View Full Version : Another gun devalued

jg rider
03-28-2012, 07:53 PM
Well here's another gun I devalued. It was a blued 6" .22 Colt Diamondback purchase new around the early 80s

I had it satin finish hard chromed. Then I jeweled the trigger & hammer. Next I swapped out the Accro rear sight for an Elliason one. Then I got a Colt Python target patridge front sight and reshaped the underside to fit into the Diamondback sight slot.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p100/jgriders/Colt%20Diamondback/01Diamondbacksights.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p100/jgriders/Colt%20Diamondback/02Diamondbacksights.jpg

After many years I decided to try to find a F.O.front sight, there ain't none made. So I bought a new sight and asked Frank Glenn from AZ. to make me one. It was going to be iffy to drill the sight and install the F.O. rod because to have a 25yd. zero the front sight had to be cut down as the first one was, from .190" to about .157", which didn't leave much wall thickness

I just got the sight in the mail tonight and I just finished installing it and test firing the gun

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p100/jgriders/Colt%20Diamondback/03Diamondbacksights.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p100/jgriders/Colt%20Diamondback/04Diamondbacksights.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p100/jgriders/Colt%20Diamondback/05Diamondbacksights.jpg

Bawanna
03-28-2012, 09:28 PM
Oh good, I beat Greg this time. Now THAT blows my dress up clear around my ears.

I love Pythons and diamondbacks. Never owned one, shot several. Born on the wrong side of the tracks.

That's a genuine gem right there. Wife didn't have a competitor this time?

Deano
03-28-2012, 09:42 PM
Very nice. I'll bet that little beauty is fun to shoot, and make you look cool while doing it too.

jg rider
03-28-2012, 10:03 PM
Oh good, I beat Greg this time. Now THAT blows my dress up clear around my ears.

I love Pythons and diamondbacks. Never owned one, shot several. Born on the wrong side of the tracks.

We have joint custody of this one.

O'Dell
03-29-2012, 02:33 AM

I bought a Python back in the early eighties. I think I put about 300 rounds through it, and then put it away for twenty years. It's the only revolver I ever owned, and I guess I'm just not into wheel guns. I sold it some years back when a guy offered me about three time what I paid for it.

jg rider
03-29-2012, 06:59 AM
Very nice. I'll bet that little beauty is fun to shoot, and make you look cool while doing it too.

Yea I shoot it with sunglasses on, gold i.d. bracelet on my right wrist, imitation Rolex on the left, gold chain around my neck and my shirt open.

All on a windy day to have the wind blowing through my hair. :cool:

Bawanna
03-29-2012, 09:26 AM
You have hair? Lucky!

jocko
03-29-2012, 09:38 AM
gotta admit though the blued pyton 6" bbl back in the "days" was smoother than an egg passing through a chicken. We didn't sell to many due to cost back then. I wish Ihad put a couple back before I( sold the business.

yqtszhj
03-29-2012, 10:03 AM
I bought a Python back in the early eighties. I think I put about 300 rounds through it, and then put it away for twenty years. It's the only revolver I ever owned, and I guess I'm just not into wheel guns. I sold it some years back when a guy offered me about three time what I paid for it.

Same here. Those early 80's colts bring a dollar or 2 now. My King Cobra sold for 2 1/2+ times what I paid for it. Of course I spent the money buying a Stainless Beretta 92FS. It took a while but it has grown on me. it's utterly reliable too. I have a COlt .380 from back then too that I don't think I'll ever get rid of even though it stays locked up except for cleaning.

jg rider
03-29-2012, 10:53 AM
gotta admit though the blued pyton 6" bbl back in the "days" was smoother than an egg passing through a chicken. We didn't sell to many due to cost back then. I wish Ihad put a couple back before I( sold the business.

Jocko you just reminded me of something that was going on when I bought this gun back in the early 80s. I already had 6" Python but didn't give a thought about owning a Diamondback. Then Colt announced that they were going to discontinue the 6" .22 Diamondback, so I got caught up in the panic buy. Then Colt changed it's position

Can I throw a little FYI in here? How many of you know why the Colt cylinder rotates to the right.

