PDA

View Full Version : Is there one in the chamber?

ptoemmes
03-07-2012, 10:25 PM
Really happened and not too far from where I live.

How many things can you pick out that were not "done" correctly?

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/crime/fl-mma-fighter-road-rage-arrested-20120306,0,4571369.story

Pete

TriggerMan
03-07-2012, 10:56 PM
Really happened and not too far from where I live.

How many things can you pick out that were not "done" correctly?

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/crime/fl-mma-fighter-road-rage-arrested-20120306,0,4571369.story

Pete

1. When driving, focus on that and not your cell phone
2. Carry your gun loaded
3. Let the passenger call the police and keep your car moving. Drive to a police station if you can
4. When you stop, leaver the window up, doors locked.

dirtkicker
03-08-2012, 08:58 PM
Had the situation not allowed me to drive away. that fella walking up to my truck w/ a gun would have been shot. One in the chamber at all times.

I don't really understand why some do not carry one in the chamber but thats me and I really don't understand why you would switch back and forth.

BrewerGeorge
03-08-2012, 10:41 PM
... and I really don't understand why you would switch back and forth.
That's the biggest error, IMO. I think there are sometimes valid reasons for carrying Condition Three (not many, but some). But if you're going to choose that method, for God's sake, stick with it all the time. I believe that we should try to make the draw and presentation sequence as identical as possible. Obviously some differences are unavoidable - revolver vs auto for instance - but voluntarily introducing an unnecessary variable is crazy.

Jeffw78
03-09-2012, 11:58 AM
Always one in the chamber unless it's being cleaned.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?qoizns

muggsy
03-09-2012, 01:29 PM
That's the biggest error, IMO. I think there are sometimes valid reasons for carrying Condition Three (not many, but some). But if you're going to choose that method, for God's sake, stick with it all the time. I believe that we should try to make the draw and presentation sequence as identical as possible. Obviously some differences are unavoidable - revolver vs auto for instance - but voluntarily introducing an unnecessary variable is crazy.

George, just out of curiosity, what's a valid reason for carrying a gun with an empty chamber? I can't think of one.

BrewerGeorge
03-09-2012, 08:41 PM
George, just out of curiosity, what's a valid reason for carrying a gun with an empty chamber? I can't think of one.
Kids would be the first one. Years ago when my kids were really small a G22 was my nightstand and occasional carry gun (along with a Beretta 85). As an additional safety step, I left the Glock chamber empty and trigger back, knowing that little hands couldn't cycle the slide even if they could somehow get into the drawer safe and get it out. Back then I trained to rack the slide immediately after picking it up. On the rare occasions that I carried it, I would leave it in that condition so everything was consistent. In the same vein, I would carry the 85 with safety off and empty chamber, and racking it would load the round and set the hammer back for SA mode. This was a move backwards in readiness from the way I had carried earlier before I met my wife. It was a conscious decision that I made after weighing the consequences of the extra 1/2 second to rack the slide vs the added safety for the kids, and the chance of ever needing it defensively vs the chance that a kid could get her hands on the guns (both minute). As they aged to the point of being taught about guns, and gained the hand strength to cycle the slide anyway, that all became moot and I went back to chambered.

Other instances I can think of off the top of my head would be that a job requires it - say a security guard whose employer requires it, or the military. IIRC, the gate guards at the Naval base in Orlando had to be chamber empty. I'm not positive because I never stood that watch, but I remember making fun of them for it.

Finally, some people are just going to be more comfortable that way. It's usually an emotional decision, admittedly, but if it helps somebody carry who would otherwise not I think it's a net positive. An unchambered weapon is far from ideal, but it's better than no weapon at all.

muggsy
04-10-2012, 10:54 PM
Kids would be the first one. Years ago when my kids were really small a G22 was my nightstand and occasional carry gun (along with a Beretta 85). As an additional safety step, I left the Glock chamber empty and trigger back, knowing that little hands couldn't cycle the slide even if they could somehow get into the drawer safe and get it out. Back then I trained to rack the slide immediately after picking it up. On the rare occasions that I carried it, I would leave it in that condition so everything was consistent. In the same vein, I would carry the 85 with safety off and empty chamber, and racking it would load the round and set the hammer back for SA mode. This was a move backwards in readiness from the way I had carried earlier before I met my wife. It was a conscious decision that I made after weighing the consequences of the extra 1/2 second to rack the slide vs the added safety for the kids, and the chance of ever needing it defensively vs the chance that a kid could get her hands on the guns (both minute). As they aged to the point of being taught about guns, and gained the hand strength to cycle the slide anyway, that all became moot and I went back to chambered.

