PDA

View Full Version : Is it bad to shoot more than one gun in a single session?

QuercusMax
03-30-2012, 06:44 PM
I always shoot 2 (or sometimes 3) different guns whenever I can find the time to go out shooting because I like "exercising" multiple guns to enjoy the variety and to do comparisons between them.

But I also know that one should work on "muscle memory," so it occurred to me that using multiple guns in a single session might be confusing my poor little muscles. :confused:

Any thoughts on this?

jocko
03-30-2012, 07:04 PM
a guy has to have fun u know. 99.995% chanceur never gonna use ur defense gun in anger, so why miss out on the other fun things of shooting other guns. Why do some people own a 100 guns??JUST BECVAUSE THEY CAN..enjoy ur guns, if SHTF I wouldbe ur defense gun will do just fine.

Bawanna
03-30-2012, 07:36 PM
I sure hope it's not bad. I usually take at least 5 or 6 and sometimes more.

I make a point of shooting my carry guns first with no special prep, usually with the ammo that is in them. Then maybe a few clips with practice ammo, usually reloads.

After that I just shoot what I want. Usually I got a few that I'm testing for something or other. Always bring at least 1 22 to tinker with.

Usually bring my Smith 41, even when I have horrible days it still shoots and makes me look not completely incapable.

Somebody please tell me this isn't bad.

AJBert
03-30-2012, 07:44 PM
I don't believe I've ever brought less than 3 guns to the range. What would be the fun in that?

If I need to work on one particular weapon, that is the first one I'll shoot until I am either satisfied or completely frustrated. And I always finish up with a .22 just for the fun of it.

I've been known to bring a shotgun, high power rifle or two, a couple of handguns, a black powder and of course a .22 or two. If I have to spend money at a range to shoot, I'm gonna get my money's worth!

Alfonse
03-30-2012, 07:54 PM
I bring as many as I feel like cleaning after shooting. Usually 3, sometimes more. I think shooting just one gun would make me a dull boy...

ruf45
03-30-2012, 07:57 PM
I dont get out much, so will take several and have lots of fun

TheTman
03-30-2012, 08:07 PM
I usually take as many as I can cram into my multiple gun case, usually 4 to 6, depending on what I choose that day, plus a 50 Cal. ammo can full of ammo for the bunch. One gun that makes most trips is my Buckmark .22 so that when my wrist gets to aching I can shoot the .22 for awhile and give my wrist a break.

Barth
03-30-2012, 08:13 PM
I always shoot 2 (or sometimes 3) different guns whenever I can find the time to go out shooting because I like "exercising" multiple guns to enjoy the variety and to do comparisons between them.

But I also know that one should work on "muscle memory," so it occurred to me that using multiple guns in a single session might be confusing my poor little muscles. :confused:

Any thoughts on this?

Practice is practice.
If you're carrying several different guns?
Then you should practice with them.
I often shoot multiple guns in one trip to the range.

In high school I had two motorcycles.
A British Triumph 650 and a German BMW 500.
The shift and rear brake were on opposite sides and I rode both daily.
no problemo

CJB
03-30-2012, 08:29 PM
Depends on why I go to the range - fun, or for some purpose. If the purpose is to test fire, align sights, etc... then I limit what I bring to one or possibly two (the second being a retest). If its just for fun, bring as many as I feel like lugging over to the range.

Currently, I've got a govt model, a commander, and soon a 10/22 that need testing... so more range trips abound.

Scoundrel
03-30-2012, 09:34 PM
Do you drive more than one car regularly?

If so, does your muscle memory for the 2nd car stop working after you've driven the 1st car? Or, does your mind/body retain more than one set of muscle memories?

I find that if I go a LONG time without shooting one of my guns, it feels unfamiliar in my hand. Same with the cars.

But if I practice with all of them, they all feel familiar and I can switch between them without thinking about it.

Of course, if they're nearly identical, and one has a control that the other does not, you might have some trouble with that. But if they are different sizes and feel different in your hand, then you're going to "know" which one you are holding and "remember" it.

