PDA

View Full Version : K9 Magazine Question

LilRicky
02-04-2010, 07:28 PM
Iv' recently purchased a K9 pistol, lightly used, and noticed that only one of the two original magazines will fall free of the pistol when empty. I've purchased two additional 7 round Kahr magazines, and neither of those will fall free of the gun. There are no wear marks on the magazines that would indicate a high spot, nothing in the magazine well that is dragging on the magazines, and all of them will go into the pistol freely.

Is this about normal for Kahr pistols?

Vinikahr
02-04-2010, 09:33 PM
Iv' recently purchased a K9 pistol, lightly used, and noticed that only one of the two original magazines will fall free of the pistol when empty. I've purchased two additional 7 round Kahr magazines, and neither of those will fall free of the gun. There are no wear marks on the magazines that would indicate a high spot, nothing in the magazine well that is dragging on the magazines, and all of them will go into the pistol freely.

Is this about normal for Kahr pistols?

See below me
V
V
V
V
V
V
V

jeep45238
02-04-2010, 09:45 PM
No.

Slightly loosen your grip screws. Just slightly, and one at a time starting with the bottom screws.

If you want proof that its the screws causing the dragging, color your magazine with a sharpie and insert it and pull it out. You'll see a line where the sharpie was removed from rubbing the ends of the screws.

Easily removed with rubbing alcohol if you're worried about it :)

Vinikahr
02-04-2010, 09:53 PM
No.

Slightly loosen your grip screws. Just slightly, and one at a time starting with the bottom screws.

If you want proof that its the screws causing the dragging, color your magazine with a sharpie and insert it and pull it out. You'll see a line where the sharpie was removed from rubbing the ends of the screws.

Easily removed with rubbing alcohol if you're worried about it :)

You for sure know your metal guns!

jeep45238
02-04-2010, 09:58 PM
I do - Prussian blue's pretty nice to see where interferences are ;)

With the Kahr design there's nothing but the compressible grip panel (wood or rubber) to keep the screw from protruding into the magwell. When you feel that it's tight, that's when the grip panels are offering resistance to the screw head and you feel it being 'snug'. Tightening the panels too much is a common problem on guns that do not have a bushing to resist directly against the bottom of the screw head. Look at how many CZ82's have loose grip pannels because of people over tightening the grip screws ;)

Slightly back off the screws that are dragging. This will work fine and the panels will not loosen while firing.

LilRicky
02-05-2010, 11:08 PM
Thanks for that good advice!

40Kahr
02-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Speaking of the grip screws, mine are rusting due to carrying IWB during summer months. I have asked Kahr for stainless screws but they sent me the original---same thing happens. Solution?

Phantom
02-13-2010, 04:03 AM
Take one of your existing grip screws to a good industrial supply or industrial fastener store. They will be able to get you the screws you need.

jeep45238
02-13-2010, 10:25 AM
Get a set of stainless steel 1911 grip screws. They fit perfectly and the head dia is the same size. I'm also much more of a fan of allen fasteners vs. slotted - screw doesn't get goobered up from wrong tool selection, and they don't slip out and damage the grips.

I haven't tested for length, but that's an easy fix with sand paper or a stone. They usually run about 6 bucks for 4 screws.

jocko
02-13-2010, 11:56 AM
Get a set of stainless steel 1911 grip screws. They fit perfectly and the head dia is the same size. I'm also much more of a fan of allen fasteners vs. slotted - screw doesn't get goobered up from wrong tool selection, and they don't slip out and damage the grips.

I haven't tested for length, but that's an easy fix with sand paper or a stone. They usually run about 6 bucks for 4 screws.

about 1911 stainless screws. Makes sense that kahr would keept hat same thread size and I would not be surprised to see tha tthose screws also need no shortening. I like the torx or allen head over the sloted grip screws any day.

Kahr should offer them as an accessory or put them in witht he wood grips and just add a coup,le of bucks more, :7:

jeep45238
02-13-2010, 10:14 PM
Keep in mind it's easier to make an allen screw tighter than a stotted - don't over tighten it.

Bawanna
02-17-2010, 07:53 PM
Words to live by my friend. I've cried my eyes out when guys hand me back the shiney new grips I just made cracked big time by an over zealous bull in a china closet with an allen wrench. They do look nice and they don't bugger up like a slot screw removed by the same guys mentioned above. I've been using really small rubber O rings sometimes like Para puts on their guns. The rubber seems to keep them from backing out, course you can still over tighten.:31:

Steve-$
02-19-2010, 06:47 PM
I have been using the Low Strength Loctite 222MS on the grip screws.
Works pretty well and makes for easy disassembly if you don't put too much on the threads.
I will have to give the O-ring method a try.