PDA

View Full Version : New favorite 9mm load

DJK11
03-02-2012, 01:54 PM
Finally settled on a 9mm load for both the PM9 and XD9sc. Ran 150 rnds. through each gun this morning.

124 gr. Berrys round nose, hollow base-thick plate

WST 4.9 gr.

CCI primer

1.150 COL

This is not a powder-puff load.
Shooting at an indoor range so no chrono check. Shot from 20' - 30' with pin-point accuracy (well maybe). These hit point of aim with less muzzle flip and very low flash (not discernible by the shooter).

I'm happy.

AIRret
03-05-2012, 02:18 PM
It's apparent that you are an experienced reloader. So maybe you can answer my question. I've never reloaded before so could you recomend some books or web sites that would help. Thanks

MW surveyor
03-05-2012, 03:59 PM
It's apparent that you are an experienced reloader. So maybe you can answer my question. I've never reloaded before so could you recomend some books or web sites that would help. Thanks

I'm not DJK but I have been reloading for about 2 years and reload 38, 357, 9 mm and 45 ACP so I should be able to give you a little bit of insight.

First off, reloading is fairly easy if you are attentive to the process and being just a bit anal helps. To see the process and get some good insights, go to youtube and do a search for reloading videos. There is a ton of them some good and some fair at best. There are a couple of joke ones in there also so just beware :eek:

Some reloading manuals to look at include Modern Reloading by Richard Lee (maker of the Lee brand of reloading equipment-some what biased in equipment but pretty good information) this book is not expensive and does have a large section of loading data. Another book would be the Lyman Pistol and Revolver Handbook. Good information in this one also with some limited pistol loads.

I'd watch as many of the videos as you can stand first and then if it seems like reloading would be for you, get the reloading manuals.

Jim

DJK11
03-06-2012, 09:29 AM
MW hit the mark dead on. Take it slow and pay attention to details. The Lee books are great and so are the many others like Hornady and Hodgon. Search the WEB but use caution when it comes to peoples opinion, it's just that.

When using load charts, I find it best to use the manufacturers website for load data. It's up to date vs an older chart in a manual. Powder mixes do change over time.

About presses; some recommend a starter press or single stage until you get the hang of it. I say if you can swing it purchase a mid level unit. If you get into it you won't need to upgrade. If it's not for you, it has resale value.

Here is a good site www.brianenos.com

I shoot about 200-300 rnds per. week and got into reloading for the cost savings. My material cost using range brass is $12/100 for 9mm and $17/100 for 45acp. I use jacketed and plated bullets so the cost is a bit more than using lead. Pick up all the brass you can, don't be shy about it. There's times I leave the range with more brass than I came with.

Replay13
03-06-2012, 02:21 PM

DJK11 had a good load worked out for him that he is happy with, but I would like to point out that its not a listed book load for the 9mm. It does sounds like it should be a good clean burning powder for a mid range load.

Reloading is fun and a good way to save a few $$$ in the process. I'm sure you will get lots of good reloading advise here and in books. I would just like to say start with book loads from the bullet manufactures, or look online at the data published by the powder manufactures. I would advise, don't start at the top, start lower and work up. Also double check everything and you will be fine. Some of the slower powders fills the case better and gives more velocity and stops any chance of a double charge.

Personally I don't load the 9mm that much, I can get practice ammo in the store for about as cheap as I can load it. But if you get the Berry or Montana gold bullets by the 1,000 you can get some savings. I do reload a lot and I reload all my other calibers. I even shot a lot of Berry bullets in my .40 XDM. I can save a lot there. I do load all my JHP bullets for my 9mm, I can't seem to justify $1 + a round for personal defence bullets. If you figure in the cost of shooting a couple hundred to see how they feed too. Others will point out the lawyer stuff but the chances of me shooting someone in self defense is pretty small and if I have to I will hopefully be alive to deal deal with the lawyers then.

I've been reloading for over 40 years if you have any questions, and I'm sure others here will be glad to give their opinion also.

The best advise I can give for the straight case wall pistol rounds is don't over bell the case mouth, just do it enough to start the bullet in... and don't over taper crimp the bullet, just do enough to take the bell out. Over crimping will just make the bullet looser in the case. It will slightly deform the bullet and the brass case will spring back slightly. Also it doesn't need to be said, double check your powder charge settings and only have one powder on the bench at a time.

Have fun, it is a rewarding hobby :D
James

AIRret
03-09-2012, 04:53 AM
Thanks for all the information!!!!! Now I have somewhere to start my education on reloading.

DM123
03-09-2012, 05:40 PM
Something else to consider about reloading--It is, to a certain extent, like knitting in that there is a bit of art form to it. For instance, Berry's makes plated bullets. Getting the crimp right on a plated bullet is kind of a big deal no matter what the powder load. To much and you can cut through the plating. To little and the bullet will slide back in the brass with an auto loader. Both problems can result in a Kaboom.

Reloading is a lot of fun but there is a need to learn as much as you can first. If you have a fiend that is competent, that would be a good place to start.