PDA

View Full Version : Finally got my 638 back!

MW surveyor
03-06-2012, 03:39 PM
Sorry that it has taken so long to get back with an update but it was not my fault! Really.

The 638 got to S&W on the 14th of Feb and they had it repaired by the 17th. When they sent it back to my LGS, S&W sent it with just my name and did not include the name of the LGS. Suffice to say that the gun went back to S&W. I finally got back to the US at the end of Feb. and called S&W last week. "Oh, yeah we got it back where do you want us to send it?" Asked why they did not email me as in the documentation that I put in with the gun requested that they do so. Answer - We don't have time to email everyone due to the amount of work going on.

Well, in any event the 636 made it back to me today. Only thing on the work order stated - Replaced the cylinder.

You can believe that I checked each of the bores in the cylinder with a 357 round. NO GO! So it's fixed.

Got the Wolf spring kit in on Monday and after checking out the cylinder, did a quick polish of the internals and put the 8 lb. main spring and 13 lb trigger return spring in. Way big difference in the perceived pull weight (I don't have a trigger gauge). The trigger return is also much smoother now. Will be testing the gun tomorrow with various ammo to ensure reliability.

No I did not lube it with white lithium grease either. :behindsofa:

Barth
03-06-2012, 03:51 PM
Sorry that it has taken so long to get back with an update but it was not my fault! Really.

The 638 got to S&W on the 14th of Feb and they had it repaired by the 17th. When they sent it back to my LGS, S&W sent it with just my name and did not include the name of the LGS. Suffice to say that the gun went back to S&W. I finally got back to the US at the end of Feb. and called S&W last week. "Oh, yeah we got it back where do you want us to send it?" Asked why they did not email me as in the documentation that I put in with the gun requested that they do so. Answer - We don't have time to email everyone due to the amount of work going on.

Well, in any event the 686 made it back to me today. Only thing on the work order stated - Replaced the cylinder.

You can believe that I checked each of the bores in the cylinder with a 357 round. NO GO! So it's fixed.

Got the Wolf spring kit in on Monday and after checking out the cylinder, did a quick polish of the internals and put the 8 lb. main spring and 13 lb trigger return spring in. Way big difference in the perceived pull weight (I don't have a trigger gauge). The trigger return is also much smoother now. Will be testing the gun tomorrow with various ammo to ensure reliability.

No I did not lube it with white lithium grease either. :behindsofa:

Good news for sure.
Just got my two j-frames back with their new stainless steel, custom, smooth, rounded, combat triggers.
The triggers are awesome.

Had the gunsmith try them out on a trigger gauge.
The S&W 342 it surprised me. It feels really light, but pulls 10lbs?
Apparently the alloy guns just don't get as light?

S&W 640-1 was 8.5 lbs.
Fired a box of Winchester PDX1 357s.
Gun shoots deadly accurate at POA.
Also kicks like a mule.

The 686 was a typo right?
I keep thinking I might have a 686 plus 3" gun in my future - LOL.

MW surveyor
03-06-2012, 03:57 PM
The 686 was a typo right?
I keep thinking I might have a 686 plus 3" gun in my future - LOL.

Yep!

There is a thread somewhere that getting the alloy framed guns down below 10 lb is really tough.

ltxi
03-06-2012, 05:17 PM
Not really. Mine have always come in between eight and eight and a half pounds. Same as my steel framed J-frames. And I'm merely competent at trigger work.....not even close to a really good smith.

My M&P 340 is higher than that, but I haven't polished the lockwork.....with that I could cut back on the rebound spring weight. Might not bother. I've decided I really don't care for the current production gun's internals.