PDA

View Full Version : Who all bought a SR1911?

Ken_K
02-22-2012, 11:16 AM
How many of you have managed to find and buy a SR1911? I lucked out and picked mine up last May at a gun show in Houston. So far it seems to be one heck of a 1911 for the price. I had been wanting a nice American made 1911 for awhile when the Ruger caught my eye. I know it's not some new ground breaking revolutionary design concept that no other 1911 gun maker has, but I think it's on par with pistols costing quite a bit more. It's for sure a gun that I will NEVER sell.

Bawanna
02-22-2012, 11:55 AM
I finally got to see one and handle it just last week. Another local guy found it in Alaska of all places. Knew I wanted one badly so he brought it by for show and tell. It's a great gun and like you say it'll undoubtedly run with the much more expensive flavors out there.
They had one more up in Alaska but I didn't order it YET. Every shop around here has a waiting list and nobody seems to be getting any in yet.

My day will come. The trigger on the one I held was really really good. Not sure if that is the norm or they are all good. I held it side by side with a Colt Gunsite special that he said was around 1500 and the Ruger didn't lack for anything and had a better trigger at least to my finger that is.

Good for you getting one.

Ken_K
02-22-2012, 01:22 PM
I've been seeing a lot of price gouging with these guns. My friend has been looking for one and all he
can find are people asking $100 over MSRP! I personally wouldn't pay more than $700 otd for one. Not because I think they aren't worth it, but because I know what they are supposed to be going for. The trigger on mine was really nice, but I wanted it perfect so I had my local smith do a trigger job. It breaks like a glass rod now :). Btw, the mim fire control parts that are in the gun work fine with a trigger job. My smith was slightly concerned using the mim parts but afterwards he said they are actually very high quality pieces. I was happy because I didn't have to spend an extra $140 on cylinder and slide parts.

Springer
02-22-2012, 04:08 PM
I picked one up a couple weeks ago, only have about 300-400 rds through it, with no issues what so ever. Sold my Sprflds so I guess that says I'm keeping this one. Not because the quality is any better, dang sure not worse, just that it made in U.S.A

Springer
02-22-2012, 04:10 PM
Just to let Bawanna know..the Osage Orange grips didn't go with the Sprfld. They will be on the SR1911 !

MW surveyor
02-22-2012, 04:14 PM
Wise move. It's not good to sell a gun with an original set of Bawanna made grips! :)

Bawanna
02-22-2012, 04:39 PM
Just to let Bawanna know..the Osage Orange grips didn't go with the Sprfld. They will be on the SR1911 !

That sounds picture worthy to me. The safety plunger tube on the Ruger is cast right into the frame, I've been wondering if it's the same dimensions or if a little more room will have to be allowed to clear it. I suspect it's close.
Visually it looked the same on the one I fondled.

There's plenty of Osage if we need to whittle another set. I think I might even still have the S blueprint maybe.

Springer
02-22-2012, 05:11 PM
I'll check it out and post pic ASAP.

Springer
02-22-2012, 05:47 PM
Shot a pic of Bawanna Grips on the SR1911...but it won't let me post attachments. Any ideas Bawanna???

gb6491
02-22-2012, 05:50 PM
I had one briefly, but wasn't pleased with how the top of the slide was finished and returned it for a refund. Looking back, I probably should have kept it and corrected the issue myself as they have been scarce in these parts :frown:. Then again, I did pick up a nice Colt in it's stead.:)
Regards,
Greg

Bawanna
02-22-2012, 05:50 PM
Shot a pic of Bawanna Grips on the SR1911...but it won't let me post attachments. Any ideas Bawanna???

Oh, there's a new rule you gotta have like 30 post before you can post a picture or have an avatar and a few other things.
Kind of keeps the spammers and infidels out. If you want to email it to me I can post it for you. I'll send ya a PM.

Springer
02-22-2012, 06:14 PM
On the way to you.

CJB
02-22-2012, 07:21 PM
A small point of order -

Unless I'm very sadly mistaken, there is not one MIM part on Ruger firearms. Ruger literally wrote the book on investment casting, which is not Metal Injection Molding. The parts can look similar, but the alloys that cab be used, and the relative stress relief and grain structure of the final part are much different. I cant imagine Ruger using the MIM method when they have the worlds foremost investment casting plant with their own name on it.

And... Ruger has cast hammers, sears, all sorts of small intricate parts... on just about every one of its firearms since day "two". The original Ruger 22 had some fully machined parts that were quickly changed to investment casting as production ramped up. The parts may have looked weird, but as your 'smithy found out, they're good parts.

