PDA

View Full Version : New CW9 & a happy Story

Bob Landry
02-03-2010, 07:00 PM
Bought a new CW9 today and it was a great experience. I was at Dave Dawson's place yesterday buying some parts for a Para that I've been working on. I asked to look at the CW9 because I saw on Dave's website that he picked that model up. I almost bought it but decided I needed to run it by the General first.
The pars weren't what I needed so I headed back to Dave's today and all the way there(about 40 miles) I was thinking about the Kahr. I returned the parts and said, "I'll take the CW9 I looked at yesterday. Dave came out and did the paperwork himself, we chatted a bit then I left. Shortly after leaving Dave's shop, I started doing touchy feely so I racked it, dry fired it, and racked it again. The slide wouldn't go intobattery. I pulled over, messed with it a little bit then decided to turn around and go back to Dawson's. I walked in and told the lady I had a problem and needed to see Dave. He came out and when I told him I thought I had a problem, he said, "Noyou don't, you're goingto get another gun". He boxed up the problem child, got another, changed my invoice to show the new serial number and said, "Call me if you need anything". I've been doing business with Dave Dawson for a while, and what can I say.. How can you not enjoy dealing with guys like that? I guess there's a reason he's the top STI distributer in the country. I could have bought the gun a little cheaper in Austin, but how can you put a price on customer service like that. I hope I'm going to enjoy this gun.

jfrey
02-03-2010, 07:14 PM
Good luck on your new purchase. If your CW9 is as good as mine, you will be completely satisfied.

mr surveyor
02-03-2010, 07:57 PM
where is Dave Dawson's shop?

Vinikahr
02-03-2010, 08:55 PM
Welcome to the Club.

Glad to hear that the are still people that go above and beyond for their customers.

http://ingunowners.com/forums/avatars/handk49031.gif?type=sigpic&dateline=1237843354

jocko
02-04-2010, 01:57 AM
Bought a new CW9 today and it was a great experience. I was at Dave Dawson's place yesterday buying some parts for a Para that I've been working on. I asked to look at the CW9 because I saw on Dave's website that he picked that model up. I almost bought it but decided I needed to run it by the General first.
The pars weren't what I needed so I headed back to Dave's today and all the way there(about 40 miles) I was thinking about the Kahr. I returned the parts and said, "I'll take the CW9 I looked at yesterday. Dave came out and did the paperwork himself, we chatted a bit then I left. Shortly after leaving Dave's shop, I started doing touchy feely so I racked it, dry fired it, and racked it again. The slide wouldn't go intobattery. I pulled over, messed with it a little bit then decided to turn around and go back to Dawson's. I walked in and told the lady I had a problem and needed to see Dave. He came out and when I told him I thought I had a problem, he said, "Noyou don't, you're goingto get another gun". He boxed up the problem child, got another, changed my invoice to show the new serial number and said, "Call me if you need anything". I've been doing business with Dave Dawson for a while, and what can I say.. How can you not enjoy dealing with guys like that? I guess there's a reason he's the top STI distributer in the country. I could have bought the gun a little cheaper in Austin, but how can you put a price on customer service like that. I hope I'm going to enjoy this gun.

but 50 rounds down range and your original gun would have been perfect. You didn't cleanit, lube it or give it one round to do what it should He stilldid you right but there was nothing wrong with your cw in the first place..

recoilguy
02-04-2010, 07:25 AM
Welcome! enjoy!

RCG

getsome
02-04-2010, 10:35 AM
Welcome Bob Landry, Glad you found Kahrtalk...Wow this site is really taking off with new members joining every day....Congrats on your new pistol and glad its working out so well for you...good luck and post away!!!:cool:

Bob Landry
02-04-2010, 05:49 PM
but 50 rounds down range and your original gun would have been perfect. You didn't cleanit, lube it or give it one round to do what it should He stilldid you right but there was nothing wrong with your cw in the first place..

I beg to differ. The slide would not go into battery.
period. Dave looked at it and he couldn't get it there either so he just replaced it. I'm going to trust his judgement since I was standing there when he looked at it..

Bob Landry
02-04-2010, 05:51 PM
where is Dave Dawson's shop?

He's located close to Florence. It's a little north of Georgetown in Williamson County.. Aprox 40 miles from Austin..

Bob Landry
02-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Took it to the range today for it's first test drive. I'm impressed. It doesn't have the accuracy or rather I should say I don't have the accuracy because of the short sight radius and it doesn't have a 1911 trigger, but all in all, it shoots pretty decent groups offhand, certainly well enough to carry IWB, which is why I bought it to begin with. It was also reliable with my reloads. I thought I was going tohave a problem warming up to the long trigger pull, but after a few rounds, it felt much better than any of the Glocks I had. I showed it to the wife, and after she shoots it, she may want it. I'm glad they're only $400. If she wants it, I'll trade it to her for her STI Guardian .45. ;)

Bob Landry
02-06-2010, 02:57 PM
I can live with the trigger as is if I have to, but if I had my druthers, I'd really like to have less take-up and a cleaner break. Yeah, I know it ain't no 1911.. Can that be done to the Kahrs. This is my first one and I'm still on the learning curve.

Where is a good source for Kahr mags that won't break the bank?

300WSM
02-06-2010, 03:13 PM
I know Top Gun Supply has mags.

Vincent
02-07-2010, 04:22 PM
I can live with the trigger as is if I have to, but if I had my druthers, I'd really like to have less take-up and a cleaner break. Yeah, I know it ain't no 1911.. Can that be done to the Kahrs. This is my first one and I'm still on the learning curve.

The trigger is supposed to mimic a VERY smooth DA revolver. There is no "take up" in the normal sense. Give it some time, practice with it and you will come to see the wisdom of this design. Mine is more accurate than my 225 SIG and equal to my 239 SIG! That is a high praise in anybody's book. As far as I know only Kahr makes Kahr mags.

wyntrout
02-07-2010, 04:36 PM

Cheaper Than Dirt has decent prices on the mags if they have them. I've bought them several times in the last month under $30 each.( 9mm .380 & .45)
Wynn:D

Well, the Saints just won... the toss!

jwr
02-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Took it to the range today for it's first test drive. I'm impressed. It doesn't have the accuracy or rather I should say I don't have the accuracy because of the short sight radius and it doesn't have a 1911 trigger,
My other pistols are SA as well--even my little pocket pistol. The CW9 has an extremely long trigger pull in comparison and I don't think there's anything you can do (or should do) to make it otherwise. If you could turn it into a very short crisp pull like your 1911's then you wouldn't want to carry it loaded.

To get an idea of the true accuracy try shooting from a bench and taking your time. I think you'll find that they're very accurate. It's just tough to train our single action fingers to be patient enough to pull a double action trigger :D It took me about 100-150 rounds before I really started getting the feel for it and it's still not natural to me. But I think it's just right for what the gun is designed for.

BTW, my CW9 trigger breaks more cleanly than any of my other guns. There no stacking or resistance before it goes off. In fact I had a hard time with that at first because with most of my guns I can feel the point just *before* it releases. Not so with the Kahr. Very smooth all the way through.

smokey
02-15-2010, 12:05 PM
Yeah, we just bought a CW9 for the wife and she doesn't like the long pull of the trigger either so it all comes down to practice. Might trade it for something she can shoot better . . . After she put a thousand rounds through it! LOL! It shot fine for me so we know it isn't the pistol, again PRACTICE!!!!!! Good to see someone else post on the trigger.