PDA

View Full Version : Reluctant CW9 user...

entoptics
02-25-2012, 02:04 AM
So. I bought a CW9 for my wife (and myself for CCW). The wife loved it in the store, during her dry fire work at home, and out on the range. She's got little mitts, and loved the comfort.

Unfortunately, she can't shoot it for crap. It's super comfy for her little paws, and she's got the controls down pat, but she sprays bullets at the proverbial barn. She's tried hard to learn, and diligently unleashed several hundred rounds downrange in a disciplined and open minded manner without any real improvements. We've used dummy rounds to cure her flinch, but it hasn't really made a difference.

Doubly unfortunate for me, she shoots my early 2nd Gen glock pretty damn good (and always has). Because we are poor, this means the G17 is now her "home defense" gun, and I'm stuck with the CW9 for ALL outside the home carry (field work, camping, etc) and not just CCW. I have to leave a gun for her when I'm gone for a couple weeks at a time, and since the glock just works for her, I'm left with the CW9.

Anyway...Since I'm stuck with the little bastige, I need to gear up to make the most of it. I have a lovely and cheap Galco IWB holster. Thin suede leather with a belt clip. It was cheap and works wonderfully other than reholstering. All day comfy and secure.

That leaves me with a need for an open carry solution (camping, gun range, etc)

1) I need a decent kydex/plastic/polymer/etc holster that won't break the bank.

2) I need a good magazine pouch/holder.

I can't justify spending a ton of money, but I'd like something that works like my $20 Uncle Mikes kydex rig for my glock.

Any ideas?

cjjohn
02-25-2012, 06:43 AM
Have you tried making your own out of kydex? You can order sheets online, and it's actually pretty easy to work with. And you can make it YOURS. I have made a few and it gets easier every time. And it's pretty inexpensive. 12"x12" sheets of kydex run about 5 bucks.

LaP
02-25-2012, 10:00 AM
Sorry to hear about your difficlties with the CW9.

I carry mine in a Bianchi Pro IWB... approx. $50. Another good choice is the Galco Stow-N-Go IWB... approx. $25

OldLincoln
02-25-2012, 10:31 AM
There's a good selection for OWB in the lower price range. You do need to check out the sturdiness of the construction though. There's this video on You tube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDeKtgkZKmQ&feature=related) demonstrating how fragile some holsters are made. The "BG" shoves down on the gun and the holster breaks off of the belt mount.

JFootin
02-25-2012, 10:48 AM
Did you check to see if Uncle Mike's makes one of those for the CW9?

BrewerGeorge
02-25-2012, 10:56 AM
See if you can find a gunshow near you. Last one I went to here had tons of inexpensive all leather holsters made by Amish. I'm talking $25 for a nice OWB paddle or slide.

espresso
02-25-2012, 10:58 AM
I'd check Ebay. I've come across some nice used CW9 holsters there but decided to buy new. Might find some mag holders there too.

entoptics
02-25-2012, 08:37 PM
I don't know the first thing about making my own holster. Any good "FAQ" links?

Apparently my needs weren't totally clear. I need a good OWB holster. My current holster is not Desantis, it's a Galco IWB suede job. Behind the hip, IWB. It's very good for my CCW purposes (thin, comfy, cheap, and simple).

What I need is a cheapish OWB holster for open carry. Speed, access, etc. I carry cross draw when I open carry, so a bunch of good stuff is ruled out do to a forward cant strong side design.

LaP. Thanks, but it's not really a "CW9 difficulty". I appreciate the gun for what it's designed for, and shoot it pretty good. Not as good as my old G17, but good enough to trade it to my wife. She can shoot the G17 pretty decent and sucks with the CW9. I can shoot both pretty decent at any range so it's a no brainer to give her my G17.

My CW9 "difficulty" would be the lack of aftermarket accessories like those available for the Glock.

tv_racin_fan
02-26-2012, 02:16 AM
How is she trying to shoot that CW? My wife has trouble with her if she tries to aim and sneak up on the break point of the trigger. I have toyed with the idea of taking the sights off since in my opinion you wont need them at all in most self defence scenarios.

When she forgets about the sights and forgets about trying to sneak up on that break point while aiming she does just fine. At least in my opinion.

The CW while it can indeed be very accurate in experienced hands it aint that at all in her or for that matter MY hands. What it is is plenty accurate enough when we forget the sights and just point and shoot.

