PDA

View Full Version : +P+ ammo

Dietrich
02-10-2010, 01:53 PM
A lot of modern 9mm handguns are rated for +P ammunition but it seems that very few are rated +P+. I have been told that my G19 can handle these loads and I don`t doubt it.A Glock is tough beyond belief but what are some other brands that can handle these hotter loads? Browning has told me not to use them in my HiPower and I don`t.Same goes for my PM9.Personally,I think that +P loads are powerful enough but I have a friend who keeps buying +P+ and always wants to share them with me.Not complaining mind you,but I was just wondering what brands of guns are rated +P+?

PETE14
02-10-2010, 02:18 PM
What kind of gun is he using them in?

Dietrich
02-10-2010, 02:35 PM
He uses a G17 and a G19.

getsome
02-10-2010, 02:50 PM
Most gun makers don't recommend +P+ because there isnt a standard for +P+ ammo as there is for standard and +P....Any given +P+ charged ammo could be anywhere from +P range to blow the gun up hot...I also don't see the reason for shooting +P+ If 7 or 8 +P 9mm don't get the job done you should have brought some armed friends to the fight....

wyntrout
02-10-2010, 03:06 PM
Looking at the BIG difference between the K9 and the PM9 barrels, I might try some in the K9, but not the PM9. IF, I thought it was necessary. I don't though.
If I ever get the P380N, I hope that the Buffalo Bore will work well for carry, but I don't plan on shooting a whole bunch of that at one time or very often. I do have 8 boxes of that stuff -- 160 rounds, so I can test it and be able to freshen my carry ammo once in awhile. I got some 9mm boxes and cut some BB boxes and taped the labels to them so that I could fit that stuff into a smaller area. I can get 50 of those into a box half the size of the BB. Those boxes will handle .50 S&W Magnum rounds -- one size fits all.:p
Wynn:D

ltxi
02-10-2010, 04:18 PM
Most gun makers don't recommend +P+ because there isnt a standard for +P+ ammo as there is for standard and +P....Any given +P+ charged ammo could be anywhere from +P range to blow the gun up hot...I also don't see the reason for shooting +P+ If 7 or 8 +P 9mm don't get the job done you should have brought some armed friends to the fight....

x2....

jocko
02-10-2010, 04:39 PM
and you also don't see much of the +P+ stuff either. Hell if they labeled a round +++P, guys would think that is a must have. alot of add hype on this stuff guys. I guess we want a round to shoot through the BG and through 4 walls and 2 feet of concrete..

Best buy a 50 cal then and do it right!!

Valkyrie
02-10-2010, 04:55 PM
It seems that often we fall into the trap that faster is better, but that is not always the case. We are lucky that there are more highly effective, self defense loads available than ever before. One would do well to consider something like the Gold Dot round that is designed to expand at low velocity, which gives us an effective load that is also very easy to control.

Unfortunately, many people looking for extremely high velocity are still buying into the myth that you can induce hydrastatic shock with a handgun round. In order to achieve this, it is necessary to bump up velocity up to 2000 fps! Federal is largely resposible for this myth by their ingenious marketing of the orignal Hydra Shok round about twenty years ago. I could shoot the hot stuff in my Bowie Tactical PM9, but the question is why?

ripley16
02-10-2010, 04:58 PM
I was just wondering what brands of guns are rated +P+?

Heckler and Koch are rated to handle +P and +P+. HKs statement on using higher pressure ammo is that it will speed up wear and tear on the gun. A logical conclusion. Kahrs were at their introduction, that is the K9, rated for +P+. I've never carried it in my Kahrs as it slows my follow-up shots. +P is all I can handle these days. :o

jocko
02-10-2010, 04:59 PM
It seems that often we fall into the trap that faster is better, but that is not always the case. We are lucky that there are more highly effective, self defense loads available than ever before. One would do well to consider something like the Gold Dot round that is designed to expand at low velocity, which gives us an effective load that is also very easy to control.

