PDA

View Full Version : 84 Year Old Motorcyclist Dies After Collision

TheTman
03-02-2012, 07:51 PM
By RICK PLUMLEE
The Wichita Eagle
The motorcyclist who was killed Thursday on West 21st was identified Friday as Guy D. Rhodes, 84, Wichita police said.
Rhodes was riding a 125 cc Yamaha Zuma westbound on 21st about 12:40 p.m. when he ran into the back of a 2005 Ford Focus, which was stopped to turn left on McComas, Lt. Steven Kenney said. Rhodes and his small motorcycle catapulted over the length of the car, and the motorcycle landed on top of him.
He was transported to Via Christi Hospital on St. Francis, where he was pronounced dead.
The 73-year-old woman who was driving the Focus had her left-turn signal on, Kenney said. Rhodes tried to swerve but was unable to avoid striking the car, he said.
Rhodes was wearing a helmet, Kenney said.

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/2012/03/02/v-print/2238464/motorcyclist-fatality-identified.html#storylink=cpy

That's cool that an 84 year old was out on two wheels, even if it only was a scooter. Sorry he killed himself in the wreck, but at least he died doing something he enjoyed. I hope I'm able to walk when I'm 84, let alone ride a scooter.

CJB
03-02-2012, 09:19 PM
I hope I'm able to breathe... at 84... I seriously doubt I'll be there.

Krusty
03-02-2012, 10:13 PM
:eek: I 'm gonna ride a Suzuki Hayabusa at age 80 ,....see what happens at 200 mph when diagnosed with Parkinsons.....:w00t::w00t::w00t:

DubDubU
03-02-2012, 10:22 PM
:eek: I 'm gonna ride a Suzuki Hayabusa at age 80 ,....see what happens at 200 mph when diagnosed with Parkinsons.....:w00t::w00t::w00t:

Finding you might be like trying to find a needle in a hayabusa stack.

muggsy
03-03-2012, 11:32 AM
Well, I guess that he won't be doing that again.

jocko
03-03-2012, 12:25 PM
It was his day!! He died while "trying" to do what he probably did for 50 ytears. I truly hope that I can make it riding until I am at least 75. I certainly won't push the envelope but I will be hard pressed to give it up it. I can't explain to many the passion I get from riding my Harley But I have been in to many "close" calls, which none were my fault and then I have been on thefront end of a ford truck due to my fault, so I guess it has evened out.

I road 50 miles today for coffee in 32 degree weahter. The people at the restaurant just shake their heads. I have no defense for that either, other than "if u haven't been there, then u haven't done it.

Hayabusha, isn't that a doube cheesburger on rye with hold the tomato.

Or is Hayabush something one see's when a young gal sits are a table with spread legs.

Hi ya bush!!! Its all in the spelling, u know. Just saying.

muggsy
03-04-2012, 11:04 AM
I rode until good sense got the better of me. I realized that I don't fall off as gracefully as I once did and don't heal nearly as quickly anymore. Stay safe, Jocko.

gtcoupe
03-04-2012, 02:13 PM

I can tell you what happens. My wife was diagnosed with Parkinsons last year. That's when she traded in her Harley Heritage on an Ultra. She rides on the back now, but it's still her bike! :D

jocko
03-04-2012, 02:39 PM
I feel for u gtcoupe. Jy wife rides her own 2011 streetglide, like she stole. it, She is much younger than I so I let her lead alot. I love to see a woman riding a Harley.. She has been riding her own for about 17 years and has logged over 150K. At my age,I don't want anyone on the back of my bike, let along does anyone want to ge ton the back ofmy bike either.

