and snuggle up to one of the best small pocket guns out there. cALL KAHR AND have them \send u a pre paid pick up and document in writng all that is going on with thegun and what u hve shot out of it etc.

kahrseye
02-13-2012, 12:19 PM
When I broke in my PM9 and PM45 I took 200 rounds of Winchester White box and shot them all through in one visit per gun. Not sure what's expected from a range gun that would be different than that but it satisfies my requirements. I've not had any issues with any of my guns except my PM45 which had the trigger bar replaced. And that was due to a friend thinking he could fire followup shots without allowing the trigger to reset (he screwed it up). I think it's important to realize not all Kahrs have problems and would say the majority don't.

muggsy
02-13-2012, 01:14 PM
If I didn't like Kahr's service I wouldn't buy their guns.

jocko
02-13-2012, 01:33 PM
if one buys a gun and never has an issue, he is pleased. If one buys a gun and has an issue and it is addressed by the maker and all is well, then he is still pleased. Bad service is what looses customers. sometimes good servicve brings back that same customer as he now knows if he has an issue it wil lbe addressed.

Why is it that some car dealers are known to have excellent service and that brings in customers who have been recommended by those who have had to have service. Normally alot of car service is "issue' related stuff and people don't get bent all out of shape when they have car issues , like we see on some of these gun forums.

knkali
02-13-2012, 02:08 PM
Dif is a car doesnt have the burden of saving someone's life when it is needed. Also the performance envelope for a gun is much simpler. Pull trigger and it goes bang. A car had many perfornance expectations.

jocko
02-13-2012, 02:21 PM
indeed different but basically still the same. People don't buy a car to expect issues but it happens. The saving of ones life would have some bearing in cars also, no bang thing needed though.

No gun maker yet has produced an issue less gun, that just is not gonna happen. my point earlier was good warranty service goes a long way to keep a good taste in ones mouth.....

knkali
02-13-2012, 03:03 PM
indeed different but basically still the same. People don't buy a car to expect issues but it happens. The saving of ones life would have some bearing in cars also, no bang thing needed though.

No gun maker yet has produced an issue less gun, that just is not gonna happen. my point earlier was good warranty service goes a long way to keep a good taste in ones mouth.....

I do agree that good service is a great thing to have.

alkaspeltzar
02-13-2012, 03:09 PM
Jocko, I 100% agree with you. Like I said earlier, I am not here to bash anyone. But I am asking because this is concerning to me.

I'm saying is that I have sent it in and it is not being corrected, frustrating really since I would expect better, and seeing other issues is more concering. I am not talking about this post, but at the range, people look and go, "Kahr huh?, I sold mine for blah blah blah reasons.."

Every gun has had issues I have owned, from shotguns to pellet guns if you use them enough. The difference is getting the fix.

What do I need to do to get high enough in Kahr to get the appropriate fix?

Questions are like why my P380 can shoot Korean PMC not WWB when PMC is not an American ammo recommended by Kahr.

or

Questions like why does my extend clip in my PM9 hang the rounds. Kahrs answer is my hand is touching it and putting pressure on it. I thought that was the idea of the extended mag.

At the end of the day, I am not mad, but I do want to guns to be correct.

knkali
02-13-2012, 03:39 PM
There is no doubt about it. Kahr has a rep problem out there. I hear the same thing ....Kahr.....Oh they have problems. I also hear it about a couple of other brands too but it always seem to be these same brands which Kahr is included in.

jocko
02-13-2012, 03:41 PM
evidently I dsid not rea dyour post good enough. I missed where ur PM9 had to go back once. Personally I would **** can the extended magazine. they have been know to give some feeding issues. why that is is debateable. For me if u buy a PM9 u want cncealment, so **** ca the extended magazine. If u need that extra round IMO one should have bought the cw9 with then a flush fit 7 round magazine. They give no issues Soem people have no issues witht eh extended magazine, but it sticking out that extra inch is doing something that is giving some owners fits.