I answer if there's interest. It's a technical answer.

jocko
03-29-2012, 10:57 AM
theory is that it tightens up the cylinder crane. In theory it probalby does, in reality it seems to make no difference. I think Ruger turns right to.

politicaly maybe the owners were liberals!!!!! and was sending us sumliminal messages..:19:

ol jocko's theory:. Due to the Coriolis Effect, revolver cylinders rotate counterclockwise in the northern hemisphere and clockwise in the southern hemisphere, just like cyclones and toilet drains. Just sayin

A friend sent this to me:behindsofa:

jg rider
03-29-2012, 10:59 AM
You have hair? Lucky!

Straight long blond hair! It's a typical trait of my Mediterranean ancestry. :cool: :rolleyes:

Bawanna
03-29-2012, 11:33 AM
Your not Fabio are you?

Tinman507
03-29-2012, 11:40 AM
theory is that it tightens up the cylinder crane. In theory it probalby does, in reality it seems to make no difference. I think Ruger turns right to.

politicaly maybe the owners were liberals!!!!! and was sending us sumliminal messages..:19:

ol jocko's theory:. Due to the Coriolis Effect, revolver cylinders rotate counterclockwise in the northern hemisphere and clockwise in the southern hemisphere, just like cyclones and toilet drains. Just sayin

Thank you Mr. Wizard
http://johnkemeny.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/wein600-450.jpg

muggsy
03-29-2012, 11:45 AM
Your not Fabio are you?

Take it from me Bawanna, hair is highly over rated.

Bawanna
03-29-2012, 12:17 PM

What just happened?

getsome
03-29-2012, 01:33 PM
Ok I'll bite why does it turn right?...I know S&W made theirs turn left to avoid patent infringement and to just be different from Colt...

Tinman507
03-29-2012, 01:50 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l6vs96Lj0o1qbtjkwo1_500.png

http://teachers.sduhsd.net/dsalas/Images/moving_eyes.gif

O'Dell
03-29-2012, 01:59 PM
What just happened?

I don't know, but suddenly I'm very afraid!

O'Dell
03-29-2012, 02:02 PM
Take it from me Bawanna, hair is highly over rated.

Maybe so, but mine is getting a bit thin on top, so if you want to send some extra south to Atlanta, I'll risk it.

jg rider
03-29-2012, 02:21 PM

That's part of it. The rest is the pawl / hand rotates the cylinder by way of the star ratchet, and when the bolt drops into the cylinder slot the pawl still applies pressure against the ratchet to hold the cylinder rigid. There isn't any side to side cylinder play when you hold the trigger back.

Not like a S&W, whose hand rotates the cylinder until the bolt drops into the cylinder slot and then the hand drops away so there's side to side cylinder play when you hold the the trigger back

Colt timing is so much more critical. And you're right, as far as I know there was no difference in accuracy

Another quirk with Colts was it's .357 caliber bore diameter. As far as I know all other .38 / .357 calibers have a bore diameter of .357" / .358". Not Colt, it's diameter was .356". I had to be aware of that because of leading, I cast my own bullets.

I don't know what the effect is called, (Coriolis Effect) but it does effect trigger pull. Shooting a Colt while facing north will allow the earth's rotation to help rotate the cylinder for a lighter trigger pull.
Face south for all others :behindsofa:

getsome
03-29-2012, 02:44 PM
Thanks jg, I thought it was something like that....Man even though I'm a S&W guy I would give up one of the boys to get my hands on a Python...Every time I watch the movie "Magnum Force" and see the bad cops shooting those beautiful 4" blued Pythons it makes my britches stick out in the front...They are rare as frog hair now and cost more than a house if you can find one...

I wonder what things we have around today that in 30 years we will look back and kick ourselves for not buying a crate load of and putting away...Probably not much as things today seem to be of the use up and throw away variety...

A couple range trips ago a younger guy brought in what looked like a new in the original box blued Colt .38 Detective Special that didn't have a pawl ring around the cylinder so it may have never been c0cked or the cylinder opened...The guy said he got it from his grandfathers estate when he died and wanted to trade it for a semi auto pistol of some kind...The counter guy started drooling but another guy looking at guns saw it and started pulling out 100 dollar bills and handing them to the guy...The young man didn't have any idea how much the .38 was worth and I only wish I had some money on me that day...That was a beautiful pristine revolver...

jocko
03-29-2012, 02:58 PM
yup I lost a million dollars on guns about 30 years ago. Guns I could have bought then for peanuts and sold today for millions. Hindsight is always 20-20. I wish I had my brother 57 chevy 2dr belair (new in 57 I think around $2200)...Yup lost that one to.