PDA

View Full Version : FrontSight training-but not with PM sized guns?

DaveInCA
03-15-2012, 04:44 PM
My wife and I just got back from the FrontSight 4 day handgun course.
It was a blast, even though the temps in the morning were about 34, and the wind was blowing a good 30-35 mph. I kept telling myself that it was better than freezing rain or 115 degrees in the summer.
It turns out they have a new minimum gun size policy. They have always had a "no pocket pistol" policy for anything that is .380 or smaller, but their new policy is that they have a card with the silhouette of a Glock 26 and they put your gun on top of it. If it is smaller, it is not allowed. I brought my PM9 with me, and they weren't going to let me train with it. After going up the chain two more levels I was able to get an exception made. I made the case that I could shoot better with my PM9 than most guys using a full size handgun, and that this is the gun I carry, and that's the gun I should train with. I also let them know I had two full size backup guns, and if the PM9 wasn't working out I would use one of them instead.
Short story is I learned tons, and I need more practice. Some of they guys there were amazing. I ended up about smack in the middle of the class on the final testing.
Both my wife and I have the lifetime membership and my wife surprised me, she wants to go back again, but maybe next year. I might not be able to wait that long.

Bill K
03-15-2012, 05:37 PM
Good for you guys. I think I'd be to intimidated to go to one of those training courses even believing that it would likely be very beneficial.

knkali
03-15-2012, 06:19 PM
really? I have been really checking this place out. Is it all that for $$$. What happened to "any gun will do if you do" motto or something like that. Glad you had a good time but it is costly and by the time I travel there get a hotel $$$$ therefore I have not been quick to act. How many rounds did you send down range in 4 days?

PYROhafe
03-15-2012, 07:01 PM
I don't understand the rule against small guns.... what does that accomplish?

Thunder71
03-15-2012, 07:09 PM
Makes no sense to me, should always train with and how you carry. They are Glock happy.

Sent using Tapatalk on Android

TheTman
03-15-2012, 08:05 PM
Me and my brother paid a very small fee for a 4 day course a couple years ago, but have never used them. We can never agree on a time to go. I know the "commandant" carries a Glock, and they are mentioned as one of the more popular pistols there.

Bayou
03-15-2012, 08:50 PM
I'd guess there is a minimum gun size due to reliability issues. If you have a shooter who's gun keeps malfunctioning it can slow the whole class down. Bigger guns tend to be easier to shoot and more forgiving.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?rh5jlp

Kiehtan
03-15-2012, 09:27 PM
I signed up for some Front Sight info a few weeks back, and now I'm being inundated with emails. The marketing reeks S-C-A-M, and reminds me of USCCA, which I'm also hesitent about. I'm glad to hear that it's actually a legit organization (despite their sketchy marketing) and that you had a great experience. I'm signed up to take MAG-40 in August and I must say, I'm extemely excited about the prospect of training with Mas Ayoob.

DaveInCA
03-16-2012, 09:21 AM
really? I have been really checking this place out. Is it all that for $$$. What happened to "any gun will do if you do" motto or something like that. Glad you had a good time but it is costly and by the time I travel there get a hotel $$$$ therefore I have not been quick to act. How many rounds did you send down range in 4 days?

We went through about 650-700 rounds each. I travel a lot for work, and I was able to use my "points" for the hotel, and I drove out there.
Our memberships were only $200 each, so I figure only 2 or 3 trips would be well worth it. We also took our nephew with us, and we only had to pay $70 for the 4 day course. There are deals out there, don't pay the web prices.
It looks like they are still allowing camping with motor homes or trailers on the lot outside the facility but no hookups or toilets.

DaveInCA
03-16-2012, 09:33 AM
I don't understand the rule against small guns.... what does that accomplish?
There were challenges with using a small gun. Many folks can't hit the broad side of a barn with a short barrel. In addition, much of the course was learning the drills. Once you learn them, you are encouraged to practice them on all your guns. Learning how to draw from concealment, do tactical reloads, emergency reloads and clear the 3 main malfunctions is just plain easier to do on a full size gun.
Even so, I'm a firm believer that if I train with the worst case everything else will seem easier by comparison.
I had to give up my Crossbreed Mini-Tuck for the course and use an outside belt holster. It just sat to low even on the highest screw holes to allow a full combat grip on drawing, and it was also difficult to re-holster as the waistband would fold over into the top of it.

Thunder71
03-16-2012, 09:40 AM
So essentially their standards are that you train using methods other than what you will do when you return.

Not sure how this is beneficial.

I understand there are safety concerns, but maybe a better approach would be more individualistic sessions rather than a cattle boat method, do they offer something like this?

DaveInCA
03-16-2012, 09:40 AM
Good for you guys. I think I'd be to intimidated to go to one of those training courses even believing that it would likely be very beneficial.

They had all levels there, from one person who had never fired a gun to one guy who just smoked the entire course. He finished the final exam with a perfect score. The instructors really did a good job making it fun for all levels.
The biggest thing was safety. Check the gun, clear the gun, check the gun again, check the magwell, finger off the trigger, into the holster slow.
It was a tough schedule though. First day was from 6:30am - 6PM, and after that 7:30 - 5:30 or 6pm.

DaveInCA
03-16-2012, 10:01 AM
I signed up for some Front Sight info a few weeks back, and now I'm being inundated with emails. The marketing reeks S-C-A-M, and reminds me of USCCA, which I'm also hesitent about. I'm glad to hear that it's actually a legit organization (despite their sketchy marketing) and that you had a great experience. I'm signed up to take MAG-40 in August and I must say, I'm extemely excited about the prospect of training with Mas Ayoob.

I have my concerns also. My nephew got 40 hours of training for $70, how can they make money on that? It looks like they sell a lot of future training certificates and if everyone cashed in on them I don't see how they could keep up with it. I think they have 14 or 15 ranges now, and the ones I was on can do 40 students at a time. I guesstimated about 250 students in the lecture hall first day for the mid-week class.
I figure if I can get at least 2 or 3 training sessions in I'll be happy, I'll try and do them quickly just in case.
Now the Mag-40 would be just plain awesome. I might just have to put that on my "bucket list":D
Also, they have an ammo distributor on-site now. Prices are decent, 1000 rounds of 9mm S&B for $227. That would be handy for those flying in.