BTW, this is a great way to get a "new" gun once in a while. Bury one in the back of the safe for a while, and then dig it out after not using for a long time. Instant new gun!

HDoc
03-31-2012, 06:56 AM
Usually bring my Smith 41, even when I have horrible days it still shoots and makes me look not completely incapable.

My wife was almost going to give up on shooting sports because as a beginner the big bores hurt her hand and she didn't have enough skill yet to
shoot well with her P380.
I gave her my Model 41 to try, now she goes weekly with me to practice.
It's a near perfect gun. Plus .22LR makes a cheap date !

QuercusMax
03-31-2012, 07:00 AM
Thanks guys! Multiple guns it is! Woo, hoo!

Do you drive more than one car regularly?

If so, does your muscle memory for the 2nd car stop working after you've driven the 1st car? Or, does your mind/body retain more than one set of muscle memories?

Yes, and this is a good example that I can relate to in a special way. I lived in Britain for several years and still travel back there every so often, and it feels as natural to shift (with stick shift) with my left hand there as with my right hand here.

I digress but - this reminds me that the last car I rented in the UK (an Audi A3 2.0 liter diesel) got 56 miles to the US gallon (converted from £/liter) over a 1200 mile trip, yet was a pretty snappy car to drive. Good thing, too, because fuel was $9/US gallon. :eek:

krmgator
03-31-2012, 07:41 AM
I shoot primarily for fun and to make sure I'm comfortable with my firearms.

I always take more than one. Adds to the fun.

voodoo54
04-01-2012, 08:27 PM
I always bring at least two firearms to the range. My primary carry to keep my skills up and another to shoot for fun.

yqtszhj
04-01-2012, 09:45 PM
shoot everything you have time and money to shoot each time you go. If you can hit with everything you're just better off in the long run.

paperpuncher
04-01-2012, 10:28 PM
It never fails, every time I go to the range after shooting the CM9, or a sa/da, the first pull of the trigger on my Springfield loaded with the trigger job, catches me slightly off guard. Always in a safe direction, but it comes slightly unexpected regardless.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

muggsy
04-10-2012, 10:31 PM

Any thoughts on this?

There is no such thing as muscle memory. Your muscles won't do a damn thing unless your brain sends them a signal.

jg rider
04-10-2012, 11:32 PM
Our serious practice sessions consist of her shooting her Glock 17 or one of her carry Kahrs and her A.A..22 conversion for her Glock.
And I'll shoot my 1911 Commander, a .22 1911 conversion, and one of my carry Kahrs
Gee I wish kahr would make a .22.

We found for us it's best to practice with the center fire pistols first and then go to the rim fires. the other way causes a grip and recoil surprise because of the semi relaxed .22 shooting.

jg rider
04-11-2012, 12:02 AM
There is no such thing as muscle memory. Your muscles won't do a damn thing unless your brain sends them a signal.

We may have different definitions of muscle memory.
If I close me eyes and then draw, the pistol tracks from out of the holster to the target with the correct hold and position on the target. To me it's muscle memory that lets my hand fall on the grip, draw and be on target. with my arm, wrist and hand grip in the right position. It's a learned motion.
However if I were to shoot a revolver the hand has to relearn the grip the arm is right, but the wrist has to learn to bend.

The brain can do one thing and your muscles something else.
My wife practices standing in front o an IPSC target, at a beep she does a palm strike or claws the eyes and starts rapidly walking backwards while drawing and firing. Her brain is concentrating on not falling and listening for my command on which way to back up.

HDoc
04-11-2012, 06:58 AM
"Muscle memory has been used synonymously with motor learning (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_learning), which is a form of procedural memory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Procedural_memory) that involves consolidating a specific motor task into memory through repetition. When a movement is repeated over time, a long-term muscle memory is created for that task, eventually allowing it to be performed without conscious effort. This process decreases the need for attention and creates maximum efficiency within the motor and memory systems. Examples of muscle memory improve's with practice, Providing a certain feel onto a muscle will inflict a memory of the feel and that muscle movement will continue without conscious effort activities such as Basketball, riding a bicycle, typing on a keyboard, typing in a PIN (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_identification_number), playing a melody or phrase on a musical instrument, playing video games,[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_memory#cite_note-Krakauer-0) or performing different algorithms for a puzzle cube (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubik%27s_Cube)."

