PDA

View Full Version : PM9 Barrel question

DKD
03-02-2012, 01:04 PM
OK you reloaders out there, here is a couple of technical questions for you guys..... Might be a good question for BAWANNA or JOCKO.

1. Does any one know if we have a PM9, if we can purchase a standard CM9 barrel as a drop in so that one can shoot hard cast bullets?
I have always liked being able to cast my own projectiles, especially when one looks at the price of componemts these days.

2. Second question : How bad is the leading if one keeps the velocity reasonable with hard cast bullets in the Polygonal barrels?

jocko
03-02-2012, 01:28 PM
yes u canbuy a cm9 barrel, andIMO and justmy opoinion. lead will fly out of ur PMbarrel as it is now but certinly a good barrel cleaning every time out would be recommended. I really think u outta just go with fmj reloads and quit worrying about it, buying a cm barrel will offset many thousands of lead bullets. IMO it is going to be har dto get past wal marts 100 pak pries of wwb and federal with fmj rounds . but if u insist, u can buy the barrel with no roblems.

CJB
03-02-2012, 01:42 PM
From what I've tried, lead seems ok "in moderation" in the kahr polygonal barrels - I think the reason is they have sort of Metford shape, not a true polygon (well... just look!)

Shoot some lead, shoot a few jacketed rounds to blow out the lead (it will), clean up the rest.

Dont go shooting 2000 rounds of lead before cleaning... but if you shoot a box or two, then clean, it'll be ok.

DKD
03-02-2012, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the kick back JOCKO.

I always give my pistols a good claening every time I shoot them. I just like being totally independent and making my own rounds to include the bullets. I have a thousand pounds of lead in my garage along with bullet alloy and I am totally self sufficient when it comes to being able to manufacture my own ammo should the need arise.
Should the SHTF I will be able to stay in action with out the factory made componenets. I have molds for every firearm both rifle & pistol in my repitore.

I was just wondering what is was in the make up or design of these polyognal barrels that cause the leading...? Could it be the round rifling not giving the same surface area for the bullet to slug up into? Just wondering.:confused:

Bawanna
03-02-2012, 01:50 PM
I don't have a solid good answer for you on this one. Many say just what CJB said, in moderation ok. But I've also heard it isn't so much a lead build up concern but a pressure thing and it only takes once.

I would say that it's no different than any other barrel in that if you keep the velocity down the lead issue will be much less.

I'm kind of a worrier and when they say don't shoot lead through a polygonal barrel it makes me break out the Tums. If you like molding your own and like to shoot your home rolled variety I'd say get the standard rifled barrel and shoot away.

Sometimes the joy of rolling your own is satisfying regardless of money savings or lack there of. I figure the more you save the more you'll shoot so you don't save anything anyhow. Kind of like a wife and your paycheck. More you make, the more she spends.

DKD
03-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Here is a brain twister for you guys... I also shoot alot with my two Shiloh Sharps Buffalo Rifles and of course I roll my own both bullets and hand custom loads in compressed black powder. I even rolled some with a custom paper patched bullet and killed a deer with it last year. Just call be Quigley Jr.
:D

Well anyway on to my question : I load some greese grooved 535 grain bullets and they are alloyed at 20/1 lead to tin which is damn soft and even sometimes 30/1 at a muzzle velocity of 1,100-1150 fps with zero leading out of 30" &34" barrels...go figure that one out.

Must be the Ballard style rifling which was mage for lead bullets but it can also shoot jacketed bullets as well....????? A conundrum for sure and for certain.

tv_racin_fan
03-02-2012, 02:11 PM
Bawanna if it were a pressure thing I believe you would be more likely to have issue with a jacketted round than a pure lead one or even hard cast.

The Kahr manual used to state that lead projectiles were ok just clean well after useage.

I know when I start casting I intend to load for my Kahrs.

jocko
03-02-2012, 02:20 PM
probaby the lead thing is way over stated to. Just sayin..

Bawanna
03-02-2012, 02:30 PM
Bawanna if it were a pressure thing I believe you would be more likely to have issue with a jacketted round than a pure lead one or even hard cast.

The Kahr manual used to state that lead projectiles were ok just clean well after useage.

I know when I start casting I intend to load for my Kahrs.

I've always felt that a lead bullet conforms more tightly to the rifling in a barrel than a jacketed bullet. Certainly more drag with a lead bullet than a jacketed bullet.

But again, I just don't have a solid hand on the bible good answer on this one.

340pd
03-02-2012, 05:14 PM
I have tried lead bullets in my PM9 and I did spend more time cleaning. Accuracy was fine but as the barrel leaded up the accuracy dropped off. I solved all my leading issues by switching to plated bullets. Slightly more $ than cast lead, but zero issues with any rifling and just as accurate in most firearms. For the cost of a new spare barrel you can easily offset the added cost of plated over lead.

jocko
03-02-2012, 05:20 PM
good point 340Pd. I tried to say it that way earlier but fokked it all up.

mr surveyor
03-02-2012, 06:30 PM
didn't DKD say he already had about a thousand pounds of lead as well as the necessary alloys??? Enough stuff already paid for to cast 60,000+ 9mm boolits. I don't know if the CM9 barrel will drop into a PM9 or not, but even if it cost $200, that would only buy 1500-2000 jacketed bullets ... if one can find a real deal.

I wish I had a thousand pounds of lead:)

surv

michpatriot
03-02-2012, 09:08 PM
Interesting idea...:D

CJB
03-02-2012, 09:44 PM
The Kahr manual...

Sometimes things are said in manuals that are said for a certain reason, but not the obvious reason.

Such as the slingshot issue. Yes you can slingshot the Kahr pistols, but Kahr wants you to use the slide stop. Why? CONSISTENCY from customer to customer. It rules out a problem for them when dealing with customers _and_ it rules out problems for some customers as well! Double duty from one statement. Good thinkin.

Same with lead. Its not a mortal sin. And like using the slingshot method - know your mileage may vary. That is - some lead tips might not feed well, barrel leading, having to drive the lead bullets fast enough to cycle the action may increase leading, cleaning, accuracy issues, etc. etc. Hell, maybe their even concerned about being sued for lead poisoning... who the heck knows?

MODERATION - go in with both eyes open! Load your own, not by the book, but as your pistol dictates, within the parameters set by the book, which must not be exceeded! If you get failures, dirty barrel, poor accuracy, or your central nervous system falls out onto the interstate while you're on your skoot, DON'T BLAME KAHR!!!

But that doesn't mean its all that terribly out of the question either.

340pd
03-03-2012, 06:59 AM
didn't DKD say he already had about a thousand pounds of lead as well as the necessary alloys??? Enough stuff already paid for to cast 60,000+ 9mm boolits. I don't know if the CM9 barrel will drop into a PM9 or not, but even if it cost $200, that would only buy 1500-2000 jacketed bullets ... if one can find a real deal.

I wish I had a thousand pounds of lead:)

surv
I agree is is totally cheaper if you already have the materials. I still think at the end of the day the extra barrel is worth zip. I can get 2500 124 gr. from http://store.tjconevera.com/ for $200 to my door. In spite of the fact we think differently most people do not shoot that much ammo from one gun in a short time. One other option is save a little more and pick up a good used CW9 and use that for training with your lead bullets.