Bawanna
02-22-2012, 07:22 PM
Here's Springers SR1911 with the Osage Orange handles. I kind of like it myself.

gb6491
02-22-2012, 08:10 PM
Nice pistol Springer and those grips do look good on it:)

A small point of order -

Unless I'm very sadly mistaken, there is not one MIM part on Ruger firearms. Ruger literally wrote the book on investment casting, which is not Metal Injection Molding. The parts can look similar, but the alloys that cab be used, and the relative stress relief and grain structure of the final part are much different. I cant imagine Ruger using the MIM method when they have the worlds foremost investment casting plant with their own name on it.

And... Ruger has cast hammers, sears, all sorts of small intricate parts... on just about every one of its firearms since day "two". The original Ruger 22 had some fully machined parts that were quickly changed to investment casting as production ramped up. The parts may have looked weird, but as your 'smithy found out, they're good parts.
Ruger is using some MIM parts now (http://rugerforum.net/ruger-double-action/45779-sp-101-hammer-trigger.html) and there are MIM parts on the SR1911:
http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=91
Regards,
Greg

jimbar
02-22-2012, 09:34 PM
Got mine back in November. I knew I wanted one as soon as I saw it. I'm kinda partial to Rugers anyways, this is my third . My son was at one of our favorite gun shops, and as a matter of routine, asked if they had one. We had been asking every visit, and this day, the answer was, why, yes, we do have one. He said, I'll take it, and called me.
I've taken it to the range several times,(probably 200+rds so far), and have had no issues. I was able to hit the bulls eye at 10yds on second shot out of the box, and did the same at 25yds later.I think it's an excellent gun for a very good price, $650 + tax.
At the range with friends, it and my Vaquero were very popular.

Bawanna
02-22-2012, 09:41 PM
Got mine back in November. I knew I wanted one as soon as I saw it. I'm kinda partial to Rugers anyways, this is my third . My son was at one of our favorite gun shops, and as a matter of routine, asked if they had one. We had been asking every visit, and this day, the answer was, why, yes, we do have one. He said, I'll take it, and called me.
I've taken it to the range several times,(probably 200+rds so far), and have had no issues. I was able to hit the bulls eye at 10yds on second shot out of the box, and did the same at 25yds later.I think it's an excellent gun for a very good price, $650 + tax.
At the range with friends, it and my Vaquero were very popular.

Good for you jimbar. I now know of at least 3 SR1911's in Washington. Me next, me next.

jimbar
02-22-2012, 10:26 PM
Bawanna, I think it literally comes down to "right place, right time", just lucky for me how I got one. I think there are some in Lynden who reserved one that are still waiting.

JFootin
02-23-2012, 07:01 AM
I just got an email from Bud's saying their business is really getting busy and they just set a new daily sales record. They say all the manufacturers are telling them they cannot keep up with the current market demand for guns. They said this will probably lead to higher prices, but that now is the time to buy guns that will probably appreciate in value. The SR1911 is a good one, and anything Colt makes.

Ken_K
02-23-2012, 09:55 AM
The stars must have been perfectly aligned when I got mine. There were two other sr1911's at the gun show and both were at MSRP. After searching for almost another hour I found the third one. I handled it, asked the price, and then said I'll take it. Right when I said that the guy behind me who had been half way looking over my shoulder said F#@$! and walk away lol.

Bawanna
02-23-2012, 10:16 AM
The stars must have been perfectly aligned when I got mine. There were two other sr1911's at the gun show and both were at MSRP. After searching for almost another hour I found the third one. I handled it, asked the price, and then said I'll take it. Right when I said that the guy behind me who had been half way looking over my shoulder said F#@$! and walk away lol.

Sad as it is for the other guy it's a great feeling when you make a score in a situation like that. More than once I've stumbled onto something I wanted being fondled by someone else. Usually lots of looker with no serious intent. They'll kind of have the let me think on it. I always tell em straight up, if you put it down I'm picking it up and it's going home with me.
Lost a few that way but got a few too. Course the guy behind the table loves it no matter the outcome.

Ken_K
02-23-2012, 03:02 PM
Good job! One of the first guys on Arizona Shooting.com to report getting his from his friendly local dealer waited 9 months for delivery! :eek:

I almost went insane waiting 5 weeks for the trigger job! 9 months would have damn near killed me lol.

Ken_K
02-23-2012, 03:04 PM
Bawanna: That's the first time I've ever managed to snag a deal on pretty much anything. I was always the guy in the back cussing like a sailor lol.