It's really not memory in the muscle, it's the brain remembering an oft used neural pathway. as in Practice makes Perfect. More correctly its a synergistic proprioceptive pathway. OK, clear now?

Markis82
04-11-2012, 08:03 AM
I always bring at least two firearms to the range. My primary carry to keep my skills up and another to shoot for fun.That is what I do too. But, I hardly ever shoot more that 2 in a day. Only because cleaning 2 guns at a time is my limit. Love to shoot'em, hate to clean'em. That said, I can't stand an unclean gun.

wyntrout
04-11-2012, 10:50 AM
Repetition allows you to not have to focus on each detail specifically, allowing you to use more of your brain to do something else at the same time. As you add more processes or steps to an action, the easier and smoother the entire action sequence becomes.

The first time I tried reloading my Kahr quickly at the range when the slide locked back, I grabbed the magazine and tried to stuff it in quickly... brass to the front... didn't work.:eek: I slowed down and thought about the process of how the magazine is oriented in my holder, and the feel of the magazine in the proper orientation as I brought it up to insert in the mag well. After a bit of practice, my hand seems to help me with touch and do the proper orientation without me having to concentrate on that. I'm no speed reloader... blink of the eye, but I do practice and don't have to dwell on the individual steps.

I just wish that my trigger pull didn't turn into a yank and a forward push when I rapid fire!:rolleyes:

As I said the other day, when I last shot MY P380, I was grouping about 2" or so low at 7 yards and a bit to the left of centerline, and I really tried to slow down and squeeze the trigger, etc., but it kept the same grouping, so... I adjusted my aim and covered the bullseye... where the bullets grouped.

Wynn:)

jg rider
04-11-2012, 12:17 PM
"Muscle memory has been used synonymously with motor learning (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_learning), which is a form of procedural memory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Procedural_memory) that involves consolidating a specific motor task into memory through repetition. When a movement is repeated over time, a long-term muscle memory is created for that task, eventually allowing it to be performed without conscious effort. This process decreases the need for attention and creates maximum efficiency within the motor and memory systems. Examples of muscle memory improve's with practice, Providing a certain feel onto a muscle will inflict a memory of the feel and that muscle movement will continue without conscious effort activities such as Basketball, riding a bicycle, typing on a keyboard, typing in a PIN (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_identification_number), playing a melody or phrase on a musical instrument, playing video games,[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_memory#cite_note-Krakauer-0) or performing different algorithms for a puzzle cube (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubik%27s_Cube)."

It's really not memory in the muscle, it's the brain remembering an oft used neural pathway. as in Practice makes Perfect. More correctly its a synergistic proprioceptive pathway. OK, clear now?

:001_huh: Is that what I kinda said?

HenryinFlorida
04-11-2012, 12:49 PM
I don't have that many of them. I just got my 4th pistol (CW45), but I bring them all. I never hurts to know they still fucntion correctly.

Bill K
04-11-2012, 01:46 PM
Probably because my range is in my back yard and I mostly shoot by myself I'll hardly ever bring out more than one gun to shoot. If shooting with someone who has brought their own gun I will give theirs a try just for the fun of it.

Wolffire99
04-11-2012, 02:27 PM
Fundamentals apply to any pistol

QuercusMax
04-11-2012, 04:43 PM
That is what I do too. But, I hardly ever shoot more that 2 in a day. Only because cleaning 2 guns at a time is my limit. Love to shoot'em, hate to clean'em. That said, I can't stand an unclean gun.

Yup. That's where I'm at, too. I never put a dirty gun away.

I like shooting more than one gun just for the contrast, but the cleaning aspect reins me in. Two works well for me.

There are so many things in life that would better if we could only have servants to clean up afterwards. :)

jdlott74
04-11-2012, 06:00 PM
NO, we always take at least 2-3, sometimes more, but usually just 2-3.

