View Full Version : Bawanna Grips?

jg rider
03-28-2012, 10:42 AM
Bawanna makes grips? Until reading another thread I didn't know that. Do you have pics of your work posted?

Bawanna
03-28-2012, 10:55 AM
Look for Bawanna's grip emporium started by Old Lincoln.

I also have a website started by Melissa, bless her little pea picking heart.

It is here http://www.wix.com/bawanna45/bawannas-grip-emporium#%21

Bawanna
03-28-2012, 10:57 AM
Wow, it worked, it really really worked.

It is just a hobby, make them when I have time and definitely non profit. I just like making them for folks who appreciate them and because I like doing it.

jg rider
03-28-2012, 11:07 AM
Wow, it worked, it really really worked.

It is just a hobby, make them when I have time and definitely non profit. I just like making them for folks who appreciate them and because I like doing it.
What worked? The web site? Really nice work!

Bawanna
03-28-2012, 11:32 AM
What worked? The web site? Really nice work!

Yeah, first time I ever linked to the web site. I really need to spend some time with it, as much as Melissa did. I don't know about that kind of stuff and she whipped it out in her spare time and didn't break a sweat. Well I wasn't there to watch but I bet she didn't sweat.

Speaking of which, where is Melissa lately?

melissa5
03-28-2012, 11:42 AM
Speaking of which, where is Melissa lately?

Busy, but I'm keeping my eye on you, Bawanna. :p

I've been cutting grass, planting fruit trees, reloading, shooting, planning trips to shoot GSSF...

OldLincoln
03-28-2012, 11:48 AM
To see his gripping story, here is the link to the original thread:
Welcome to Bawanna's Famous Grip Emporium (http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=5082)

Bawanna I'd forgotten about your web site. Melissa did a great job on it and you do need to add more pics. That's has to be less than half since starting.

jg rider
03-28-2012, 11:53 AM
Busy, but I'm keeping my eye on you, Bawanna. :p

Hello Mellissa, where ever you are. I'm new around here, learning the ropes.

jg rider
03-28-2012, 11:57 AM
To see his gripping story, here is the link to the original thread:
Welcome to Bawanna's Famous Grip Emporium (http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=5082)

Bawanna I'd forgotten about your web site. Melissa did a great job on it and you do need to add more pics. That's has to be less than half since starting.

Someone should start a Bawanna picture thread

Bawanna
03-28-2012, 12:01 PM
That's kind of what Old Lincoln and Melissa did. I kind of use Old Lincolns emporium thread as a time line for what happened and such.

Melissa has been a sweetheart and taking pictured posted here and putting them on the web site. I keep meaning to write up some stuff for it and add more pictures too but I always seem to get side tracked. Probably making grips.

Without the support around here I'd be a complete zero/unknown. Well I kind of am anyhow but not quite a complete zero.

While I had made lots of grips before the emporium, it was Old Lincolns special bad thumb, thin version that started the ball rolling around here.
Thanks Old Lincoln and Melissa, I know I've said that a 100 times but not enough yet.

melissa5
03-28-2012, 01:16 PM
Hello Mellissa, where ever you are. I'm new around here, learning the ropes.

Hey jg rider! Welcome to the forum. :) I don't own a Kahr any longer, but I still try to keep up with the guys/gals here. This is the most friendly and entertaining forum that I know of. :D

Bawanna
03-28-2012, 01:18 PM
Hey jg rider! Welcome to the forum. :) I don't own a Kahr any longer, but I still try to keep up with the guys/gals here. This is the most friendly and entertaining forum that I know of. :D

We need to fix that too darlin. No girl of mine should be Kahrless. Ya know?

I shall ponder a fix for this.

JFootin
03-28-2012, 01:49 PM
Bawanna, she needs a truly concealable pocket gun like the P380, and Glock doesn't make anything like that. :9:

Bawanna
03-28-2012, 02:25 PM
Bawanna, she needs a truly concealable pocket gun like the P380, and Glock doesn't make anything like that. :9:

Good thought but I'm not a big 380 fan. I'll get her refocused on them Glocks for her Glock competitions and Kahrs and 1911's for real life.

melissa5
03-28-2012, 03:08 PM
I'm not a big 380 fan either. Had 2 and sold them. Not going back. I do kind of miss my PM9 though. It was thin for the win.

Jfootin, Glock makes 2 .380's. The G25 and G28. They are not available to civilians in the US.

Bawanna
03-28-2012, 03:13 PM
I'm not a big 380 fan either. Had 2 and sold them. Not going back. I do kind of miss my PM9 though. It was thin for the win.

So noted. When's our anniversary?

melissa5
03-28-2012, 03:21 PM
So noted. When's our anniversary?

Sugar, I can't even remember what I did yesterday much less a year or two ago. :p Really, I might look for a used CM9. Don't know...I wasn't wild about the long trigger.

Ken_K
03-28-2012, 03:33 PM
You know Bawanna, I commented on the grips in the thread titled "Bawanna Super Thins Produce Big Smile, again." but for some reason I didn't put two and two together until now. :der: I really like your grips!