Bawanna
02-23-2012, 03:17 PM
Bawanna: That's the first time I've ever managed to snag a deal on pretty much anything. I was always the guy in the back cussing like a sailor lol.

Well always remember a blind hog gets an occasional acorn. Maybe in my case a deaf sheep would be a better analogy.
Is it a sin to envy you. I want one now.

Ken_K
02-24-2012, 06:29 AM
Na, it's no sin lol. From what I've heard the best places to find them at this time are small mom and pop gun shops. You would think being a small shop they for sure would be the ones asking MSRP or more but apparently not. Most seem to be asking anywhere from $600 - 675, with some reports of $575! I personally believe once the demand drops and the market settles the going price will probably be around $650 give or take a few bucks.

QuercusMax
02-24-2012, 03:23 PM
I just got an email from Bud's saying their business is really getting busy and they just set a new daily sales record. They say all the manufacturers are telling them they cannot keep up with the current market demand for guns. They said this will probably lead to higher prices, but that now is the time to buy guns that will probably appreciate in value. The SR1911 is a good one, and anything Colt makes.

I got the same e-mail. I'm glad that gun manufacturers and retailers are doing well these days. But that message also sounded a bit like the TV commercials that make it sound like the local car dealer or mattress manufacturer is about to run out of product forever, so you need to "hurry" and buy before midnight tonight....

I agree with your assessment of Colt, to which I am very partial, and notice that they are hard to get. Usually that is a sign of scarcity, but could be something else.

Ken_K
02-24-2012, 06:50 PM
I'm trying to get all the firearm related things I want (within reason) by summer. I know the elections are going to cause a real SNAFU with the availability of things like high and regular capacity magazines, accessories, spare parts, and reloading supplies including lead for casting bullets. I'm not particularly worried about some new radical gun control laws being passed asap after the elections, but rather all the people who are. I remember when plain jane bushmaster flat-top ar's were going for $1,500, and people actually BOUGHT them!

QuercusMax
02-24-2012, 07:19 PM
I'm trying to get all the firearm related things I want (within reason) by summer. I know the elections are going to cause a real SNAFU with the availability of things like high and regular capacity magazines, accessories, spare parts, and reloading supplies including lead for casting bullets. I'm not particularly worried about some new radical gun control laws being passed asap after the elections, but rather all the people who are. I remember when plain jane bushmaster flat-top ar's were going for $1,500, and people actually BOUGHT them!

I feel better now ... I had been planning to buy everything I need in the next 2 weeks, but if I can spread that out over a few months instead, it'll take a lot of the pressure off! :)

Ken_K
02-24-2012, 07:53 PM
Good plan! I pretty much have everything I need for the foreseeable future. With all of the Republican candidates very swishy washy on the Second Amendment and Obama & company openly hostile, gun enthusiasts could easily lose big relatively soon. :mad:

My great Grandpa (WWI Cavalry) and my Grandpa (WWII Infantry) have both got to be rolling in their graves at this BS! It's not just about guns anymore, it's our freedom that's at stake as well.

JFootin
02-28-2012, 07:33 PM
How does the Remington 1911 R1 compare? Here are several models in stock at The Gun Source (http://www.thegunsource.com/category/3679-Remington-Model-1911-R1-.45ACP-Pistols.aspx?w=INOq65Nn0ys%3d&y=78455018&z=1221).

Ken_K
03-07-2012, 09:42 AM
I liked the Remington and handled one the same day I bought my Ruger. At the time the only 1911 Remington had out was the R1 and I wanted the extra features of the Ruger. Now Remington has the R1 enhanced that has some extra bells and whistles for around $800. Still (to me anyway) you can't beat the features, build quality, and looks of the Ruger for the price. The R1 does have one distinct advantage over the SR, they can actually be found AND not priced at or above MSRP. :rolleyes:

Bawanna
03-07-2012, 10:07 AM
I held the Remington yesterday, must have been the enhanced one, it had better sights but otherwise was mostly mil spec. It had a very good trigger and in all honesty looked like a blued Ruger. It really did.

I liked it but I'm holding for a Ruger, they are bound to show up around here one of these days. I know where one is now at least and the guy will stop by and let me hold it any time I need a fix.

Bawanna
04-03-2012, 12:53 PM
Soooo, thanks to a few members here I renewed my search for my very own SR 1911. Alas I found one int Pennsylvania. Price is good, shipping is fair and best of all a buy now, so no waiting to win the lottery.

