PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried the bump fire stocks for AR/AK

TheTman
03-19-2012, 02:59 PM
I wondered if anyone has tried the bump fire stock for the AR, and how they liked it. They have just come out with one for the AK, which I believe will work with my Maadi RPM AKM, which had a thumbhole stock added and was sold as a MAK-90. It does have the square cut receiver where it meets the stock, unlike the slant cut on the Norinco's which were the most common MAK-90's at the time. I was told it definately won't work with the Norinco, but I think it will work fine with the Maadi, the customer service folks weren't familiar with the Maadi, but after describing it to them, they thought it would work with it.

Here are some youtube video's.
The Bumpski, seling at $400, which is all metal construction
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldHZFN-UrVs&feature=fvst

And Slide Fire Solutions polymer stock which is just under $300
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZoRECL--40

Either one looks like it would be a lot of fun, handy in a riot situation, and a great way to burn up some old ammo steel core ammo I've stored up.
They are BATF approved, since it has no springs or anything to help it fire, it relies on keeping forward pressure on the stock with your non trigger hand, while holding your trigger hand steady.

Any thoughts?

Thunder71
03-19-2012, 03:03 PM
No, but kind of tempting to get one before they are made illegal by some nitwit.

TheTman
03-19-2012, 03:41 PM
I'd like to see them make one for the Ruger 10/22. That would be the same fun at a much lower price for ammo.

Here is another video showing some targets they shot with the device, seems to have fairly decent accuracy, since you can use your sights and not have to fire from the hip in the old style bump fire way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFVUQru2THo&feature=related

Bawanna
03-19-2012, 03:46 PM
Definitely act now or lose. Only a matter of time before the ban those babies.

I'm really surprised they have lasted this long.

Bawanna
03-19-2012, 03:52 PM
Looks like a fun thing watching the video. Had an AK on my want list for awhile. Never could make up my mind which version and model to get. Always wanted wood furniture but with that bumpfire thing, that would eliminate the wood.

Hmmm, wheels turning. AGAIN.

chipD
03-19-2012, 08:20 PM
Just my opinion, but it looks a little high priced for what it is. I guess you could chalk it up as the price of fun or does it have gold inlay?

jeepster09
03-20-2012, 07:06 AM
When I was at Ahlman's a while ago they gave me one to shoot, very cool, eats ammo :33::53:

jeepster09
03-20-2012, 07:07 AM
Just my opinion, but it looks a little high priced for what it is. I guess you could chalk it up as the price of fun or does it have gold inlay?

Really ?......to get basicly a FULL AUTO AR conversion? :eek: Price seems reasonable to me. Has selector to use bump fire or semi, took a lot of thought to design this correctly.

TheTman
03-21-2012, 06:31 PM
I'm going to a gun show this weekend and see if I can see one in person. Luckily one of my "MAK-90"s has the squared receiver that they say is required to make the thing work. I believe the bump fire stock cost more than my Norinco did originally back in the 90's.

chipD
03-21-2012, 09:04 PM
Don't get me wrong jeepster, I'm not saying don't buy if that is what you want. I am just stating that this piece didn't appear to be made on a CNC from solid aircraft grade aluminum. Most of it from the you tube pictures looked like a stamped piece to me. I could be wrong as I have not seen one in person. It does what it does, it just looks pretty simple and not very expensive to manufacture. I will say it is simply cool though. I have a bike and I know I have over spent to get bolt on parts for it, but I still think in the back of my mind why so much. Because that's the price we will pay for our fun, and it gives us value for what we want it to be or do.

jeepster09
03-22-2012, 06:27 AM
You pay for the R&D and the idea. A better one will cost even more. Just like the drug companies charge for medicine.

chipD
03-22-2012, 07:29 PM
Hi jeepster, I think it's a cool idea, and on a non manufacture note I think over time there is a more then average chance the value would go up. I know from what I have seen since the 80s the tactical firearms market is robust and values have gained more than hunting arms. I will say though that I picked up a bow this winter to hunt next season. This is the first time since the 80s that I have looked at bows and man they just about had to hook an AED up to me. It would be no problem to sink a grand in a bow by the time you get everything you need for it.

flieger67
03-23-2012, 06:55 PM
Really ?......to get basicly a FULL AUTO AR conversion? :eek: Price seems reasonable to me. Has selector to use bump fire or semi, took a lot of thought to design this correctly.

I agree, jeepster09. I thought the Slide Fire seemed fairly reasonable in price and well thought-out.

The range where I shoot has a few Class III firearms and trying to get into anything capable of full-auto fire is several thousand dollars plus a wait of several months for all of the paperwork to get approved before you can then pay a tax stamp and then, finally, get to take your firearm home.

TheTman
03-23-2012, 07:11 PM
I look at it kind of the way I do other purchases, say you bought a TV for $900, 6 months later it's on sale for $600, Do you curse yourself for not waiting, or did you get $300 worth of enjoyment out of the TV the 6 months you already had it? That's how I look at things because as soon as I buy something it goes on sale a month later.