As to the P380 shooting WWB if that is the blunt nose round, I ersonaly would not shoot that ammo, PMC is good ammo foreign or otherwise.tended If the extended round magazine is ur only issue with the M9 then my advice is to not use it and get another flush fit magazine. I hav eused mine about twice in 5 years, I hated the looks of it. I think it worked OK but again I could care less. I bopught it for concealment and that extended magaziune is worthless in my front pocket and if u use it for range use and theng o back tothe flush fit magazine, u will shoot differetly as u now have less grip to get ur hand around..
sorry I missed the PM9 going back,not sure what it was for either as u never stated...

I could really care less when another person states they sold their kahr etc, as we don't know that for sure let along know why. I have 3 kahrs one used K9 that is flawless, one PM9 bought new 5 years ago that is flawless, one P380 thathas had togo backonce and sicne has been OK but I have not put much range time back into it since getting it back either. I never carry it but I can tell u I wll not shoot WWB flat nose 380 ammo in it. I just do not trust that round in my P380...

I do not put the issues te P3809 has had i the same league a sthe bigger kahrs. The PM9 is well proven, not to say u don't have a lemon kbut I sure wouldnot grou-p PM9 in the same league as what u have either..

Sap
02-13-2012, 07:11 PM
I had an issue with my brand new K9. The extractor was way out of spec. They sent me a whole new extractor assembly and it's gtg. K9 eats all kinds of ammo now. Prior to my K9 I had aP9 that ran great.

CJB
02-13-2012, 07:44 PM
What people think... who cares. Kahr took care of me, the pistols work well for me, and I'm satisfied with the performance of the product.

knkali
02-13-2012, 09:29 PM
Listen to Jocko and CJB. I hear **** about Kahr all the time, but their customer service has be en great for me and sounds like they are working hard to keep you happy too. The gun runs but wont eat a particular ammo and the extd mag doesnt feed right? Buy the ammo it likes and run the hell out of it with the standard mag and start enjoyng that machine.

I just cleaned mine and was admiring the look of the gun. Clean, functional, nothing fancy design. In short, its a ******* gun. Man, that sounds wierd.

CJB
02-13-2012, 09:58 PM
Said before, will say again... there are some pistols that are not suited to some shooters. Not everyone can shoot a 1911 well, or a compact 1911. Not everyone is a Browning HP person. Colt Mustang/SigP238 come to mind as being finicky. The Walther PPK had a lot of folks fooled... Manurhin, German, or Alexandria... the PP/PPK/PPK-s had some shooters thinking the Walther quality was out the door.

What I'm saying is... there are folks that will have problems, not due to their direct fault, or the pistols. Its a matter of.... bad chemistry I suppose. That unstated "something" were the two just cannot get along well. I've seen that happen time and again while training folks to shoot. I'm sure other trainers and coaches have seen the same.

So, nothing bad on Kahr, or some shooters, but there will be a certain percentage of folks who will have some issues - no matter what you do. Call it "incompatible design for the shooter"... whatever... thats the way it is.

OldLincoln
02-13-2012, 10:16 PM
Walll I don't ****** care what ***/** does on his ***** wedding ****** PM***** anyway. ***** doesn't ****** eloads ****** Kindle ******* yesterday. So ******!

JFootin
02-14-2012, 06:51 AM
Walll I don't ****** care what ***/** does on his ***** wedding ****** PM***** anyway. ***** doesn't ****** eloads ****** Kindle ******* yesterday. So ******!

OldBuddy, are you alright? You haven't blown a fuse, have you? :19:

OldLincoln
02-14-2012, 03:56 PM
No I'm fine. Just wanted to chime into the discussion and since others were speaking ***** I thought I'd offer my opinion. Of course I normally speak ---- as that's much more acceptable around the wife and family.

knkali
02-14-2012, 08:40 PM
I said my gun is B i t ch ' n