I mentioned takin the sights off to a "professional" trainer and he seemed to think I had the right idea. Course then I mentioned to thw wife about going to see him and she said aint no way I am spendin that kinda money for some handgun training. My son said for that kinda money he best have me shooting a snub nose at 300 yards and hittin every shot... I don't agree but the cost is something to consider for sure.

jocko
02-26-2012, 05:50 AM
leave the sights on the gun, just work with her more. #1 she is not into guns like u are so her desires are not the same. If she can work the gun correctly, clear a jam. load a magazine etc, then the shooting part more than likely will just get as good as it is. If shtf, she probably ain't gonna hit what she is aiming or or pointing at either but the Bg sure in hell is gonna want to get out of her line of fire whcih could be anywhere. U do'thave to hit ur target all the time in a shtf situation to get ur point across either. Most woman are just not that pumped up about guns, and carrying loaded guns either. It is just a fact of life. Men love to fish, women love to eat fish.Women love to mall shop, Men love to mall SIT. It is wha tit is. Training is great but unless it is repetitive training and not just once a month, then she is not gonna retain all that we think she should know, as again for 95% of most women this gun thing is just not at the top of their priority line. Most women get "alittle" enthused about guns due to the hubby being a gun person and she wanting to try it to also have something to be doing with the hubby to but it just doesn't seem to last. I would not consider taking the sights off of a cw kahr, this is not a pee shooter like some of these really really small 380 that just have anub for a front sight. She needs more range time --alot more and close up shooting 5-7 yards at best and no bulleye target, get her some FBI Q target silhouette, she will hit in that target most every time and that is a confidence builder. Thats what ur after anyhow..

downtownv
02-26-2012, 06:30 AM
Ok here ya go!
Tuckable custom Kydex $35 on one of my other forums.

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/350601935/m/3850028862

Sigs and Kahrs expensively prefect together!
Your Welcome.....

JFootin
02-26-2012, 08:48 AM
Ok here ya go!
Tuckable custom Kydex $35 on one of my other forums.

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/350601935/m/3850028862

Sigs and Kahrs expensively prefect together!
Your Welcome.....

Wow! $35 shipped for a nice 2 clip IWB in horsehide and kydex. He lists the Kahr PM9, which would fit the CM9, the PM/CM40 and probably the P/CW9/40 and the MKs. Good deal!

MW surveyor
02-26-2012, 08:50 AM
Come on guys! He's looking for an OWB!

You might want to look into a belt slide holster. Pretty cheap but there is no retention straps or anything to hold it in, just tension. Or you could find a relatively inexpensive paddle holster out of kydex. See them around here for about $25.

downtownv
02-26-2012, 09:14 AM
He'll do any pistol......

entoptics
02-27-2012, 12:54 AM
Come on guys! He's looking for an OWB!.

Thank you sir.

To reiterate my OP:

I need an OWB rig. Something that gets the gun outside my clothing. My budget is low-middling. It must have a neutral cant (i.e. straight up and down) because I prefer cross draw but occasionally use strong side.

I already have a sweet IWB holster for strong side kidney carry. Galco, cheap, flimsy, suede, thumb break, belt clip holster of goodness. Reholstering is a pain, but I don't mind trading that for slim and comfy. I love it.

I need a NON concealed rig. Think blackhawk serpa belt rig for Kahr CW9.

entoptics
02-27-2012, 01:18 AM
How is she trying to shoot that CW?

...I have toyed with the idea of taking the sights off since in my opinion you wont need them at all in most self defence scenarios.

She has fired a couple thousand rounds in her life. 300-600 in the CW9. We feel that using the sights is important.

leave the sights on the gun, just work with her more. #1 she is not into guns like u are so her desires are not the same...

...Most woman are just not that pumped up about guns, and carrying loaded guns either...

...Training is great...for 95% of most women this gun thing is just not at the top of their priority line...She needs more range time...

She shoots my glock better than most of my male friends. She has worked quite hard for a mall shopper. Since she already uses the G17 well. I believe it is appropriate to swap guns, since I shoot the CW9 decently.

More range time to force her to use the CW9 seems like a waste, when our range time could be spent on a myriad of other weapons and tactics.

More importantly, she has more fun when she hits stuff with the glock than when she misses stuff with the CW9.

getsome
02-27-2012, 04:24 PM
Hi Entoptics and welcome to Kahrtalk....Your best bet for a medium priced decent leather holster is at a gun show...Take the gun with you and try some out...Many holsters made for similar sized guns and even Glocks will work for a Kahr pistol but try them out and find one that will do...

I have a PM40 and bought a Galco OWB holster for a PM9 and it fits like a glove and has a safety snap strap and I only paid something like $59.00 for it ordered through my local gun store so if thats in your budget give them a look as they make high quality premium holsters...

I rarely use the OWB holster and almost exclusively pocket carry in a cheap Uncle Mikes nylon holster and IMHO works better than an expensive Desantis Super Fly pocket holster I bought and didn't like...One tip I found that worked great on the Uncle Mikes nylon rig was to stick a small piece of sand paper like stair step tape on the outside and the holster always stays in the pocket during draw...

For inexpensive magazine holders go to Bass Pro Shop or Gander Mountain and they sell nice nylon knife belt holders in many sizes and thats all I use for magazine pouches....They have a velcro top cover and work perfect for about 10 bucks each or less for a size to fit a CW magazine...

Now for your wife...Now understand that I'm not a fantastic shot by any means but I did pay an instructor $50.00 for an hour to help me with my PM40 and he was able to help me a good bit...I have always used a Weaver stance when target shooting pistols and it just feels natural and normal to me but he had me change two things...First was to go to an isosloeles stance for defensive shooting and he had me bend my knees more than I was normally doing then take the pistol straight out in front and lean into the target...

