View Full Version : s&m m&p 9 or walther ppq

Gtfan
03-31-2012, 08:06 PM
I am going to buy one of these guns for home defense.do any of yall own or have any expierience with either or both the m&p 9 or walther ppq.any suggestions would be appreciated!

Gtfan
03-31-2012, 08:13 PM
I meant s&w not s&m!

yqtszhj
03-31-2012, 08:13 PM
I have no experience with the PPQ but the M&P 9 is suppose to be really reliable. If you want a single stack 7 round pistol a CW9 is really nice too. I wish I hadn't traded mine although I love my CM9 too.

yqtszhj
03-31-2012, 08:14 PM
I meant s&w not s&m!

Now that's funny!:D

Kadelic
03-31-2012, 08:35 PM
I can't speak for the Walther but I love my M&P 9c. I went with the compact model as I intend to use it for CC, but I have I full size mag for when it's on HD duty.

Gtfan
03-31-2012, 09:13 PM
I have no experience with the PPQ but the M&P 9 is suppose to be really reliable. If you want a single stack 7 round pistol a CW9 is really nice too. I wish I hadn't traded mine although I love my CM9 too.

I also love my cm9 and it is my edc.I am looking for a double stack 9mm held the glock 19 and did not like it so I held the m&p and loved it but now I have read a lot of great reviews on the walther ppq but my lgs does not have one so if any of y'all own one I would like to know how you like it

JFootin
03-31-2012, 09:25 PM
Buy American. Get the M&P. I want to get one in 9 mm and one in 22 lr for plinking and practice using the same basic gun.

Cornhusker
04-01-2012, 09:46 AM
I have the M&P9C on the night stand and an M&P9FS that I've owned for a few years now. Both of them have been totally reliable and have never had any problems with either one.

chrish
04-01-2012, 10:20 AM
I have to say that between the two, I'd go w/ the PPQ. But I had pretty much decided to go that route until recently. I prefer DAO triggers and had only decided on the PPQ because I could find a 'trainer' in the P22Q. Totally stupid decision on my part, you live and learn. Anyway, I handled pretty much every high capacity 9mm out there. Glock, M&P, XDm, PPQ, PX4, SR9c/P95...the list went on.

Anyway, the PPQ had by far the best ergos and the best trigger of everything I evaluated. Keep in mind, I didn't shoot many of these. I had shot the P95 and a Glock years back. Otherwise, my evaluation here is completely academic.

I realized that my training goal w/ the P22Q was completely stupid (or partially at least). P22 had safety, hammer, long initial pull vs NOT on the PPQ. Yea, the mag release was the same and the ergos were the same but smaller, but it just didn't quite provide enough benefit. And the P22 is tempermental.

After discovering the Sig P250 recently (had no idea it was DAO like my Kahrs), I've decided to go that route for my high capacity 9mm. I love the ergos, trigger is smooth, very nice. And it's made in the good old USA. So I'm going a different route, but for my DAO preference.

But I digress...

If I were to purchase a striker fired non-Kahr pistol at this point, it'd be the PPQ. I haven't read a single bad review of it or found one person that has purchased one that didn't like it. I read a post somewhere where someone said it out-Glocked his Glocks. Without having shot a PPQ, I'll leave that to your imagination, but I'd expect it came from someone that believed it.

lowroad
04-01-2012, 10:37 AM
Glock 26 :)

jocko
04-01-2012, 11:12 AM
I had a M & P and other than a totally crapy trigger,k the gun never faile don me. After Dave Bowie got done doing his jwork on it, that gun was a real shooter and the triggeer wasnight and day. I peddled it as I just didn;'t cuddle up to it. some guy in Texas got a hellof a great gun as it was stippled, ported and the Bowie treatment. I lost my ass when I sold it:blah::blah:

Barth
04-01-2012, 11:33 AM
Haven't owned or even shot either.
Rent/borrow if you can.

I personally have a Glock Gen 3 G27 with a Storm Lake 40-9mm conversion barrel,
G26 mags, Ghost Rocket 3.5 short reset connector and Big Dot sights.
It's freaking amazing.
The only shortcoming is the grip ergos could be better.

All the reviews I've read, professional and private, have been beyond glowing for the Walther PPQ.

Outstanding ergonomics.
Light, clean, crisp, short reset trigger (much like my Ghost Rocket).
Total reliability (Like my Glock).

If there was a subcompact PPQ with an abbreviated grip?
I would have one.

O'Dell
04-01-2012, 11:58 AM
I've had two M&P compacts in 40 and 45. both were very comfortable to shoot, quite accurate, and ran perfectly, so that would be my choice.

TheTman
04-01-2012, 12:19 PM
I have a 9mm M&P Pro with the custom shop trigger on it and am very pleased with it. It has as close to a single action trigger as I've found. You can take up the slack until you feel resistance, then apply a little more pressure and the trigger breaks very crisply. For target shooting it's the best DAO trigger I've run across, might not be the one I'd want for a CC weapon though, it's kind of large with it's 5 inch barrel for CC use. I hear the LEO's really like them though. I intend to use mine is IDPA once I get going in that, and makes a nice home protection gun. It has a built in rail for flashlights or lasers or whatever you want to hang on it.

Dueeast
04-01-2012, 12:21 PM
I have the full size M&P 9 that I use for target/plinking/competition. I loved it so much, that I bought a 40 compact for winter carry. (My new CM9 fills the summer/smaller carry role). They are great guns that run flawlessly. The 3 different size backstraps are great also. ;)

Barth
04-01-2012, 12:37 PM
I have a 9mm M&P Pro with the custom shop trigger on it and am very pleased with it. It has as close to a single action trigger as I've found. You can take up the slack until you feel resistance, then apply a little more pressure and the trigger breaks very crisply. For target shooting it's the best DAO trigger I've run across.

That sounds very much like my Glock with the Ghost Rocket.
I like the light, crisp, clean break at ~5lbs for target shooting.
But the pre-travel up to the wall for the break.
Followed by a very predictable break.
Allows me to carry the gun for SD.

1radman
04-01-2012, 03:30 PM
No experience with the M&P But my son has a walther P99 (the gun the PPQ replaced). It has a de-cocker on the slide and I think a different trigger. It's an excellent shooter and very reliable.

Gtfan
04-01-2012, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the advice it seems like they are both great guns.The main difference seems to be the walther has a better trigger other than that they are pretty much the same.The advantage of the m&p is it is American made so I think I am going to go with the m&p!thanks for all the replies!

crazymailman
04-01-2012, 04:08 PM
I think you made a good choice on the Smith. BTW, Apex makes some really good components to improve the triggers on those M&Ps just in case you aren't happy with the factory set-up.

1slinginlead2
04-01-2012, 04:24 PM
I've had two M&P's not the S&M version sorry. Both have been 100% reliable so far. Great ergonomics, great sights and points very natural. My accuracy is not as good as my Glock g23 but it is improving with use. I've a whole lot more experience with my Glock. Like 5,000+ on the Glock vs. about 700 on the second M&P. I cuurently have the M&P 9c and have no regrets.

Heads up before you by the M&P. If you catch them at the right time S&W runs free 2 mag offers. I got two free mags both times i purchased my M&Ps.