Other instances I can think of off the top of my head would be that a job requires it - say a security guard whose employer requires it, or the military. IIRC, the gate guards at the Naval base in Orlando had to be chamber empty. I'm not positive because I never stood that watch, but I remember making fun of them for it.

Finally, some people are just going to be more comfortable that way. It's usually an emotional decision, admittedly, but if it helps somebody carry who would otherwise not I think it's a net positive. An unchambered weapon is far from ideal, but it's better than no weapon at all.

My father was a gunsmith and taught me from a very early age that every gun is a loaded gun. If I had an employer who required me to carry a gun with an empty chamber, I find another job. If I wasn't comfortable carrying a fully loaded firearm I'd hire a body guard. To me there is no valid reason for carrying a gun with an empty chamber. An unloaded gun can get you killed.

Krusty
04-11-2012, 02:41 AM
I met a middle aged male in the ER last night, he got robbed and pistol whipped by two men.He was in Fort Lauderdale withdrawing money from an ATM . They must have cased him because when he went back in his car,one of the Robbers jumped in the back seat and assaulted the man. The victim tried to get his Revolver out of the Glovebox but failed to do so because he got choked and beaten over the head with a gun. The second Robber jumped in the passenger seat and finished the assault. He got wacked in the head ,robbed of his car, money and gun.Lucky he got away with just some bruises and did not get seriously injured. He told me that the assault was overwhelming and he had no chance to defend himself. My take on this, use your debit card instead of cash and be aware of your surroundings at all times.Easy to say, after it happened to someone else!:mad:

chrish
04-11-2012, 10:16 AM
I met a middle aged male in the ER last night, he got robbed and pistol whipped by two men.He was in Fort Lauderdale withdrawing money from an ATM . They must have cased him because when he went back in his car,one of the Robbers jumped in the back seat and assaulted the man. The victim tried to get his Revolver out of the Glovebox but failed to do so because he got choked and beaten over the head with a gun. The second Robber jumped in the passenger seat and finished the assault. He got wacked in the head ,robbed of his car, money and gun.Lucky he got away with just some bruises and did not get seriously injured. He told me that the assault was overwhelming and he had no chance to defend himself. My take on this, use your debit card instead of cash and be aware of your surroundings at all times.Easy to say, after it happened to someone else!:mad:

That is REALLY scary and unfortunately the way it seems to go down more often than not. Even armed, you need to be aware, very aware of your surroundings. I never go to the ATM at night anymore, did it in my younger days in the downtown area of town, pretty stupid. Never thought twice about it. But if there is something I need at night, and I can't do it inside a store or via debit/credit card...I don't need it that bad. Prevention, Prevention, Prevention.

Those guys must have come out of nowhere or it was a super closed quarters area they were hiding in to have pulled that off, or the guy was just totally NOT paying attention to where he was and who was around.

Last, having one in the glovebox (only) is as dangerous as carrying w/o a round chambered. Might as well have left the gun at home.

jocko
04-11-2012, 10:36 AM
WOW. working anyplace that requires u to carry a gun but they requires it to be unloaded. Two words: fokk um!!!

OldLincoln
04-11-2012, 11:12 AM
I do not use an ATM but have seen many. Most outside machines I've seen front a parking lot where cars can pull up within only a few feet away. Now days I see more of them inside markets so at least you can be safe getting your money. Exiting you are like the other shoppers unless there was a lookout spotting you.

Cokeman
04-11-2012, 09:00 PM

There are still ATMs and people still use them? I've never used one before. :001_huh:

Barth
04-12-2012, 09:07 AM
There are still ATMs and people still use them? I've never used one before. :001_huh:

Seems like it's been years since I used one - LOL!

Krusty
04-12-2012, 09:39 AM
If the situation arises to defend your life then better not wasting another 1/2 second chambering a round. If you have a ftf or any other problem at that moment you are in big dudu. Always one in the spout and ready to go!

bapple
04-16-2012, 12:26 AM
This reminds me of my friends who were shocked to find out that my carry gun doesn't have a safety.

I said, "the best safety is right here," and pointed to my head.

My finger is never on the trigger unless I'm ready to fire. So for me... condition 1, 24/7.