The second was something an instructor normally doesn't tell a target shooter to do and it was to use more of my trigger finger all the way up to the first joint...I have medium hands but he said due to the guns small grip and distance to the trigger it is better to do this as it allows a better grip and follow through shot to shot...Most target instructors say to use the tip of your trigger finger like when clicking on a ball point pin and that works fine on a full size gun but not so good on a small frame pocket gun...

I still find myself reverting back to the Weaver stance and have to catch myself but I have to admit that he was right...I shoot MUCH better with an isosleles style straight out stance, lean into the target, find the front sight and don't worry about lining everything up and fire for center mass...Try it and see if it helps her...Good luck!!!....

Diocoles
02-28-2012, 01:46 PM
Come on guys! He's looking for an OWB!

You might want to look into a belt slide holster. Pretty cheap but there is no retention straps or anything to hold it in, just tension. Or you could find a relatively inexpensive paddle holster out of kydex. See them around here for about $25.

Yup ^^^

I like my nylon slider belt holster. It fits like a glove and shapes itself to the pistol after a while.
Comfortable and doesn't fall out.
I've run with it, jumped fences and such. No issues.
I get mine usually at the gunshow but NRA Store has some nice leather ones with the NRA logo on them. They're a bit fancier and last longer.
My last nylon one lasted over 5 years. Just replaced it.
I have a leather one for my Kimber (NRA) and a nylon for my Kahr CW9.
With my velcro belt, I can wear it anywhere with sweats, shorts, jeans .... so on.. Very comfortable.
Just my 2 cents worth.

jocko
02-28-2012, 02:35 PM
She has fired a couple thousand rounds in her life. 300-600 in the CW9. We feel that using the sights is important.

She shoots my glock better than most of my male friends. She has worked quite hard for a mall shopper. Since she already uses the G17 well. I believe it is appropriate to swap guns, since I shoot the CW9 decently.

More range time to force her to use the CW9 seems like a waste, when our range time could be spent on a myriad of other weapons and tactics.

More importantly, she has more fun when she hits stuff with the glock than when she misses stuff with the CW9.

anyone thinks u should force ur wife to shoot anything,let alone a cw9. I have no doubt she will shoot a glock better than a kahr, it is very close to a single action semi, certainly a very short trigger system compared to kahrs, but again two different guns, two different designs. G17 pretty big gun for a woman to waist band carry and even purse carry. She will never shoot a kahr as accurate as a G17 and if that is the total criteria thenindeed no kahr for ur lady will please her. I feel very confident that she can hand rack a glock far easier than any kahr to, and that is very important. anyone can pull the trigger once loaded but as u know there is far more to gun ownerswhip than pulling the trigger.. Just sayin.:banplease:

MW surveyor
02-28-2012, 02:38 PM
My CW9 is sitting in a belt slide as I write this. One thing for sure, it holds my S&W 422, Walther P22, CW9, CZ Phantom and 1911. In a real pinch it will hold my SP101. Talk about versatile. :)

entoptics
03-06-2012, 01:30 AM
I haven't found a neutral kydex holster on the general market.

I googled "Belt slide" and all the hits appear to be a close in, leather, forward cant, strong side holster.

Presumably I'm not being clear. I have a strong side IWB rig that I very much adore for CCW.

I need a cross draw and strong side (i.e. neutral cant) holster that will serve for a range, camp, or casual gaming holster. It needs to securely hold the gun a little off the belt in a vertical orientation.

Outside of a heavy shirt or light jacket...Quick draw when dueling on steel with my buddies...Easy at hand while sitting around the campfire...etc.

I'm not looking for anything special. If I had a Beretta, Glock, XD, 1911, or phaser, I'd be able to grab something suitable off the shelf at Cabelas for $25.

Thanks for the suggestions, but if you guys don't know of such a beast, then I'm guessing it doesn't exist.

JFootin
03-06-2012, 06:47 AM
Here ya go: http://pjholster.com/?page_id=110

entoptics
03-06-2012, 10:17 AM
Here ya go: http://pjholster.com/?page_id=110

Now we're getting there. That's just about what I'm after. Price is a little steep, but for a hard to find size, it's not outrageous. The clip may not be ideal, but for a small, light weight gun like the CW9 it may not wobble too much on the belt.

Thanks. I'll follow up on the suggestion.

dschuetz26
03-06-2012, 07:12 PM
Galco M7X holster..!!

entoptics
03-08-2012, 01:05 AM
Galco M7X holster..!!

If they made a neutral cant, I'd already own one.

Nordman9
03-08-2012, 06:15 AM
OK. First time here. I carry a CW9 OWB strong side in a black, Tagua Quick Draw Belt Holster, $35.00. It is a BH2-1150. Also fits P40, PF9. Nice tight fit for gun and it holds really close to body for concealment. I have also ordered the Thumb-Break version, BH1-1150 to use.
Love this gun. Put over 250 rounds through it without a problem. Best deal for the money I found.
I bought it to replace my PPQ as my CCW because of it's size. Love them both.