Unfortunately, many people looking for extremely high velocity are still buying into the myth that you can induce hydrastatic shock with a handgun round. In order to achieve this, it is necessary to bump up velocity up to 2000 fps! Federal is largely resposible for this myth by their ingenious marketing of the orignal Hydra Shok round about twenty years ago. I could shoot the hot stuff in my Bowie Tactical PM9, but the question is why?

done me up MY Smith M & P and what a shooter it was. Just took me 6 months to ge tit back. His work is great, He is expensive but he can sure make a Smith M & P dance.. I sold it off though as my G19 tuned did a better job for me and seemed to fit me better even.

jocko
02-10-2010, 05:01 PM

done me up MY Smith M & P and what a shooter it was. Just took me 6 months to ge tit back. His work is great, He is expensive but he can sure make a Smith M & P dance.. I sold it off though as my G19 tuned did a better job for me and seemed to fit me better even.

your right about the commebnts of speed though, but the ol 45 still chugs along at sub 1000 fps and is the gun of choice for many to this day. :rolleyes: humm:rolleyes:

Valkyrie
02-10-2010, 05:11 PM
Jocko,

David is a good guy and a great gunsmith. We have also trained with him at TDI. David has done multiple G19's, our PM9's, my M&P9c and a G26 for us. We both carry either one if his 19's or PM9's daily.

Stay safe and check 360!

jocko
02-10-2010, 05:20 PM
Jocko,

David is a good guy and a great gunsmith. We have also trained with him at TDI. David has done multiple G19's, our PM9's, my M&P9c and a G26 for us. We both carry either one if his 19's or PM9's daily.

Stay safe and check 360!

signe dup for one of his schools, guess at my age, I just got to lazy to do it. I didn't know he did kahrs though. some smitty's don't mess with them. really not much one can do to make the kahr triggers any smoother either.

Valkyrie
02-10-2010, 05:41 PM
Jocko,

Don't want to argue, but Bowie made my PM9 trigger much nicer! That guy can really work his magic on them. Check out his website for pics of Kahrs that he has done, what he can do and prices.

Stay safe and check 360.

Dietrich
02-10-2010, 05:58 PM
I don`t particularly care for +P+ ammunition myself.I don`t care for the recoil and I don`t like the potential wear and tear on my guns but I`m enough of a cheapskate that I can`t turn down free ammo. Even so,I hope he grows out of this phase soon.For the record,my carry rounds are Speer Gold Dot and Golden Saber both in +P and both 124 grain. These rounds work nicely and effectively.

cbroth
03-05-2010, 02:09 PM
I carry RA9TA Winchester Ranger 9mm T-Series 127gr +P+ in my PM9 it is a round I have used for quite sometime with good results. I've had the round tested and the velocity was on par with ammo rated +P. I feel the +P+ is more an advertising ploy then any thing else.

Steve-$
03-05-2010, 06:21 PM
In todays world you need to be careful in what type of ammunition you carry.
I am not interested in explaning to a jury as to why I was using +P+ ammunition in a gun that is only rated +P by the manufacture.
The outcome might be the same as hitting a hornets nest with a broom stick.
In my opinion, it's not a road that I am not interested in going down.

fitpro
08-14-2012, 08:49 AM
If I had known i was going to be in a fight that required +p+, I would have brought a rifle!

jocko
08-14-2012, 10:45 AM
I carry RA9TA Winchester Ranger 9mm T-Series 127gr +P+ in my PM9 it is a round I have used for quite sometime with good results. I've had the round tested and the velocity was on par with ammo rated +P. I feel the +P+ is more an advertising ploy then any thing else.

no sh!it an advertising ploy:popcorn::popcorn:

JimC
08-15-2012, 04:59 AM
FWIW, last year I ran some of the Win. Ranger #RA9TA 127 gr. +P+ over my chronograph thru my PM9.

When compared to the Speer Gold Dot #23611 124 gr. +P HP short barrel load, I found the +P+ loading to be lacking in velocity from the PM9 3.1" bbl.

