PDA

View Full Version : New loading press!

Ken_K
03-08-2012, 08:46 AM
Just got my Hornady Lock-N-Load press in yesterday. Until now I've been loading 9mm, 45acp, and .308 on a single stage press. I'm very impressed with the overall build quality of the Hornady, it far exceeds anything that Lee makes. I cranked out a couple hundred rounds in about 30 mins with a few problems (which were my fault lol). The more I got used to the press the faster it was going. I'm about to be adding 5.56 to the lineup so this thing is going to be a life saver!

eshane
03-08-2012, 08:59 AM
Nice! I've been looking at the lock-n-load myself. It's definitely in my wish list. Glad to hear its working out well for you.

Bawanna
03-08-2012, 09:12 AM
I've had mine about a year I guess, it's sweet. I used a single stage for many many years and it's so nice to crank out so many good quality reloads without spending all day doing it.
It took me a little while to get it set up and adjusted properly but once I got it dialed in we're cranking em out.

I had planned to load nothing but 45acp on it and not do any switching since that's what I mostly shoot but I got bushings and stuff, I might use it for others as well. Still have the ole Rock Chucker mounted and ready at the other end of the bench. It's running mate now lives in California with Old Lincoln.

Ken_K
03-08-2012, 09:38 AM
I'm going to get some more bushings and metering inserts to speed up caliber changes. I'm still going to use my single stage for .308 since I do case prep.

Bawanna, how accurate is your powder measure? With power pistol and w231 mine is VERY accurate and consistent with +/- 1/10th grain.

Bawanna
03-08-2012, 10:07 AM
I'm going to get some more bushings and metering inserts to speed up caliber changes. I'm still going to use my single stage for .308 since I do case prep.

Bawanna, how accurate is your powder measure? With power pistol and w231 mine is VERY accurate and consistent with +/- 1/10th grain.

We must be twins separated at birth. W231 is the only powder that's ever been in the Lock N Load press and the measure is very consistent, easily +/- the 1/20th grain.

I too only use the single stage for rifle which I rarely if ever reload. When I do I weigh charges individually, put alot more effort into them with case prep, primer pockets etc. With my son having a accurate 308 sniper type rifle and me wanting one, mostly cause he had one I may get back into rifle a bit more.

Bill K
03-08-2012, 10:13 AM
About how long, with the amount of shooting you do, before you break even on the cost of the loader? I wish I had started reloading decades ago but now @ near 68 years old and with a brother that does reloading it doesn't make sense for me.

Thanks...

Bawanna
03-08-2012, 10:28 AM
To me it almost as much satisfaction in shooting my own home rolled loads that I made myself. In the early days it was an effort to beat factory which in most cases is very hard to do.

I only get to shoot once or twice a month but I wouldn't be able to do that much without reloading.

If your brother loads for you, and you trust him as a brother should your in good shape I'd say.

It's a fun hobby, something to do to play with your guns when you can't be shooting them.

Bill K
03-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Yes, my brother has been reloading now for ~40 years. He does my .380, some 9mm, .44 Special and .44mag range ammo for me. There isn't much savings on the nines as I'm able to get factory ball ammo @ 0.20 a round. It used to be a sideline money maker for him when he was on the job but now it is a break even (or less) for just himself, family and close friends.

Bawanna
03-08-2012, 10:49 AM
Break even or less? I've broke my cost down before and I was almost always about half or less the cost of factory. Can't include your time and I never calculated in the cost of the equipment.

Buying in bulk and shopping helps make the numbers look better too.

Most say the more you save the more you shoot anyhow so savings isn't really a factor anyhow.

Bill K
03-08-2012, 11:16 AM
Break even or less meaning he'll reload for the cost of components and will often just give some ammo away. An example is he'll give me a box of .45 because he knows a neighbor of mine shoots 1911's. My neighbor will come over and we'll shoot his 1911 with my brother's .45 reloads given to us.