While i doubt the price decreases on the thing, i figure I'll get my moneys worth in fun.

Scoundrel
04-16-2012, 04:27 PM
Bought one, tried it out, not really my style. It's barely even touched. Fired three mags with it. Want one at a discount? http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=12484

Ken_K
04-16-2012, 08:21 PM
I haven't shot one yet but my friend did. He said it was fun for a little bit but you run through ammo quick. It's for sure a cheap way to pretty much have a full auto rifle, you just need deep pockets if you plan on using it more than twice a year lol. Personally I'd rather use the $400 to get a pair of stamps for a SBR and suppressor ;)

Scoundrel
04-19-2012, 07:56 PM
I haven't shot one yet but my friend did. He said it was fun for a little bit but you run through ammo quick. It's for sure a cheap way to pretty much have a full auto rifle, you just need deep pockets if you plan on using it more than twice a year lol. Personally I'd rather use the $400 to get a pair of stamps for a SBR and suppressor ;)

Can't argue with that. But it doesn't take months of waiting, LEO sign-off, or creation of a living trust to get one of these.

Ken_K
04-19-2012, 10:24 PM
Can't argue with that. But it doesn't take months of waiting, LEO sign-off, or creation of a living trust to get one of these.

Getting the sheriff to sign off is easy, hard part is coughing up the money for everything else lol. From what I've been hearing the current wait is approaching 9 months! :mad: I wonder what the slidefire would be like on a 11.5" SBR with asuppressor? :D

Scoundrel
04-19-2012, 10:28 PM
Getting the sheriff to sign off is easy, hard part is coughing up the money for everything else lol. From what I've been hearing the current wait is approaching 9 months! :mad: I wonder what the slidefire would be like on a 11.5" SBR with asuppressor? :D

I heard 6 months, but I think it varies by state. Something about how many examiners are active for a given geographical area, versus how many requests they've got.

In my area, the current sheriff is not signing, so everyone's doing the trust thing. That's easy enough (the LGS selling the NFA stuff makes it super easy - they have a prepared form and are happy to help with the process). The money wasn't such a big deal for me. The hardest part for me is the waiting.

tv_racin_fan
04-20-2012, 05:53 AM
The hard part for me is the cost of the flippin silencer. I am currently doing a bit of research and I believe I am going to build what is known in certain circles as a freeze plug can for a 22lr.

Scoundrel
04-20-2012, 09:50 AM
The hard part for me is the cost of the flippin silencer. I am currently doing a bit of research and I believe I am going to build what is known in certain circles as a freeze plug can for a 22lr.

I know nothing of your engineering background/skills. For me, if I'm going to spend the money and effort to get a silencer, I'm going to want it to be as quiet and as durable as possible - so I'm going to trust the folks who make them professionally to do the best job on it for me.

jocko
04-20-2012, 10:21 AM
Many years back a class 3 dealer offered me a Military pilot model Beretta, that had a screw on silencer on it. the silencer was made by some company in florida and I can remember it came apart and inside was probably 50 rubber disc that the bullet would penetrate before exiting., and it was super super quiet, but after 15 shots the volume picked up alot. It was issued to figther pilots back then and the unique thing about this Beretta also was that it had a single shot lever on it meaning that when the gun was fired with the silencer on that the slide did not operate automaticlly like a normal semi would. The reason told to me back then was that #1 it was even quieter to shoot with the silencer on and #2 no spent brass was left behind. I turned down the offer to buy as I had to pay the FFa fee of $200 to own that gun as it had the sliencer on it and it was serial numbered. The gun would have been OK to sell without the silencer but it was a really cool looking set up, and we shot it, and it was totally quite in the first 10 rounds, U just could not hear it..

Scoundrel
04-20-2012, 10:44 AM
I'm really looking forward to trying out some of my 22s with a silencer. I'll use some wire pulling grease to try and eliminate that "1st round pop", or maybe a CO2 tire inflator and some black tape.

I got the polyurethane bolt buffer for the 10/22 to help with the bolt cycling noise.

TheTman
04-20-2012, 11:18 AM
A friend modified the end of his rifle barrel to accept a small oil filter which proved to make a great silencer. He didn't have to pay 200 for it either.

Scoundrel
04-20-2012, 11:19 AM
A friend modified the end of his rifle barrel to accept a small oil filter which proved to make a great silencer. He didn't have to pay 200 for it either.

But did he have to do 20 when they caught him?

Ken_K
04-20-2012, 11:44 AM
I don't agree with having to pay $200 just to be able to buy a suppressor but if I want one I'll pay it to be legal. There is no since in playing around with something that could get you slapped with a felony charge. Felony = no guns for you, ever. :eek:

Scoundrel
04-20-2012, 11:57 AM
I don't agree with having to pay $200 just to be able to buy a suppressor but if I want one I'll pay it to be legal. There is no since in playing around with something that could get you slapped with a felony charge. Felony = no guns for you, ever. :eek:

Yeah, it sux but once that source of revenue for the government was created, good luck ever getting rid of it.