PDA

View Full Version : New P9 FTE every round/Bad Grip, Thanks for the help

Mako
02-07-2010, 12:06 PM
Just bought this a week ago and first time at the range yesterday. I ran (2) 50 round boxes of Winchester 115 gr FMJ and every shell failed to eject. I thought it just needed to loosen up because my P380 had issues at first but not this bad. Any suggestions?

jeep45238
02-07-2010, 12:59 PM
Verify the recoil spring is inserted properly. Open end towards the muzzle, closed towards the chamber.

jocko
02-07-2010, 01:25 PM
Just bought this a week ago and first time at the range yesterday. I ran (2) 50 round boxes of Winchester 115 gr FMJ and every shell failed to eject. I thought it just needed to loosen up because my P380 had issues at first but not this bad. Any suggestions?

Never heard of this before, "every round FTE". try this. load the magazine use the slide lock lever to load that first round and see ifyou can manualy eject the round by racking back the slide "fast". Do check that recoil spring and make sure it is on correctly but I don't think that wold cause total FTE every time either.

Have you let someone else try to shoot the gun also to eliminate any possably chance of limping the gun. Again I just doubt this is happening also, not when you say you had 100 rounds of FTE"s. You may have a bad extractor or a missing/broken ejector also. Look to see if that is in place. Doing what I ask above will tell you/show if you have q missing ejector or possable a bad extractor.

I will PM u alsol.

Mako
02-08-2010, 11:17 AM
Checked the spring and it looks OK. I wonder why the spring isn't finished (closed) on both ends? Also filled the mag, chambered the first with the slide locked back. Everyone ejected fine when I manually pulled the slide. The "limping the gun" I'm not sure of. I will take it back to the range and let someone else fire it.

jeep45238
02-08-2010, 11:19 AM
Most are not.

ripley16
02-08-2010, 11:25 AM

Can you describe the symptom in better detail. What exactly is occuring to the case? Is it extracted fully and then hung up, and if so in what way?

Does it manually eject a spent case?

Does the extractor grab the rim correctly and pull a spent case out?

Are the cases being crushed?

Mako
02-08-2010, 02:23 PM
Ok.....my wrist was letting the gun kick up and was my biggest problem. The range guy fired the gun and had a couple of FTE. I went ahead and shot another 100 rounds of the same stuff and very few fte but they were still happening. The guy at the range said it should be OK just need to run more ammo through it.

Mako
02-08-2010, 02:29 PM
Ripley16, the bullet fires but the casing wouldn't completely eject and when the new round moved up it would jam the spent casing against the slide. The casings are being crushed. Holding my wrist stiffer greatly helped but still having fte just not as frequent

jocko
02-08-2010, 02:56 PM
Ok.....my wrist was letting the gun kick up and was my biggest problem. The range guy fired the gun and had a couple of FTE. I went ahead and shot another 100 rounds of the same stuff and very few fte but they were still happening. The guy at the range said it should be OK just need to run more ammo through it.

tend to agree with the range guy and you yourself have eliminated about 95% of the issues by knowing that your grip was not positive. I do think the gun will shoot itself reliable but a gun and shooter must mate up correctly to. IMO u did the right thing in letting someone else shoot the gun. that indeed did tell you something.. You have not had it very long either, so be patient with it and yourself..

ripley16
02-08-2010, 03:36 PM
The gun must be fine. Try adjusting your grip. Read through this article. It is pretty good in explaining a good tight combat grip.
The Combat Handgun Grip (http://www.handgunsmag.com/tactics_training/combatg_100306/)

Also, make sure you've cleaned and lubed the gun well. This is one of the best set of pistol maintenance vids I've seen. Maybe they will help too.
SIG SAUER (http://www.sigsauer.com/CustomerService/MaintenanceGuides.aspx)

Mako
02-09-2010, 01:01 PM
2 great web sites. I apreciate all the advice from everyone.

jeep45238
02-09-2010, 04:31 PM
YouTube - 2 handed recoil management.m4v (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcRQ1J-GilE)

That should be enough of a tutorial to learn how to keep this from happening in the future :)