Things will even out over time. This afternoon for example I'm going to pick up an 8 round McCormick Power Mag for his officer sized Kimber. I'll hand it to him, when I see him next, and refuse to let him pay for the mag. Hell sometime later give me ammo or something else and not let me pay him. Now with HIS twin brother it is a whole different story. :)

Bawanna
03-08-2012, 11:18 AM
Break even or less meaning he'll reload for the cost of components and will often just give some ammo away. An example is he'll give me a box of .45 because he knows a neighbor of mine shoots 1911's. My neighbor will come over and we'll shoot his 1911 with my brother's .45 reloads given to us.

Things will even out over time. This afternoon for example I'm going to pick up an 8 round McCormick Power Mag for his officer sized Kimber. I'll hand it to him, when I see him next, and refuse to let him pay for the mag. Hell sometime later give me ammo or something else and not let me pay him. Now with HIS twin brother it is a whole different story. :)

Sounds like you guys are just like me and none of us are gonna die rich. Oh well we'll be happy, I hope.

Ken_K
03-08-2012, 11:26 AM
I load 45acp for just under $4 a box of 50. That includes buying once fired brass, primers, powder, and lead for casting my own bullets. $80 a 1k isn't too bad and if you figure in how many times I can load a piece of brass the price drops to around $65 per 1k. I shoot almost every weekend and sometimes after work during the week. After a crappy day some tin cans and steel plates MUST DIE! :86: Lol.

OldLincoln
03-08-2012, 11:35 AM
It's running mate now lives in California with Old Lincoln.

And a fine home it has, thanks to the generosity of Bawanna! I can't imagine using a progressive, there's a lot going on and with my volume I'd be done before I warmed up. But I've seen the videos and like mechanical things and for those who reload a lot can see the advantage.

Ken_K
03-08-2012, 11:57 AM
OldLincoln: When I took the press out of the box last night I started to think that I might have gotten in over my head lol. It's actually a simple machine and really easy to set up. If your loading for one caliber you can just set it up and leave it. If want to crank out 100 rounds or so just sit down for a few minutes before you head to the range.

air8
03-08-2012, 04:07 PM
Bawanna, why do you use single stage for rifle only? Accuracy?

Bawanna
03-08-2012, 04:15 PM
Bawanna, why do you use single stage for rifle only? Accuracy?

I give a lot more attention to detail when I load rifle. I weigh every powder charge, clean primer pockets, check the case mouth more closely. If I was loading for an AR or something where I was gonna just go out and blast away I'd fire up the progressive in a minute.

That is one thing I do like about the Hornady LockNLOad you can take the case out at any stage and look things over, double check etc.

I think the Hornady loads accurately enough that one could certainly turn out really good quality rifle ammo. I just don't load enough to warrant it at this point.

I guess the normal person short answer to your question would be yes.

CJB
03-08-2012, 04:25 PM
I got mine when it was just a "Projector" press. Pretty much the same except for the primer tubes being a little different.

I added some custom touches - hopper on the scale, auto powder and other other items not found on more "modern" presses.

air8
03-08-2012, 06:44 PM
Hey the more info the better. I'm considering starting to reload. I shoot about once a week, over 500 rounds at least. Both pistols are 9mm and soon gonna build an AR. So progressive loaders are what I'm researching.

Bawanna
03-08-2012, 07:09 PM
Many many people like and run the Dillon progressives. I was set to go that route for long time, good stuff and pretty girls in their little catalogs but I did some research and found the Hornady more to my liking. It advances in half step increments which is kind of nice and it's real scookum.

I wish I hadn't tossed all my research notes, kind of a pros and cons list. Don't remember most of the contributing factors to my choosing the Hornady.

Both Dillon and Hornady are very good for parts replacement or warranty work, that sort of thing. The ram on mine broke after about a 100 rounds, I sent an email and they sent me a new part and a couple spare springs etc quickly. Sent a followup email to make sure I got it installed ok and wasn't having any problems. Nice.

Ken_K
03-08-2012, 10:25 PM
I liked the Dillon also but the cost of the caliber conversions was so high it would break me to set up for 45, 9, and 5.56. I do have their powder scale that is awesome though.