DKD
04-12-2012, 03:57 PM
Daaaang guys if you feel that way about just a few modern pistols what would you do if you had several black powder weapons / revolvers to clean...? "Shootins done, gone the sun, and now the fun has begun"....Not!
No choice there as to putting them up dirty unless you live out west with almost no humidity. Down here in Florida in a day or so they would look like a rust bucket. Modern weapons clean up easily, and for routine maintenance should only take 10-15 minutes to clean per pistol.

les strat
04-12-2012, 04:06 PM
I ALWAYS bring a long gun, which is my first love. I mix the handguns up, but always shoot at least one of my revolvers. I always love to lay claim to the 200 yd lane or at least 100. Popping a water-filled jug at 200 yards is fun stuff.

MW surveyor
04-13-2012, 02:07 PM
I usually take 2 and on rare occasions 3. Mostly it will be one center fire and one 22. If developing a new load, I'll take the 2 revolvers or the 2 9 mm. Only have one 45 so I take my Accurate Arms Target conversion kit (22) with that one.

7shot
05-18-2012, 11:56 AM
well, i have three: K9, XDM 9 Compact, and an AR 15. I shoot them all...and it's fun!

pitandkahr
05-18-2012, 12:19 PM
I hope not. In a bit I'm shooting my PM9, MK9, XD sub-compact 40 S&W, Ruger SR-22 and Bobcat. LOL if it is, screw it. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sage
05-18-2012, 05:39 PM
I sometimes carry 3 or 4 guns in different calibers to the range and shoot as many as 500-600 rounds. Usually though I carry one or two guns and shoot a couple hundred rounds. I'm taking my wife tomorrow so we'll carry her LCR .38 and LCP .380 and my PM9 and Sig P226-9 (that's my night stand weapon).

jocko
05-18-2012, 07:19 PM
hell we aqin't into world wide competition, we buy guns because we like um, not just to look at. Shoot the fokkers like u stole um. life is to short to worryt about little thngs like this: Just sayin.

pitandkahr
05-18-2012, 08:06 PM
hell we aqin't into world wide competition, we buy guns because we like um, not just to look at. Shoot the fokkers like u stole um. life is to short to worryt about little thngs like this: Just sayin.

Guns have 'safe queens' like 'trailer bikes' in the motorcycle world. I shoot the hell out of my guns and ride the hell out of my bikes when I have them. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just in joy
05-18-2012, 08:35 PM
Most all my pistols come out every range trip. I agree guns are meant to shoot not look pretty. A couple rifles come out also mainly my 257 weatherby I shoot the dog poop out of and also my 7 mm mag and the 243 comes out quite often also. But my 40's 9 380 and 44 mag come out of the safe saying man we need a break.

7shot
05-30-2012, 09:35 PM
I like to shoot my K9, XDM 9 Compact, and Bushmaster AR every time I go to the range.

Opps...double post, my bad...

Dogman
05-31-2012, 06:54 AM
I normally will take at least two handguns and either a rifle or shotgun to the range. When I go shoot with one of the local PD's I'll only take one handgun that I want to qualify with.

muggsy
05-31-2012, 07:38 AM
We may have different definitions of muscle memory.
If I close me eyes and then draw, the pistol tracks from out of the holster to the target with the correct hold and position on the target. To me it's muscle memory that lets my hand fall on the grip, draw and be on target. with my arm, wrist and hand grip in the right position. It's a learned motion.
However if I were to shoot a revolver the hand has to relearn the grip the arm is right, but the wrist has to learn to bend.

The brain can do one thing and your muscles something else.
My wife practices standing in front o an IPSC target, at a beep she does a palm strike or claws the eyes and starts rapidly walking backwards while drawing and firing. Her brain is concentrating on not falling and listening for my command on which way to back up.

JG, your muscles are incapable of remembering anything. The things that you do "automatically" are stored in your subconscious memory. If you don't believe me ask a doctor. I'm not a doctor. I just like to play doctor, but in this regard I am correct. :)