Soooo, in an attempt to save a wicked beating I text the wife to see how long she won't speak to me if I use the CC for 700 and change.

Her reply

"whatever"

I guess today isn't my day. For you newlyweds or lucky single guys this loosely translates to I will kill you if you spend 700 and change on the CC.
I'm used to it so the crushing agony of defeat is hardly noticeable.
Sometimes I do it anyhow when I'm feeling lucky but I was never lucky, not for a long time, course I was lucky a couple days ago so 5 or 6 months of abstinence would probably be tolerable.

I'd seek counseling but I'm sure they are probably 700 a visit.

Oh well, back to the sweat shop with my 8 women coworkers and supervisors, apologies to all my present and future cyber wives, I'm not myself.

Ken_K
04-03-2012, 01:13 PM
Buy it! The a$$ chewing will be worth it I promise! :D

Bawanna
04-03-2012, 01:26 PM
In my infinite but unselfish wisdom I let another guy (who already has one) know about it. I'm sure it's already gone.

He's my retired SEAL buddy so it's worthy but I still hate myself.

Just like here I try to keep the peace. I'm such a pathetic bottom dweller.

BEARDOG
04-03-2012, 01:55 PM
"whatever" Ouch, that sounds kinda harsh.

Maybe, just maybe she meant "whatever"... makes you happy my dear, as your happiness is all that is important to me and a few $ on a CC shouldn't keep you from having what you want....But she didn't feel like typing that all out???... Na, your screwed LOL.

Ken_K
04-03-2012, 01:58 PM
Maybe, just maybe she meant "whatever"... makes you happy my dear, as your happiness is all that is important to me and a few $ on a CC shouldn't keep you from having what you want

Lets go with that.

Bawanna
04-03-2012, 02:19 PM
"whatever" Ouch, that sounds kinda harsh.

Maybe, just maybe she meant "whatever"... makes you happy my dear, as your happiness is all that is important to me and a few $ on a CC shouldn't keep you from having what you want....But she didn't feel like typing that all out???... Na, your screwed LOL.

Well you made me smile and possibly saved my life. I was on my way out back to hang myself when I saw your post.

You always have to go with the harsh version. It took me a long time but I know "whatever" when I see it. The sad part is now I'll go home and she'll 1. Ignore me thinking I did it. 2. Ask me if I did it and when I say no she'll be mad. 3. Deliver a long littany of how poor and indebt we are and we're never gonna get the wheels off the trailer.

I'm turning into a power whiner. I'm so ashamed.

Ken_K
04-03-2012, 02:39 PM
The sad part is now I'll go home and she'll 1. Ignore me thinking I did it. 2. Ask me if I did it and when I say no she'll be mad. 3. Deliver a long littany of how poor and indebt we are and we're never gonna get the wheels off the trailer.

You should have bought it. Just think, you could be sipping on some fine scotch, fondling your new baby, and toning out the wife :D For some unknown reason my gf still wants to marry me knowing full well how I am :rolleyes:

Bawanna
04-03-2012, 03:15 PM
You should have bought it. Just think, you could be sipping on some fine scotch, fondling your new baby, and toning out the wife :D For some unknown reason my gf still wants to marry me knowing full well how I am :rolleyes:

It's a trap! Trust me on that, right now it's all things you want, slip that ring on and you switch sides muy pronto. Trust me on that.

Tinman507
04-03-2012, 03:19 PM
Bawanna,

I am really sorry you had to pass on the SR1911. You translated correctly.
'Whatever' is not a neutral response. Trust me I know this.

There will come an opportunity and all will be well and you'll get that piece.
For now go for peace.

Ken_K
04-03-2012, 03:23 PM
It's a trap! Trust me on that, right now it's all things you want, slip that ring on and you switch sides muy pronto. Trust me on that.

This one has put up with my crap for three years now. I'm not rich, not the most handsome dude in the world (though not bad looking either!) and she's not ugly so either she's really really patient or actually likes me lol.

Bawanna
04-03-2012, 03:30 PM
This one has put up with my crap for three years now. I'm not rich, not the most handsome dude in the world (though not bad looking either!) and she's not ugly so either she's really really patient or actually likes me lol.

I was engaged for 13 years. I am the handsomest man alive and she's a smoking hotty. Trust me dude, patience has nothing to do with it.

Mother in Laws to play a profound effect though. One reason for the 13 years, she was still breathing then, refused to go to the nuptials which was fine and dandy with me. I still celebrate her passing every day. Loved her dad, mom was a nut case.