Popeye
03-04-2012, 02:59 PM
Well at least he died doing what he enjoyed doing instead of sitting around the house doing nothing like some sort of couch vegatable. I know I'm not about to get off mine anytime soon. Still got to much to see and do.:D

TheTman
03-04-2012, 03:33 PM
My 69 year old brother was one one of those HD trikes for a couple years, but has decided to go back to 2 wheels for now with street glide. I took a look at a new Switchback and really liked it, kind of like a smaller Road King, with quick detach hard bags and windscreen. But since I had HD rebuild me a motor for my 92 Heritage, I'll probably be riding that for a few more years. Wish I'd put a Baker 6 speed tranny in it though. I did have em put an Andrews cam in it, shave the heads .060, and added a Mikuni carb and a set of Vance and Hines 2 into 2 Pro Pipes, and it keeps up pretty well with the hot rod bikes passing trucks and things. Of course many of them are on baggers, and I have a lot less weight, but as long as I can keep up I'm happy. One of these days I'll put new fenders on it and have it painted. It's the Turquoise and Cream "Elvis" color, and the ladies sure like it. :)

Springer
03-04-2012, 04:08 PM
I can only hope I go out quick! The Springer on top of me... I'm ok with that.

jocko
03-04-2012, 04:33 PM
tht switchback IMO is one awesome bike. I like everything about it. Dealers tell me they can't get enough of them. It brought the dyna line back to life, that is for sure. Springer, my wife had two of the Heritage springers. She had the first year (96) red and white (swoosch tank model) with the long stringing bags. One of the most beautiful bikes I think Harley every built. She road it for over 40K and we never had one issue, then traded it and bought her another springer. She is on her 3rd streetglide now. (I totaled her #2 streetglide) one of those milkshake rides that didn 't end up good.:blah:

lkgmadmax
03-04-2012, 05:14 PM
I started riding at age 45 and rode for 5 years logging 50k miles. Distances ranging as far as Raleigh N C to Key West FL and back. Started with a Honda ACE 1100, Honda Valkyrie 1520 6 clynider, Honda Goldwing 1800cc, and my final bike 2005 Triumph RocketIII 2300cc with 140HP :)

Out of the business now, never went down and never skinned a knee and I'm thankful.

http://img.tapatalk.com/4741feab-0523-f0e4.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/4741feab-053c-307a.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/4741feab-054b-07e7.jpg

Sent from my ThinkPad Tablet using Tapatalk started riding

mr surveyor
03-04-2012, 05:49 PM
I learned my limits a long time ago and gave up two wheelers at the ripe old age of 16:). If it can't stand up by itself, I ain't ridin' it.

lkgmadmax
03-04-2012, 05:54 PM
Sorry to hear that, exactly why I figured it was a good time to stop.

Sent from my ThinkPad Tablet using Tapatalk

Springer
03-05-2012, 06:42 PM
tht switchback IMO is one awesome bike. I like everything about it. Dealers tell me they can't get enough of them. It brought the dyna line back to life, that is for sure. Springer, my wife had two of the Heritage springers. She had the first year (96) red and white (swoosch tank model) with the long stringing bags. One of the most beautiful bikes I think Harley every built. She road it for over 40K and we never had one issue, then traded it and bought her another springer. She is on her 3rd streetglide now. (I totaled her #2 streetglide) one of those milkshake rides that didn 't end up good.:blah:
Jocko; I got the Springer Classic, black forks. Can't tell the difference until somewhere after 90mph. Think a Streetglide would be my next choice.

jocko
03-05-2012, 06:56 PM
I just stay away from 90 mph, but I know what ur saying. U would love the streetglide IMO, I have had a half dozen of them between the wife and I. I love my satellit radio inb my screamin eagle streetglide 2010 model (spiced rum color) I loved to ride thewifes heritage springer until I road a street glide. apples and oranges...

jimbar
03-05-2012, 08:07 PM
Shortly after HD came out with the trike, I was at my local dealer, and came out to get on my ride (87 Glide). there was a new trike, and a gentleman standing on the sidewalk looking at it. I commented it was a great looking bike, and I might have to get one later in my riding life. He said, yeah, that one's mine, I just turned 86, and my legs were getting too weak to hold up my old bike anymore, so this lets me ride as long as I want.
I guess there's hope for us old bikers after all.

jocko
03-05-2012, 08:10 PM
so good to hear that. not sure I will ever get into a trike, as much as I love to ride, anything with more than two wheels is not amotorcycle, for me anyway. Just sayin.

jimbar
03-05-2012, 08:29 PM
I agree, but at least HD put the wheels in the right place,LOL, have you seen those Can-Am Spyders ? That is one butt-ugly cycle.