It seems that the 127 gr +P+ actually looses velocity in the 3.1" bbl.

Gold Dot 124 gr. +P HP SB load.

1116.6 fps average for 6 rds.
1121.2 fps average for 6 rds.

Speer lists the velocity of this load at 1150 fps out of a 3.5" bbl.

Winchester Ranger 127 gr. +P+ HP load.

1117.4 fps average for 6 rds.

IMO, there is no advantage in using the Win. +P+ loads in the 3.1" bbl. of the PM9 even though it did shoot very well thru my pistol at normal combat distances. It did however, not shoot any better than the Speer load which is my EDC load.

As I recall I fired a total of 24 rds. so I'm not concerned about accelerated wear on my PM9.

ltxi
08-15-2012, 07:46 PM
Personally, I think if this discussion is to continue I'd prefer a new thread.

Just something not right about necro resurrecting a thread started by our dear, dead friend.

warbird1
08-16-2012, 09:55 AM
Whatever you use it in will have a shorter life with exceptions as for instance: I have 38+P+ that I sometimes use in my 357's without fear for excess wear. I personally would not use it in ANY of my semi-autos.

Sage
08-16-2012, 05:50 PM
I don't see any need for +p+. I don't even use +p.

JimC
08-17-2012, 05:27 AM
Personally, I think if this discussion is to continue I'd prefer a new thread.

Just something not right about necro resurrecting a thread started by our dear, dead friend.

While I didn't know the man, I don't think he would mind if the thread stays on point. ;)

jocko
08-17-2012, 08:40 AM
Whatever you use it in will have a shorter life with exceptions as for instance: I have 38+P+ that I sometimes use in my 357's without fear for excess wear. I personally would not use it in ANY of my semi-autos.

unless u are one rich sob. shooting +P+ ammo or what ever, u probalby won't live long enough to shoot out a barrel. I have 32K + ropund sout of m,y pM9 and I wouldsay I don't have 500+ P rounds in that 32K either, not that the gun can't take it, MY WALLET CAN'T:cheer2:

JimC
08-17-2012, 12:04 PM
Yup, that's about right as far as cost of good +P ammo for the 9mm anyway.

The Hornady Critical Duty 135 gr. +P FlexLock runs .85 per round in the 25 rd. boxes.

The Speer GD 124 gr. +P runs $1.14 per round for the 20 rd. boxes.

Both of these are + shipping is one can not locate them locally. :eek:

ltxi
08-17-2012, 04:41 PM
While I didn't know the man, I don't think he would mind if the thread stays on point. ;)

Yeah, you're right.

Indigo
08-17-2012, 07:24 PM
I like starting to approach .40 SW ballistics without the same degree of snap.

fitpro
08-18-2012, 08:53 AM
Yup, that's about right as far as cost of good +P ammo for the 9mm anyway.

The Hornady Critical Duty 135 gr. +P FlexLock runs .85 per round in the 25 rd. boxes.

The Speer GD 124 gr. +P runs $1.14 per round for the 20 rd. boxes.

Both of these are + shipping is one can not locate them locally. :eek:

I do not have many posts on this forum and I hope this one is OK. Two places that sell ammo in boxes of 50 at VERY reasonable prices are SGammo.com and policehq.com. You will need to call Streicher's (policehq) to check out their inventory...it's not accurate online...but I just bought two 50-rnd boxes of Hornady Critical Duty 135 gr from them for $69.69 shipped. Speer Gold Dot...all flavors...can be had at SGammo for less than $30/50-rnd box.

Also, Underwood Ammo has good prices and they use GD bullets. They also actually load them to run at the fps stated on the box, not 5%+/- below that we see with many manufacturers. Tnoutdoors9 on Youtube has tested their ammo with impressive results.

(I am not affiliated with anyone...I wish someone would pay me to hawk their ammo...or just give me some for free:)!)

Mods, if this post violates any policies please delete.

JFootin
08-18-2012, 10:47 AM
Kyle's Gun Shop carries the 50 round boxes, too.