But enough about me.

Ken_K
04-03-2012, 03:37 PM
So it's simply pure insanity on their part?

Bawanna
04-03-2012, 04:01 PM
So it's simply pure insanity on their part?

You didn't hear that from me. I wasn't even here today.

JFootin
04-03-2012, 04:32 PM
LOL! Bawanna, you're a wise man. You've gotta keep the peace and confirm your love and devotion (read: obedience) if you want to keep your nest comfortable. Is there a safe queen or two that you could sell and finance the purchase? And buy her something nice, too, while you're at it? :p You'd be a wise man indeed if you can figure out how to do all that and not touch the CC! :third:

Ken_K
04-03-2012, 07:35 PM
You didn't hear that from me. I wasn't even here today.

Heck I've been on the PC a lot while on the clock so I wasn't here either!

Bawanna
04-03-2012, 07:39 PM
Heck I've been on the PC a lot while on the clock so I wasn't here either!

The only thing between me and complete insanity in the work place is kahrtalk. It's honest to goodness therapy for me usually. Not always but usually.

But I still wasn't there today.

I'm gonna poke myself in the eye with a steak knife and go visit gunbroker and see what could have been. I guess I'm kind of a masochist.

Jocko, that' when you like want to hurt yourself, inflict pain, cut yourself, use your body as a tree ornament. I'm sure your fully supportive of me in my efforts.

Ken_K
04-03-2012, 07:54 PM
I'm a diesel mechanic (shop foreman and ONLY mechanic) for a small town school district and as long as I'm caught up I can screw around as much as I want lol. Being online keeps me sane because there really isn't anyone else to talk to most of the day.

Deano
04-03-2012, 08:45 PM
This one has put up with my crap for three years now. I'm not rich, not the most handsome dude in the world (though not bad looking either!) and she's not ugly so either she's really really patient or actually likes me lol.It's time you learn about the three rings of marriage young man. It sounds as though you may only be familiar with one. They come in this sequence
1) The engagement ring
2) The wedding ring
3) The suffering

The first two cost a bundle, the last one will cost you your dreams.

JFootin
04-03-2012, 10:04 PM
It's time you learn about the three rings of marriage young man. It sounds as though you may only be familiar with one. They come in this sequence
1) The engagement ring
2) The wedding ring
3) The suffering

I saw a bumper sticker on the back bumper of an old pickup truck:
From wine, women and song
To beer, the old lady and TV

TheTman
04-03-2012, 10:26 PM
I didn't think the marriage part was the big changer, what happened to me was after the first kid was born, It's like I was married to someone I never met before. I think somewhere inside a woman's birth canal is a little lever that automatically gets pushed shen giving birth the first time that activates the mean and nasty parts of a woman's brain. Sure made me find a spot to hide all the guns my wife knew how to use.

Ken_K
04-04-2012, 06:02 AM
It's time you learn about the three rings of marriage young man. It sounds as though you may only be familiar with one. They come in this sequence
1) The engagement ring
2) The wedding ring
3) The suffering

I made it to the engagement ring part with my ex and she jumped straight to the suffering. She cheated and left before I had the chance to give her the boot. My current gf isn't pushing to get married so I'm going to roll with it for now lol.

DKD
04-04-2012, 02:17 PM
Well I have been married now oing on 37 years.....I am all too formiliar with the suffering part of that equation.
I am lucky in one regard, her dad brought her up right...likes to fish some, hunt & likes guns. When my safe became full I kicked her out and got her one for herself. She used to be able to count the open slots t see if I brought home another wayward rifle.....and I always told her I had that one for years. Got kinda tough when you only had two or three vacancies. You know you have a problem when you can outfit two rifle platoons by yourself. I used to call it my retirement fund...:D

Kahrslinger
05-24-2012, 08:15 PM
How many of you have managed to find and buy a SR1911? I lucked out and picked mine up last May at a gun show in Houston. So far it seems to be one heck of a 1911 for the price. I had been wanting a nice American made 1911 for awhile when the Ruger caught my eye. I know it's not some new ground breaking revolutionary design concept that no other 1911 gun maker has, but I think it's on par with pistols costing quite a bit more. It's for sure a gun that I will NEVER sell.

My LGS has one for $699, is that a decent price. And are these pistols a good buy? Where do they fit in the 1911 "ranks"?

Bawanna
05-24-2012, 09:45 PM
I think they are an excellent value and run as well as guns costing a lot more. 699 is a fair price.

I just got one myself, haven't even shot it yet but I know its a keeper.