Bawanna
03-28-2012, 03:41 PM
You know Bawanna, I commented on the grips in the thread titled "Bawanna Super Thins Produce Big Smile, again." but for some reason I didn't put two and two together until now. :der: I really like your grips!

Two and two I've always considered a trick question ever since grammar school. I know it's messed me up more than a few times myself.

Thanks for the kind words. Jocko says I get a swelled head but it really is a feather in my cap and I appreciate it and Jocko too.

Bawanna
03-28-2012, 03:46 PM
Sugar, I can't even remember what I did yesterday much less a year or two ago. :p Really, I might look for a used CM9. Don't know...I wasn't wild about the long trigger.

I want the world to know I've finally found the perfect woman. She don't remember anniversaries, probably birthdays, valentines day, ground hogs day.
I don't think my real life wife remembers either but I sure catch the rath if I forget.

And she calls me sugar!:D

muggsy
03-28-2012, 03:46 PM
These are the Grips that Bawanna built for my Gold Cup. I think that they were his best effort to date. Of course being a Navy man I might be prejudice. :)

http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=10929

Ken_K
03-28-2012, 03:50 PM
More excellent work! I'm going to have to hit you up Bawanna, my SR1911 could use some sharp looking grips.

Bawanna
03-28-2012, 03:53 PM
More excellent work! I'm going to have to hit you up Bawanna, my SR1911 could use some sharp looking grips like.

OMG! What is it with you lucky buzzards with SR1911's talking them up when I can't find one! Do you guys do this on purpose? Hmmmm.

I got shut out in Tennessee, they were out, still waiting for word in Ohio.

I'll fix you up in fine fashion Ken. When these threads pop up I get a little influx of desires but not too much yet. PM me your wants and desires, color, checkering, inlay etc and we'll see what we can do.
In between my periods of crying and depression because I can't find a SR 1911 to call my very own.

bonjorno2
03-28-2012, 04:32 PM
i think my kimber ultra cdp ii could use a set..... how long is the wait and what are you charging old man? lol

gb6491
03-28-2012, 05:01 PM
Look for Bawanna's grip emporium started by Old Lincoln.

I also have a website started by Melissa, bless her little pea picking heart.

It is here http://www.wix.com/bawanna45/bawannas-grip-emporium#%21
That's a nice site, well done to all involved!
Would you mind if I link to it when and if I ever get around to updating my pages?
Regards,
Greg

Bawanna
03-28-2012, 05:06 PM
That's a nice site, well done to all involved!
Would you mind if I link to it when and if I ever get around to updating my pages?
Regards,
Greg

Seems ok to me. Melissa are we ok with this? Melissa's my webmaster. How many people can say they got a webmaster that calls em sugar?

Send me a link to your pages too, if you need to check with your people first, that's ok.

I'm not to up on this linking stuff.

gb6491
03-28-2012, 05:15 PM
Seems ok to me. Melissa are we ok with this? Melissa's my webmaster. How many people can say they got a webmaster that calls em sugar?

Send me a link to your pages too, if you need to check with your people first, that's ok.

Bawanna,
Here's the main page; http://gbrannon.bizhat.com/
Some of my other pages are linked on the bottom of it. I do have others up, but those are mostly related to obscure forum posts.
Thanks for the consideration.
Regards,
Greg

Bawanna
03-28-2012, 05:25 PM
Dude, you put some major effort into that site I'm telling ya. Gonna take me awhile to take a gander at all that.

That's a seriously beautiful knife to start things off with made from a file. What a transformation.

FWIW- The little damascus knife you sent me has ridden with me every single day since I got the kydex sheath made for it. (Which you told me how to do too since we're talking about it) I get lots of nice comments about it and so far the Dept brass hasn't questioned me wearing it in uniform.

It's just about precisely what my dream knife was for size and look. One just has to love stag and what could be better than stag and damascus together.
Don't get any better.

melissa5
03-28-2012, 05:32 PM

Yes, we are OK with this. :)

Those Damascus steel knives are very pretty. I've looked at some at gun shows, but haven't pulled that trigger yet.

Tinman507
03-28-2012, 06:32 PM
To: The Honorable Bawanna, Super Moderator of KahrTalk

RE: Grips for Kahr K9

Your Eminence,

I hope this note finds you in fine health and humor. I was curious to know if your most excellent talent in woodworking has extended to the Kahr K9 line as yet?

I eagerly await your reply,

Sincerely,

The Tinman

Bawanna
03-28-2012, 06:55 PM
Well my humble servant, I indeed have dabbled with the K's and MK series. I made a set for my K40 and I made several for the MK's. The sad thing is apparently there are some frame changes that to this day I have not figured out.

I sent out a couple and they didn't fit. I sent out one set and they were able to make them fit. They are challenging to make as there are so many surfaces inside that need to match up and then fit perfectly down the backstrap, so I cry a lot when I make them and they don't fit. But such is life. Some get the donut, some get the hole.

I've off and on been trying to decipher how to tell whats what. I know on the MK they said there is a GA series and a GC series but I sent out a set and alas they did not fit.

