PDA

View Full Version : Wet gun mystery

scotty_MK9
03-12-2012, 02:25 PM
Ok something weird had been happening with my smith and wesson 640. I just bought this gun used, it is an old 90's model so it all stainless and 38 special.

Here what i cant figure out and seeing if anyone else has had this happen... I carry it iwb front side about 1 o'clock. Last few times i have taken it out when i get home it has been wet. Little drops of water like substence around the nose and cylinder. I live in washington and its kinda cold right now so i wouldnt think it would be humidity like on a hot day.

I also tried carrying for only 15 min and took it out to see and sure enough it was wet on outside of gun. I dont sweat much either so i know its not that. Also its pretty dry as far as lube goes cuz i cleaned it last week then wiped the access lube down. Holster is made by Quest and its not leather.

P.S. Im also potty trained so im pretty sure its not pee. : )

Any ideas what could be causing this??? I looked on internet and havent seen anything simalar..

TucsonMTB
03-12-2012, 03:09 PM
Probably condensation on the cool gun surfaces of the admittedly very small amount of extra moisture your body contributes to the air close to it.

ripley16
03-12-2012, 03:15 PM
A weeping gun...hmmmm????

Your gun is allergic to you. Try a different soap.;)

Or...

Take it to a priest for an exorcism, or apply for sainthood, one of those applies.:19:

Bawanna
03-12-2012, 04:01 PM
Has to be condensation. Guns don't weep, well the guns I don't own yet probably weep until I give them a happy home.

Is the gun cold when you put it in your pocket, like from a garage or something?

I know you take a cold rifle out hunting and bring it inside a warm tent or trailer etc and it will be soaking wet in no time. We used to just leave them outside to prevent that.

I'm not understanding it doing that in your pocket but has to be a similar phenomonon. Anybody know how to spell phenomonen. Phenomine, I give up.

kerby9mm
03-12-2012, 04:14 PM
This whole thread IS ALL WET

scotty_MK9
03-12-2012, 04:25 PM
Haha hopefully my gun isnt crying, i try to take good care of her... I keep the gun in a safe at room temperature, but it can get a little cold at night because i dont have the heat on when im sleeping.

I dont pocket carry this gun i appendix carry so i dunno if that makes difference... Also i have carried many other guns same way in same holster and none of the did that.

Freakin weird... Im more worried of pre mature rust then anything. Im glad i noticed rite away the few times its happened or else it would have gone back in the safe all wet!

TucsonMTB
03-12-2012, 04:36 PM
Heck, I installed a thin plastic sweat shield on my paddle holster for my plastic PM40 because it picked up moisture on the grip while being carried under an outer garment. We hairless humans are much better sources of water vapor than most people realize. ;)

scotty_MK9
03-12-2012, 06:46 PM
Ya that makes sense, but its weird that even only after 15 min its wet. And like i said i dont sweat much even on hot days...

CJB
03-12-2012, 07:02 PM
Perspiration condensation.... very common.

JFootin
03-12-2012, 07:21 PM
I am going to treat my newly Duracoated 638 with Flitz Gun Wax. Something like that might help fight any rusting.

muggsy
03-13-2012, 04:45 AM
I am going to treat my newly Duracoated 638 with Flitz Gun Wax. Something like that might help fight any rusting.

We used to Simonize the metal on our guns. Wax is great for protecting a guns finish. It isn't hydroscopic like oil is. I use it on my CM9. It gives it that new Kahr smell. :)

Diocoles
03-13-2012, 07:40 AM
Never seen that happen.

I have worried a bit about condensation when taking my guns in from the cold.
I always let them warm up in the ambient air.
Never seen any obvious condensation though.

Helps to live in Colorado though. Very low humidity usually.

Ken_K
03-13-2012, 07:45 AM
Is the gun pretty cold when you first put it on? If it's going from cold to warm pretty quick (like carrying IWB) it very well could be condensation building up.

scotty_MK9
03-13-2012, 02:34 PM
Well it usually maybe a little cold. Its kept in a safe in bedroom and i dont notice it bein too chilly. Its gotta be condensation from my body... But its weird that thats the only gun that gets wet because it never happens with my mk9/pm9

getsome
03-13-2012, 02:55 PM
You might try the new Depends shorts with the built in appendix carry holster guarenteed to keep you and your little friend nice and comfy dry...:D

scotty_MK9
03-13-2012, 02:59 PM
Getsome-

Its not pee i havent wet my pants for almost a year now!

scotty_MK9
03-13-2012, 03:01 PM
That is a good idea tho. Could be a special niche for elderly cocealed carry haha

getsome
03-13-2012, 03:08 PM
I wear um but don't tell anybody especially that sicko Jocko...I'm told they make my butt look good...:roll:

muggsy
03-14-2012, 06:27 AM
I wear um but don't tell anybody especially that sicko Jocko...I'm told they make my butt look good...:roll:

Jocko has been keeping an eye on your butt for some time now.

Tinman507
03-14-2012, 06:39 AM
Tactical Depends?

http://policelink.monster.com/nfs/policelink/photos/0213/7027/Camo_Diaper_max600.jpg

WMD
03-14-2012, 06:41 AM
If you trade it in for a PM9 you won't have that problem. ;) (yes you will, I am only kidding!)

In all seriousness, I think CJB is right on. It is definitely condensation. We are water cooled mammals as opposed to dogs & cats which are air cooled. :D