PDA

View Full Version : I find a lot if Sticky Mags

fitzgood
02-05-2010, 08:33 AM
When I was shoping for my PM9 I was surprised by how many sticky magazines that I found in the Kahrs I handled. By "Sticky" I mean the empty mag will not fall free from the mag well.

I ended up ordering my PM9 online and when it arrived the six round mag had the same "Sticky" problem. The seven round mag that came with the gun was fine and a second six round mag I purchased worked fine also.

My dealer took care of it and Kahr said they would replace it so it was no big deal but I was just looking at another PM9 at a LGS yesterday and it also had a sticky mag too. I have now seen this enough over a long enough period of time to believe it is a fairly common problem. Check the mags you have and see if you have one.

If your shopping for a Kahr you might want to look at this. I am sure they will swap out the magazines for you if the gun you want has a sticky magazine. Just might save you some time and aggravation if you have the dealer take care of it before you take delivery.

deadhead1971
02-05-2010, 08:41 AM
I can't cite a source, but I remember reading that this is by design and was a new change recently. My PM9 was bought new in June 2009 and the mags fall out.

Do you have that new PM9 with the new safety and the warning stuff on the top of the slide? I think these models have that change.

Vinikahr
02-05-2010, 08:54 AM
My CW9 or PM9 does not show this, however, my CW45 did, took two trip to Kahr to fix it, they polished or buffered the magazine well.

500KV
02-05-2010, 08:55 AM
None of my Kahr mags drop-free but it's never been a problem, for me anyway.
I don't carry a spare mag and don't really anticipate having to reload, so 8 rounds in my PM9 is going to have to do.
Besides, I might not want the mag to drop-free in a real life encounter.
YMMV

recoilguy
02-05-2010, 09:04 AM
I have CZ75B and the mag not dropping out is designed into that gun. You can buy a different Mag lock spring to let them fall free, the reason is in case you are in a situation and bump the mag release by accident, you don't have to look around forr the mag to shot again. If your holster is tight and the button is pushed the mag won't fall out or stop your gun from firing.

I don't think that is what Kahr is doing but I don't know that for sure.

RCG

jeep45238
02-05-2010, 09:30 AM
On a polymer gun, look at your mag catch. On a steel, could be the catch or the grip screws - if it's a new production, I'd look at loosening the grip screws slightly.

jfrey
02-05-2010, 09:33 AM
I have two mags for my CW9 that pop free fairly well but the third one I bought won't fall out. I figured out that the mag release is catching them at the top of the mag if you don't depress it and hold it in. The mag springs apparently aren't strong enough to pop them out fast enough to get by the catch. I wound up polishing the outside of the first two mags with a dremel tool and JB polishing compound and that helped. I need to do the third one now and see if it helps that one too. I haven't figured out a way to polish the inside of the mag well yet. Any suggestions???

fitzgood
02-05-2010, 09:33 AM
By design an empty mag should fall free of the pistol when the mag release is fully depressed. Kahr acknowledged that the sticky mag was defective and replaced it. If the mag release is only bumped for an instant the mag will release and drop partially but not fall completely out because the mag release button spring will hold tension on it (that is normal) but if the button is pressed fully pressed the mag should fall out completely.

I can understand that this may not be an issue for a range gun or for a person that carries no spare mags. For those that carry for SD and do carry a spare magazine, I think it could be very important. It was to me, so I thought I would share.

fitzgood
02-05-2010, 09:45 AM
I have two mags for my CW9 that pop free fairly well but the third one I bought won't fall out. I figured out that the mag release is catching them at the top of the mag if you don't depress it and hold it in. The mag springs apparently aren't strong enough to pop them out fast enough to get by the catch. I wound up polishing the outside of the first two mags with a dremel tool and JB polishing compound and that helped. I need to do the third one now and see if it helps that one too. I haven't figured out a way to polish the inside of the mag well yet. Any suggestions???

Take a look at the weld seams on the back of your three mags. There is a visible difference in the weld seam that runs the along the back of the mag on all the sticky mags that I have seen. The weld looks slightly rougher than the welds on the good mags. I know its not the weld that catches but I think it is a symptom of a improper fit up before the weld that makes the mag slightly wider.

paintwerk
02-09-2010, 06:37 PM
My P9 did the same thing for the first couple trips to the range.

Now all 6 mags that I have drop free with no problem.

I asked some fellow Kahr owners about this when i was shopping around for my P9, and they stated that after some use, and this would eventually go away.

peterj
02-09-2010, 06:47 PM
My P9 did the same thing for the first couple trips to the range.

Now all 6 mags that I have drop free with no problem.

I asked some fellow Kahr owners about this when i was shopping around for my P9, and they stated that after some use, and this would eventually go away.

+1, same with me.

hollander
02-10-2010, 08:03 PM
Had a problem with one and email customer service. Ian told me to mail it in and they would swap it. Have not yet tried the new mag. I would like to see a little better of what was said about polishing them so I could try.