I tried to get stripped unuseable frames from kahr just for fitting grips but they got serious federal rules to adhere to regarding the disposal of unused parts.

How about I send you the set off my K40 and we'll see if they fit your K9. If they do we're golden and we'll fix you up. If they don't I'll feel really down and depressed for probably 6 or 8 years but I'll get over it eventually.

Hows that sound?

Tinman507
03-28-2012, 06:59 PM
Would a set of the stock rubber grips be usable for patterning?

Bawanna
03-28-2012, 07:04 PM
Does your have the soft rubber grips factory or the kind of hard rubber grips?

Do you just have the one set?

Making grips from a grip is difficult and frustrating because I can't really tell if I got it right or not. BUT I'm also suspecting that there's only a small modification need to make them fit. So it might be a good idea.

If it's your only set though I'll send you mine for a trial fit first. I don't carry the K40 often and I have extra grips.

Tinman507
03-28-2012, 07:07 PM
They're not gushy soft but they're soft to me. I suppose they're the harder version. I never held either style before this gun. they're my only set.

Will send a PM.

jdlott74
03-28-2012, 08:15 PM

You could always get a CW45 Melissa...I LOVE mine.

jdlott74
03-28-2012, 08:17 PM
Awesome. thanks for posting the website link Bawanna. Melissa, thanks for doing it for him. I'm sure jlottmc will be having some more grips made when he gets more stuff he wants on them. maybe ones with a mini badge after the academy.

jg rider
03-28-2012, 09:01 PM
Does your have the soft rubber grips factory or the kind of hard rubber grips?

Do you just have the one set?

Making grips from a grip is difficult and frustrating because I can't really tell if I got it right or not. BUT I'm also suspecting that there's only a small modification need to make them fit. So it might be a good idea.

If it's your only set though I'll send you mine for a trial fit first. I don't carry the K40 often and I have extra grips.

Would a set of plastic grips that were for an E9 and were on my wife's K9 work for you?

Bawanna
03-28-2012, 09:21 PM
Would a set of plastic grips that were for an E9 and were on my wife's K9 work for you?

I've always thought the E9 and the K9 had the same grip, so you just confirmed that.

I got a set headed for Tinman tomorrow to see if they fit. Fingers crossed. Plastic might be easier to duplicate than rubber. Its tough to make a grip from a grip though.

jg rider
03-28-2012, 09:27 PM
I've always thought the E9 and the K9 had the same grip, so you just confirmed that.

I got a set headed for Tinman tomorrow to see if they fit. Fingers crossed. Plastic might be easier to duplicate than rubber. Its tough to make a grip from a grip though.

She stopped using them, she went back to the rubber ones because of arthritis. I can loan them to you if you need

Bawanna
03-28-2012, 09:31 PM
She stopped using them, she went back to the rubber ones because of arthritis. I can loan them to you if you need

Appreciate the offer. Lets wait till tinman tries them on for size. If they don't go I might take you up on the offer.

Tinman507
03-29-2012, 03:43 AM
These posts typify what this forum has been about. The generosity of the members is second to none. This is like a small town where everyone helps everyone else out. I for one truly appreciate these qualities. It's something that is missing in a huge part of our world anymore.

Thanks Guys & Gals!

Ken_K
03-29-2012, 07:23 AM
OMG! What is it with you lucky buzzards with SR1911's talking them up when I can't find one! Do you guys do this on purpose? Hmmmm.

I got shut out in Tennessee, they were out, still waiting for word in Ohio.

I'll fix you up in fine fashion Ken. When these threads pop up I get a little influx of desires but not too much yet. PM me your wants and desires, color, checkering, inlay etc and we'll see what we can do.
In between my periods of crying and depression because I can't find a SR 1911 to call my very own.

Thanks Bawanna! Now I just have to figure out exactly what I want lol.

Don't feel bad, my buddy has been trying to find one for months. They are out there but normally priced ABOVE msrp. :31::der::smash: Why Ruger is draggin' wagon on ramping up production for a VERY sought after product is beyond me. It seems that they have always released a new firearm long before production was up to snuff, but never like this.

Bawanna
03-29-2012, 09:24 AM
Word is they are working 3 shifts, 6 days a week pumping them out and still not gaining on the demand. They stopped accepting orders until probably end of May at least in an attempt to catch up.

I think they'll catch up eventually. I'm just hoping the push doesn't effect the quality in a negative way.

Ken_K
03-29-2012, 01:40 PM
Word is they are working 3 shifts, 6 days a week pumping them out and still not gaining on the demand. They stopped accepting orders until probably end of May at least in an attempt to catch up.

I think they'll catch up eventually. I'm just hoping the push doesn't effect the quality in a negative way.

Same here. If the quality drops off then your just buying a higher priced RIA :rolleyes: They seem to really be pushing the SR22. Every time I watch Wednesday Night at the Range I see an ad for it at least 4 - 6 times. I haven't seen an ad on tv or in one of the gun rags for the SR1911 in months.