View Full Version : Hornady Conversion Kit

Bawanna
02-20-2012, 05:53 PM
A year or so ago I got a Hornady Lok and Load progressive reloading press. It has quick change bushings to screw your dies into so once they are set you can remove or replace without losing the adjustment.

I discovered that they make a Lok and Load conversion kit for single stage press's. I finally got around to ordering one last week and tried it for the first time today.

It's totally the cats backside. I know you can set the lock ring on a die but I never seem to trust that my setting hasn't changed so usually start from scratch with the adjustments.

This is very positive.

You do have to remove the insert in the press that the die normally screws into. I read horror stories of them being impossible to get out but I got lucky, a pair of channel locks removed it quite easily. Some said they had to get impact wrenches and square sockets to break em loose.

Any how two thumbs up on the Hornady conversion unit. Wish I'd done it long long ago.

Micha2u
02-20-2012, 07:26 PM
I was actually looking at my latest Cabela's Shooting catalog and thinking of getting this but could not make up my mind. I wanted to talk to someone that had installed the conversion kit and couldn't find a buddy of mine that had purchased and installed this.

Thanks for the feedback! I think I am going to move ahead on this as an additional winter reloading upgrade project.

Bawanna
02-20-2012, 08:22 PM
I was actually looking at my latest Cabela's Shooting catalog and thinking of getting this but could not make up my mind. I wanted to talk to someone that had installed the conversion kit and couldn't find a buddy of mine that had purchased and installed this.

Thanks for the feedback! I think I am going to move ahead on this as an additional winter reloading upgrade project.

You can get it as a kit, with the adapter for the press and I think 3 bushings that your die screws into. They were out of that at Midway but I bought a 10 pack of bushing with my progressive press so I had plenty and just got the adapter alone.

For a single stage where your changing to different dies its a great advantage.

You'll want a bushing on every die you reload.

czgunner
02-28-2012, 07:24 PM
I've had this on my single stage press for the last few years.
I love it!

mr surveyor
02-28-2012, 07:35 PM
Since I'm still reloading on the small scale, and trying to keep everything very compact, I recently bought the Lee Hand Press with the quick change bushings. It's no different fundamentally from most single stage bench mount presses. It took me all of 20-30 minutes to set up my four .357 mag carbide dies the first time for my needs by working with a couple of unprimed cases and a couple of reusable projectiles. Smooth, trouble free die swaps.

Gotta love those quick lock bushings, no matter who made 'em.

surv

noylj
03-09-2012, 09:23 PM
It's the only thing that makes an RCBS RockCrusher worth keeping around...
PS: Lee dies are inexpensive. Buy a set for each press and forget adjusting anything but the seating stem ever again.